Lighters to collect that were used in movies

I've still been unable to locate a "Hob Nail" textured version as in the movie, but I just obtained this otherwise accurate lighter to the one from The Man With The Golden Gun in terms of Brand/Model and color. It's more of a barley/stripe, though, but it's fully functional unlike many Colibri's from the 1970s (the one in the movie wasn't actually functional, of course or even technically a Colibri, but a knockoff reproduction designed to attach with the other parts to make the gun, but this is the lighter it's based off of).

Colibri Molectric 88 Gold Lighter s.jpg
Colibri Molectric 88 Gold Lighter Lit s.jpg

I just bid on one notable movie cigarette lighter. A NOS 1970-1980 Dodge/ Mopar 12vdc automotive lighter.

Used in the 1974 Dodge Monaco, used in the Blues Brothers. Jake throws it out the window shortly after Elwood picks him up from prison.

I just bid on one notable movie cigarette lighter. A NOS 1970-1980 Dodge/ Mopar 12vdc automotive lighter.

Used in the 1974 Dodge Monaco, used in the Blues Brothers. Jake throws it out the window shortly after Elwood picks him up from prison.

Make sure it doesn't work like the one in the movie. :D

More lighters have arrived (not sure about movie possibilities, but Dunhills are quite common movies like Bond style ones with some classy high-end luxury lighters), but I'm pretty sure I have a lighter addiction at this point....)

Click for full size view or slideshow.

Dunhill Sylphide (gold plated stripe pattern)

Dunhill Sylphide Gold Stripe s.jpg Dunhill Sylphide Gold Stripe Lit s.jpg

Dunhill Rollagas (red lacquer with gold plating):

Dunhill Rollagas Red s.jpg Dunhill Rollagas Red Lit s.jpg

Hadson Moonlite (Silver or Chrome plated barley pattern):

Hadson Moonlite Cauvet Silver s.jpg Hadson Moonlite Cauvet Silver Lit s.jpg

At least it's working, piezo and flame.
It seems these colibri molectric were quite fragile, I got 3 for now two accurate and non working, one like yours, silver color and piezo was working. You can still remove all inner working parts and put inside a right body.

Last edited:
James Bond wants his lighter back....

Dunhill BroadboyMK 2 Long Roller Silver s.jpg
Dunhill Broadboy MK2 Long Roller Silver Lit s.jpg
Connery Lighter Dr No.jpg

I was thinking of bidding on this one, but it's pretty damn pricey and has some brass around the edges (I spruced the pictures a bit with Photoshop to make it darker as it would need to be oxidized to match the movie version) where the silver plating is worn off a bit and a scratch on the front side. Plus the movie was in plain plated, which is custom and cannot be matched directly not matter how much you want to spend (you could get a solid silver one and polish it down flat I suppose).

EDIT: I tried. I bid the second most of any lighter I've ever bought (behind the Maltese Falcon one) and still lost. It's not exact enough anyway, which would eat away at me. I'd be getting it sanded down and re-plated to match the movie more exactly or something (PITA).

Last edited:
I got another gold Rollagas in today. This one is "Hobnail" texture. Ironically, that is the texture for the "Golden Gun" Colibri Molectric 88 I've been looking for. I've got a picture included of it next to my "barley texture" Rollagas from Kingsman to compare.

Dunhill Rollagas Gold Hobnail s.jpg
Dunhill Rollagas Gold Hobnail Lit s.jpg

Dunhill Compare Hobnail to Barley Gold s.jpg

I got another gold Rollagas in today. This one is "Hobnail" texture. Ironically, that is the texture for the "Golden Gun" Colibri Molectric 88 I've been looking for. I've got a picture included of it next to my "barley texture" Rollagas from Kingsman to compare.
Hi VonMagnum, I was lucky enough to get my hands on the correct hobnail molectric 88 and also a pack of Scaramanga’s favourite cigarettes. The lighter as you will know is extremely rare. It took me a long time to find.

View attachment 1092645 View attachment 1092644

View attachment 1092643
EA9636B9-2C08-48B3-914B-883D73CEF878.jpeg

This lighter is the same model lighter (Zunder 1000) used in Inglourious Basterds (it's shown from the other flat metal side so I don't know what design it happened to use (I've got another one that's leather wrapped that obviously doesn't match), but this is as good as any, probably better as it's from the infamous 1936 Olympics in Berlin, Germany a few years before World War II started (and also the same year Raiders of the Lost Ark was supposed to take place). I just obtained this one off eBay.

Olympics 1936 Berlin Lighter s.jpg
Olympiade Berlin Lighter Lit s.jpg

Last edited:
I just watched Hellraiser III and noticed this is Terry Farrell's lighter in the movie (loads of them on eBay). It's a Continental lighter (Made In Japan) that's pretty much a clone of the Zippo style.

Chesterfield Lighter.jpg

Never seen this thread before!

As a filthy smoker, who has owned and lost a few knock-off Chinese Constantines over the years, and owns one of the official ones for he past 18 months, now hidden away, would love to collect more zippos/ lighters from movies.

Now I want to accept every offer of lighters people I've known aged 70+ have ever offered me (old used lighters from their 20's or their parents), to see if any of them match up. I think two do that have been listed in this thread. Accepting the offer 5 years later may be tough though!

This Dunhill is a bit closer to the Tomorrow Never Dies lighter (flat gold finish instead of barley pattern or whatever the pattern's called here), but same style lighter, although I think that one was from the 1990s and this one is from somewhere between 1928-1939.

