Lighters to collect that were used in movies

I just located an IMCO 4100 lighter. I didn't know that it even existed. The only difference I can see between it and the IMCO 4000 Streamline is that it has 3 ridges on it for grip rather than just one and it's round like the original IFA, not streamlined. Is that an Incremental improvement that didn't really catch on? No idea.

Edit: I see there's one shown on Worthpoint that has two ridges (not the three as I saw on the other one) and it also says No. 4100 on it.

Given its seeming rarity in searches, it's hard to say if they could be prototypes, short runs or I just wasn't looking for them.
Eager to see it(y)

The auction is going to be awhile. Here's what it looks like. It's not that different looking from the regular 1927 IFA EXTRA, just the ridges.

IMCO 4100 Example.jpg

Thanks, but there's still a lot of IMCO lighters that are near impossible to find. They're on that IMCO chart, but you almost never see one for sale (and are sky high when you do so I'm surprised I got this one for a reasonable price).

Looking at the 4400 that came out next, I see it retains the two "ridges" the other 4100 I saw had on it (previous IFA lighters had one ridge). You can see the progression. This one has three. It must have been an experimental prototype that one version has two and the other three, although it's hardly a cutting edge change to increase the number of thumb grip ridges. ;)

IMCO IFA 4100 (1935)

Given this lighter isn't on the IMCO history charts photos and the IMCO 4000 was 1934 and the IMCO 4400 was 1936, I'm assuming this one must be from 1935. The 4000 was a Streamline. This one is round like the original IFA lighter models. It was followed up by the 4400 in 1936 that is Octagonal and has two thumb rest ridges. I've seen one other 4100 in a photo and it had 2 ridges, so that clearly was carried on in the progression to the 4400 (I assume the octagonal shape was to increase strength of the body from getting crushed or something of that nature, but that's only a guess). This one, however has 3 ridges, but otherwise has the same markings as the other 4100 I saw.

So, given the lack of appearance in their own lighter history chart and thus far having only come across two of these on the planet (which in no way means there aren't thousands more sitting somewhere, even if it's a landfill), I have to wonder if it was simply not selling well enough due to a lack of difference between it and the IFA Extra (which it otherwise closely resembles other than the lack of 2 or 3 thumb rests), despite being made 7 years apart (the IFA Extra being much more common, but still uncommon compared to the 1926 IFA, which is the most common version as near as I can tell by available lighters for sale) or if it was a sort of experimental prototype set of changes (explaining why there's at least two versions with 2 or 3 ridges) that then was quickly incorporated into the 4400 a year later.... I simply can only guess until if/when I come across more information.

This one appeared to be in relative good condition on the outside. I took it apart and the inside was much more heavily tarnished, so I'm guessing someone polished the outside jacket at some point (it still cleaned up on the outer jacket considerably more when I polished both of them), but didn't take it apart to polish the inside lighter at the time.

The really strange thing is the outer jacket is in more or less excellent condition, but the inner lighter body has several dings/dents in it, some kind of deep, really which is more than just a pocket squeeze kind of damage, but that then begs the question of why the outer jacket wasn't also damaged in whatever accident the lighter was involved in and I simply don't have an answer. I can speculate that the outer jacket doesn't actually go with this lighter body or something happened at some point when it was taken apart. The thing is that the inner body is identical to the very common 1926 IFA lighter in every respect (same patent number, Made In Austria and IMCO logos, etc.) and only the outer jacket is different with the IFA Extra slanted vents, 4100 designation and extra thumb rests.

So, I could actually take a perfect 1926 body and apply the jacket to it and have a perfect 4100 for all intents and purposes as there is no way to tell them apart underneath. On the other hand, with the jacket on, you can't really see any of the dents with it shut and only a small bit when it's in the open position to light and, of course, it doesn't affect the lighter operation one bit. I also have no idea what its actual true value is since I have no pricing information and only eBay and other sales sites to gauge values for most of their lighters (only a few appear in one of my books). I got it for less than some 1926 lighters often ask, despite its rarity (I guess the people that might be most interested, if any, already have one and/or weren't looking for it).

