Licensed Star Wars Costumes from Museum Replicas

I'm not talking to just people in this thread but I have seen the same thing on other forums.
Most people seem to be attacking the 300 items and their lack of accuracy. Please, come up with some informed complaints. 30 secs of reading would tell you that the 300 items are based on the GRAPHIC NOVEL, not what was seen on film.

Others of you have made some valid quality control issues so I am not contesting your knowledge.
I think the props look great myself and I am eagerly awaiting costumes from the star wars films.
At least give them a chance!

Well said...:thumbsup

The biggest problem I see, as a Costume Judge for the Rebel Legion, is if the costumes come out less than stellar and missing important details it's gonna be tough to tell someone that their expensive, LFL approved and licensed costume doesn't cut the mustard.

The only upside I can see is that it might give people some other avenues for costumes PARTS like belts, boots, holsters that maybe they are having trouble finding another way of buying. Take the Han Solo holster for example. Currently you can have one made custom for around $300 or buy a crap one from eBay for $40. If there was soemthing in between it would be a plus.
I agree since we are at the same position right now. I will hate to see non crinkled fabric for Obi-Wan tunics or BLACK fabric for Anakin tunic and tabbards or another details from this costumes and having to decline them. I will heard a lot of: Hey! It is an official one!:cry Why are declining it?

And second you about you second point. It will be great to be able to buy parts like boots, buckles or even pouches. I am tired to do them, no, just kidding. I never said that, I never did them :angel

Well, on a bright note a some of the Jedi fabrics CAME from India IIRC so that may be a strong point.
I get my Museum Replicas stuff wholesale so I am hoping for a good product line that I can offer and Im hoping that theres enough of a markup on their MSRP that I can offer great discounts and still make a few bucks :)

I agree since we are at the same position right now. I will hate to see non crinkled fabric for Obi-Wan tunics or BLACK fabric for Anakin tunic and tabbards or another details from this costumes and having to decline them. I will heard a lot of: Hey! It is an official one!:cry Why are declining it?

And second you about you second point. It will be great to be able to buy par
ts like boots, buckles or even pouches. I am tired to do them, no, just kidding. I never said that, I never did them :angel

Edited because apparently the statements that I based my statement on are open to interpretation.

Last edited:
Onigiri, are you or anyone here going to the Transworld wholesaler's show in Vegas? Museum Replicas is going.. I was thinking, they might have some of the things there already.. (before SDCC) My boss is going & I'm going to ask him to look out for any SW things..

Am I right in thinking the Rubies version will be made from vinyl?

In terms of personal injury claims, I can't see how any TK armour could be mass-marketed without this being an issue. As eveyone who has suited up in white plastic knows, it's not the most comfortable thing to wear!

Not sure how they will get around that issue.

No sure what its made of Al,

From the pic Rubies sent me it looks ABS but there's no guarantee that the pic in the photo is the final version

Rubies%20Stormtrooper%20middle1.jpg

Rubies%20Stormtrooper%20legs.jpg

I agree with your point - mass producing white armour is not the easiest think and you always have to keep one eye on "customer service" issues (including possible litigation)

Cheers

Jez

Well, on a bright note a lot of the Jedi fabrics CAME from India IIRC so that may be a strong point.

Actually not true at all, the quote you are referencing, I assume is the one about the Jedi fabrics being Indian Homespun? It was a misquoted from a production designer. Trisha went all over the world for fabrics and many have been used, including Qui-Gons being Raw Silk.

"Not true at all"
You may have found a better way to pop in to a conversation.
If you look at my statement I believe the term IIRC (If I recall Correctly) I was not making a BLANKET statement and what I DID say was based, erroneously or not, on something (mis)quoted by someone attached to production. Communicating properly and inoffensively, ie think before you post, would go a long way toward eliminating some of the problem threads on this board. so, if ANY of the Jedi fabric was from India then to say,"not true at all" is inaccurate statement is it not?