Dunhill Unique Sports Gold Front 2s.jpg

Dunhill Unique Sports Gold Back Lit s.jpg

I bought two more Colibri Molectric 88 lighters (Silver dual stripe and Chrome stripe). It's the same brand/model from The Man With The Golden Gun, but different color/textures. Both are fully serviced and working. The chrome one is slightly shorter (different year?). Hmmm, looking closer, the shorter chrome one (right below) says "Molectric" on the bottom while the silver one says "Molectric 88" on the bottom. I guess that makes the chrome one a slightly different model (looks the same inside; it's just a bit smaller). Looking in the inside lid, it does say "Molectric 88" there so I can only assume it's a different year.

Colibri Molectric 88 Silver Dual Stripe s.jpg
Colibri Molectric 88 Chrome Stripe s.jpg

Colibri Molectric 88 Silver Dual Stripe Lit s.jpg
Colibri Molectric 88 Chrome Stripe Lit s.jpg

Last edited:
A Molectric 88 in Gold Hobnail (James Bond 007 - The Man With The Golden Gun lighter part of the golden gun was based on this actual lighter body) was up for auction earlier today on eBay from Britain (first one I've seen for sale in a year and a half in that color and texture. Unfortunately, I had to bid on it with my phone from work and the slow interface compared to a PC has lost me bids before that jumped at the last second (more so than a browser anyway) and sure enough, it happened again. I should have bid a lot higher. It was at £12 ($15 US) and I bid £40 with about 15 seconds to go and it said too low, bid £50 or higher and I put £70 as fast as I could with the stupid phone web interface and then the "are you sure" crap and it had 2 seconds to go and didn't register fast enough and it sold for £55 ($69 USD + shipping + tax). I'm not sure it's really even worth that much, but they come up so rarely....

Obviously, more than one person knew it was from The Man With The Golden Gun and were sniping at the last few seconds as I got no indication prior that it was jumping upward. Typically, even working Molectric 88s typically sell for $40 or less (it wasn't clear if this one worked for sure or not; it said "good shape but needs gas" or something like that which means there's a good chance it leaks or otherwise won't function. I just bought two recently fully serviced in near mint condition ($28 and $35 in Silver and Chrome, respectively as shown in the post two above plus a gold one in two stripe I bought many months earlier) so I'm sure that's why. The real lighter wasn't actually in the movie (it was a prop made to look like that lighter body that assembled into the gun; there isn't room inside for a lighter and a bullet chamber) so it's not in high demand as some props are (like the Maltese Falcon lighter), but it obviously is in some demand just the same and rarely comes up for sale. I should have realized sooner I wanted it more badly (mostly because I'm sick of waiting for one to come up for sale) and just bid higher to begin with. But hell, if you're going to spend into the hundreds range, it might be worth considering putting it towards one of those movie prop replicas of the actual full prop instead. I guess I'll keep an eye out for another one at some point.

There's a few lighters I'm looking for that come up very rarely like that which aren't necessarily terribly valuable lighters in general, but there's so few left or in circulation at least that it's a PITA just keeping an eye out, especially when people list lighters oddly sometimes (I've been able to buy several somewhat valuable Dunhills for at least 1/4 their eBay value (let alone from dealers or private sales) under bad listings that had no idea the model name or their actual value). "Dunhill lighter" turns up all kinds of non-specific hits compared to "Dunhill Unique" or "Dunhill Unique Sport", for example but sometimes that's all that's in the listing, but it's a pain to search through a few hundred lighters every few weeks (or dozens every few days; Colibri in particular has THOUSANDS of lighters out there every day on eBay and most of them are junk and related to nothing movie-wise of interest so trying to find something like the Electro-Quartz model used in say Blade Runner (that as far as I can tell had no specific name to search for to have an automatic search narrow it down) can be an exercise in futility. OTOH, once in awhile you get lucky.

Other times, it's not so hard to find the lighter (e.g. There's been TWO Dunhill Broadboy Mark II lighters for sale for some time that are the same brand/model as the famous lighter from Dr. No and Goldfinger that Sean Connery used, but the texture was custom so they're not exact without modifying them (and some might say thereby destroying their true inherent value as actual collector's items, but I suppose it comes down to what one is looking for) and the two in question are both over $4K ($4200 vs $5700 give or take a few dozen bucks). I'm not that interested in one and I gather neither is anyone else or they wouldn't sit on eBay unpurchased for literally years at a time. I think the cheaper one isn't sterling silver, but if you're gong to pay that much for al lighter, what's an extra $1500? The silver plated one can degrade over time with any kind of friction/use. The sterling one could be used and still last indefinitely, but my god is that worth that much when it's not even from the movie? My answer is NO. I still can't believe I paid just over $800 for a near-mint Maltese Falcon Touch Tip.... People I know at work thought I was NUTS. ;)

Last edited:
I finally was able to win an auction for the real deal....

I just received a Colibri Molectric 88 lighter in Hobnail (aka The Man With The Golden Gun lighter that part was based on). I just ordered some Colibri butane (comes with proper fill adapter as none of my existing ones fit right). It might leak (untested) anyway at which point I can either swap the innards with an already refurbished Molectric 88 (I have a working gold one in the wrong texture) or possibly change the O-ring or whatever myself (still sparks).

James Bond Man With Golden Gun Lighter Colibri Molectric 88 Closed.jpg
James Bond Man With Golden Gun Lighter Colibri Molectric 88 Open.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back