In any case, with a new wick and packing installed and loosening the flint spring mechanism (unscrew slightly) so I could actually pull it back far enough to put a flint in (It was way too tight to fit a brand new flint in it the way it was) along with a good Flitz™ polish, it's working great (lights every time) and looks good. And if anyone has read this far, congratulations for being interested in IMCO lighter history, such as it is.

Click to view larger pictures/slideshow:

IMCO 4100 IFA 01.jpg IMCO 4100 IFA 02.jpg IMCO 4100 IFA 03.jpg IMCO 4100 IFA 04.jpg IMCO 4100 IFA 05 Lit.jpg

IMCO IFA 4100 (1935)

Given this lighter isn't on the IMCO history charts photos and the IMCO 4000 was 1934 and the IMCO 4400 was 1936, I'm assuming this one must be from 1935. The 4000 was a Streamline. This one is round like the original IFA lighter models. It was followed up by the 4400 in 1936 that is Octagonal and has two thumb rest ridges. I've seen one other 4100 in a photo and it had 2 ridges, so that clearly was carried on in the progression to the 4400 (I assume the octagonal shape was to increase strength of the body from getting crushed or something of that nature, but that's only a guess). This one, however has 3 ridges, but otherwise has the same markings as the other 4100 I saw.

So, given the lack of appearance in their own lighter history chart and thus far having only come across two of these on the planet (which in no way means there aren't thousands more sitting somewhere, even if it's a landfill), I have to wonder if it was simply not selling well enough due to a lack of difference between it and the IFA Extra (which it otherwise closely resembles other than the lack of 2 or 3 thumb rests), despite being made 7 years apart (the IFA Extra being much more common, but still uncommon compared to the 1926 IFA, which is the most common version as near as I can tell by available lighters for sale) or if it was a sort of experimental prototype set of changes (explaining why there's at least two versions with 2 or 3 ridges) that then was quickly incorporated into the 4400 a year later.... I simply can only guess until if/when I come across more information.

This one appeared to be in relative good condition on the outside. I took it apart and the inside was much more heavily tarnished, so I'm guessing someone polished the outside jacket at some point (it still cleaned up on the outer jacket considerably more when I polished both of them), but didn't take it apart to polish the inside lighter at the time.

The really strange thing is the outer jacket is in more or less excellent condition, but the inner lighter body has several dings/dents in it, some kind of deep, really which is more than just a pocket squeeze kind of damage, but that then begs the question of why the outer jacket wasn't also damaged in whatever accident the lighter was involved in and I simply don't have an answer. I can speculate that the outer jacket doesn't actually go with this lighter body or something happened at some point when it was taken apart. The thing is that the inner body is identical to the very common 1926 IFA lighter in every respect (same patent number, Made In Austria and IMCO logos, etc.) and only the outer jacket is different with the IFA Extra slanted vents, 4100 designation and extra thumb rests.

So, I could actually take a perfect 1926 body and apply the jacket to it and have a perfect 4100 for all intents and purposes as there is no way to tell them apart underneath. On the other hand, with the jacket on, you can't really see any of the dents with it shut and only a small bit when it's in the open position to light and, of course, it doesn't affect the lighter operation one bit. I also have no idea what its actual true value is since I have no pricing information and only eBay and other sales sites to gauge values for most of their lighters (only a few appear in one of my books). I got it for less than some 1926 lighters often ask, despite its rarity (I guess the people that might be most interested, if any, already have one and/or weren't looking for it).

In any case, with a new wick and packing installed and loosening the flint spring mechanism (unscrew slightly) so I could actually pull it back far enough to put a flint in (It was way too tight to fit a brand new flint in it the way it was) along with a good Flitz™ polish, it's working great (lights every time) and looks good. And if anyone has read this far, congratulations for being interested in IMCO lighter history, such as it is.

Click to view larger pictures/slideshow:

View attachment 1743104 View attachment 1743103 View attachment 1743102 View attachment 1743101 View attachment 1743100
It's a beauty for sure(y)(y)

I just bought another rare IMCO lighter (well the lighter is a Triplex, but its hand carved container is rare.... His head pops open and a flame comes out of his neck from the Triplex inside).

IMCO Carved Figure Lighter.jpg

IMCO Wooden Figure with Triplex Lighter (1937+)

Several different figures were made by IMCO using Triplex Lighter inserts. I'm not sure of the exact year of manufacture (IMCO history sites have been steadily disappearing over time), but you have to figure between 1937 and the mid 1950s when the Triplex Super came out. Based on the Patent Austria mark on this one, the late 1940s or early 1950s would be a good guess, IMO.

I couldn't help but notice the lighter removed with the head attached resembles a PEZ Candy dispenser to some degree.... I took photos of it in several states of assembly and lit angles. It works fine, but there's something odd and almost demonic about a wooden figure whose head pops open and fire shoots up out of his neck.... :D

Click for larger view/slideshow:

Showcase and Disassemble

IMCO Wooden Figure 01 Front.jpgIMCO Wooden Figure 02 Back.jpgIMCO Wooden Figure 03 Head Back.jpgIMCO Wooden Figure 04 Head Off.jpg IMCO Wooden Figure 05 Apart.jpg IMCO Wooden Figure 06 Lighter Closeup.jpg

Light Him Up....

IMCO Wooden Figure 07 Pez Head Lit.jpg IMCO Wooden Figure 08 Lit Front.jpg IMCO Wooden Figure 09 Lit Side.jpg

Evans Rhinestone Lighter Pattern 2 Brass Top (1940s/50s)

I picked up another one of these to fix up for someone I know that loves the rhinestone type lighters. I had one like this with a silver top already. I installed a new wick and packing (doesn't hold much, less than one large cotton ball and hard to get around the button switch inside).

Evans Rhinestone 2 Brass 01.jpg

Evans Rhinestone 2 Brass 02 Lit.jpg

Question for you: do you separate the lighters according to users? Some lighters are clearly used by men, while others by women.
Some are a little bit harder to define (unisex).

Question for you: do you separate the lighters according to users? Some lighters are clearly used by men, while others by women.
Some are a little bit harder to define (unisex).
No, I don't separate lighters except by displayability.

The 37 year old lady in question who wants this one is quite attractive (a little bit like Lizabeth Scott from Dead Reckoning), however. She's also available.... ;)

Last edited:
I was actually watching Bogart's Dead Reckoning (1947) when I noticed the main bad guy Chandler had a clear cube table lighter 1 hour and 8 minutes in.

Upon closer paused inspection, it appears to be an Evans mechanism. I did a little search on eBay and found it pretty quickly. It's on its way. I got it pretty cheap (under $20 shipped).

I'll get some comparison photos once I get the lighter...

eBay photo:

20231004_035538.jpg

Last edited:
Evans Lucite Lighter (1947) featured in Humphrey Bogart's 1947 movie DEAD RECKONING as Martinelli's desk lighter.

I saw this watching one of my favorite Bogart movies, 1947's Dead Reckoning where we once again see Bogart playing what he does best as a role of a detective-like sleuth to solve the murder of his fellow paratrooper comrade he marked to receive the Medal of Honor. One of the primary suspects is named Martinelli, played by Morris Carnovsky and at 1:08:30 in the movie we see him lighting up using the Evans Lucite body table lighter. While perhaps not as good as The Big Sleep (1945/46) or The Maltese Falcon (1941), having gorgeous Lizabeth Scott in it as the femme fatale certainly gave it a nice boost, in my opinion.

A quick trip to eBay resulted in finding one very quickly. However, while the lucite body was in very good condition, the lighter was in poor condition (see photo in above post to get a basic idea; that black area on the top in the front and back and the not smooth brass appearance wouldn't just polish clean), having a ton of tarnish, pits and other visual issues and a nasty stuck flint that I could not take apart from the top like a Ronson lighter because of the rivets used I can't replace.

Drilling out the flint got most of it out, but I spent another 45 minutes drilling and scraping from the bottom before it finally gave way. I spent another hour and a half sanding the lighter and polishing it. Sanding was possible because it's 100% brass. I then pulled all the cotton and what was left of the old wick (about a 1/4") and installed a new wick and cotton packing and polished the lucite body near the top as well. While not perfect, it's a massive improvement and now closely resembles the obviously shiny movie lighter in the scene, despite being in black and white.

Two snapshots from Dead Reckoning, showing the Evans lighter in Martinelli's hands, unlit and lit.

Click for a larger view/slideshow of all photos:

Dead Reckoning Evans Lucite Lighter 01.jpg Dead Reckoning Evans Lucite Lighter 02.jpg

My Evans Lucite lighter after restoration:

Click for a larger view:

Evans Lucite Lighter 01 B&W.jpg Evans Lucite Lighter 02 B&W.jpg Evans Lucite Lighter 03 Lit B&W.jpg

Last edited:
I keep forgetting to buy some Heet™ (Methanol) to try out my catalytic lighter I bought last summer "new" (unused since it was made in Germany in 1932).

You dip suspended platinum "starter" rod into the lighter and it reacts with methanol like in a car catalytic converter and becomes white hot which ignites the methanol and then burns like a regular lighter (plug platinum bit back into storage hole on the other side). Instead of a wick, it has wick material inserted like a sock inside the cylinder with cotton under it.

I guess you used to be able to buy methanol at the corner drug store in a lighter filler can back then. I've seen it for sale on Amazon by the quart, but I just need a small amount to try it out. I read Heet™ in the yellow bottle (not red) is like 99% methanol so that should work. I only seem to have a bottle of the red kind in my garage.

AKA (brand?) DRGM/DRP (Not a brand name; it means it was patented and made in Germany) Catalytic Lighter (1930)

DRP "AKA" Platinfeuerzeug DRGM -
as it says on the instruction sheet or (German Patent) AKA Platinum Lighter (Made In Germany)

Catalytic lighters work by suspending a small bit/ball of "black" platinum with platinum wires which react with Methanol (methyl alcohol) just like in a gasoline car's catalytic converter. It heats up red/white hot and this ignites the methyl alcohol that you pour into the lighter like you would lighter fluid in a regular wick lighter. It has a "wick sock" instead of a wick with cotton in the bottom. You generally insert the "starter" bit (suspended platinum" into the lighter or just above it to get the reaction (inserting it produces it faster, but I wanted to demonstrate the platinum ball heating up).

Some designs like a floral table lighter "pot" I came across store the platinum bit inside the actual lighter and the only thing keeping that thing from igniting and burning down your house while you're away is a rubber stopper preventing oxygen from getting into the lighter to react (flames need oxygen and so does the platinum to start the chemical reaction). But imagine if your dog/cat/pet knocked it over or something. House fires were supposedly being attributed to this type of lighter so they were actually banned for production some time in the 1960s in the US. This particular model here has a separate igniter that is only inserted to start the reaction and sealed off with a little built in stainless steel cover so it should be safe by comparison.

This lighter was never used so I figured it should work. Heet™ in the yellow bottle sold in auto stores like AutoZone™ in the US is mostly methanol alcohol so it should work. The problem is it didn't work. No reaction at all.

I looked up an article on them and it suggested despite platinum's resistance to corrosion, it can still get a layer on the outside blocking the reaction. It suggested you heat the platinum bits with a flame for a few seconds. This actually worked and the lighter is now fully functional. Burning methyl alcohol fumes smell suspiciously similar to auto fumes, though. They're probably not great to breathe in, but then I doubt lighter fluid is either.

The instructions show that you can light the old style 19th century house gas lights with just the platinum starter so I suppose the gas they were using must react with it. I got the year from the seller. I suspect it could actually be older based on other lighters talking about lighting gas lights with a catalyst dated 1920. I'm not sure how many house gas lights were still in use by the 1930s, but perhaps in Germany?

Click for larger view/slideshow:

DRP DRG Catalytic Lighter 01.jpg DRP DRG Catalytic Lighter 02.jpg DRP DRG Catalytic Lighter 03.jpg DRP DRG Catalytic Lighter 04.jpg DRP DRG Catalytic Lighter 05.jpg DRP DRG Catalytic Lighter 06 Light It.jpg DRP DRG Catalytic Lighter 07 Lit.jpg

Instruction Sheet in German:

AKA Catalytic Lighter Instructions 01.jpg AKA Catalytic Lighter Instructions 02.jpg

Last edited:
Wow...I've never heard/seen that type of lighter before...talk about risky piece :eek::eek::oops::oops:
Remember, it's a pocket lighter. You're supposed to carry that around in your pocket. ;)

Actually, I think that one is pretty safe as it keeps the platinum well away from the fuel chamber. It also seals quite nicely. I don't know where on earth I'd get a replacement "wick sock" for it, though if I actually used it much.

I bought an eBay lot of IMCO parts. I wasn't sure how many parts would be useful, but it looks promising for some items I'm missing, mainly the proper fuel caps and/or brass rings for them several of my lighters are missing. It turns out none fit my USA made Buddy lighters, but I did get to replace 3 of my homemade paperclip fuel cap rings with real IMCO ones as well as a 2200 fuel cap and ring (all three of my 2200 lighters have brass screws on the bottom, which aren't exactly convenient for refilling on-the-go. So at least one would be good for extended travel.

I was able to further along an IFA EXTRA lighter I was missing parts from by salvaging a flint spring mechanism, while another had lost its end "bulb" you pull on so I bent the end into a hook that can at least be pulled to make it work. I used some parts from the purchase to partially reconstruct a 1926 style IFA lighter. Both lighters ended up in the same condition (minus the bulb end on the one), which is to say they're complete except for paperclip rings (I wasn't using the good ones on them) and the missing snuffer caps, which I don't have parts for at the moment. They work fine, but the lighter fluid doesn't last very long with the wick exposed to air. Clearly, the snuffer cap slows evaporation substantially. The regular IFA had its flint spring box reattached by welding it on, which the welder splashed some on the side, unfortunately.

I also tried to rebuild another 2200 from parts (you can see my progress in the one photo), but it's missing the proper flint spring and clip, which is different from the IFA version so I couldn't use that one above on it. I also had a heck of a time getting the lid back on (how you're supposed to get that screw out of the spark wheel is beyond me; I bent things until I could get it out of the frame and left it in the wheel). I rigged a flint spring, but it didn't spark that well. If I can find that part, I could probably get it working, but it'll never be a real looker with some of the damage on it.

These are my 3 earliest model IMCO lighters (Left to Right, 1925 OKUM, 1922 IFA precursor, 1920 IFA precursor). They are now 100% complete with all original parts.

IMCO Original Three Lighters Complete.jpg

This is the IMCO 2200 (1930) with the added brass ring fuel cap instead of a brass screw:

IMCO 2200 Fuel Ring Added 01.jpg

These are the two lighters (1926 IFA and 1928 IFA Extra) I've mostly reconstructed minus the snuffer cap and original brass fuel cap rings:

IMCO Partial Extra and IFA.jpg

IMCO 2200 (1930) partially reconstructed from parts and the remaining parts bag from eBay:

IMCO Parts 01.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back