Actually not true at all, the quote you are referencing, I assume is the one about the Jedi fabrics being Indian Homespun? It was a misquoted from a production designer. Trisha went all over the world for fabrics and many have been used, including Qui-Gons being Raw Silk.

Last edited:
I got one of their Kingdom of Heaven "King Baldwin" face masks a few years ago and the quality was terrible. For starters, it just came in a plain brown cardboard box. The mask was supposed to have been cast from the original mask, which was made from metal. The replica is made of silver painted plastic, badly finished, with visible seams. The stand was shoddy, with splinters of wood sticking out of the base and scratched paint work.

The future doesn't look good........come back MR, haha!

"Not true at all"
You may have found a better way to pop in to a conversation.
If you look at my statement I believe the term IIRC (If I recall Correctly) I was not making a BLANKET statement and what I DID say was based, erroneously or not, on something (mis)quoted by someone attached to production. Communicating properly and inoffensively, ie think before you post, would go a long way toward eliminating some of the problem threads on this board. so, if ANY of the Jedi fabric was from India then to say,"not true at all" is inaccurate statement is it not?

:confused yeah because telling someone they should have found a better way to enter a conversation or saying I have a lack of communication skils is something non offensive?

There may be issues on thr forum about communication problems and flaming, but I am hardly one of the contributers. Part of my freedom of speech is I can start my posts any way I would like you, simply because it was rebuttal to you personally, does not mean I cannot communicate properly, so thank you for taking what I said as such an erroneous attack on your personal ethic of communication.

I said I assumed where you got the idea from, however there has been no proof that the fabrics coming from India, aside from a comment around TPM from a production design and not a costume staff, so therefore it being GREAT that the costumes will be made in India for that reason is what is erroneous, especially specifically on the costumes they are recreating, which are the ones I was mentioning because saying that about XY Jedi from X movie in this thread would be kind of useless when they are making specific characters costumes.

Its a common misconception that has popped up on every single costume forum about Jedi costumes and somehow its managed to stick around even when tons of research into the material has not produced a single thread of evidence that the material was even used for prequel Jedi.

I am sorry if my lack of communication skills have prompted you to reciprocate this emerging attitude to posters yourself by rather than discussing the costumes you single me out and decide to make a big deal about something not even there.

As I said before, I will wait and see first hand what the final product looks like.

But I have read a lot of the concerns here and on other boards about the quality and track record of this company as compared to price point. So this past weekend I was at WonderCon in San Fransisco and had a few minutes to talk to Steve (Sansweet) about this. He said the bottom line is this, "They have never had to deal with Lucas Lic and our quality standards." That might not be the exact quote but it is very close.

LFL can talk about quality standards in their licensed replicas all they want, but one look at Rubies...and some of the goofs MR made as well shows us that doesn't mean a whole lot.

I have to agree with both of you. And further more I would also add that LFL can approve a great looking series of prototypes all day long but when the production run comes out it is a completely different story and LFL doesn't have much involvement at that point as it is up to the Lic'ee to deal with it's own quality control or lack there of.

Yeah if Rubies passes LFL licensing standards then I'm not too convinced they are going to be very critical with 'Museum'.

Flat out there's very few companies who do as well as the talent that exists on these forums.

I have to say through the years I have been on here I wished the amount of hard work all of you put into your replicas were put into these licensed ones. Almost everything I've seen you guys make... Truly impressed and a credit to staying true to the original details. I really admire that. If the quality is great I'll buy from a not-so-well-known over a well-known licensed mass producer any day.

Hank passed? I did not know that. Back when I was looking for good quality stuff I used to correspond with him and he was VERY helpful and I loved the company. Torn about a TRUE quality suit but we'll see. ITMT I'll still be getting mine deep deep down there. Here's to hoping they come out with some real cool stuff.

As a guy who spent money on a Rubies Vader and then had to spend one heckuvalot more to make it look like the picture on the box, I concur with the concerns with LFL's enforcement of reasonable quality standards.

Let's just hope that LFL has learned from the mess that they and Rubies made of the Vader when it comes to the new stormtrooper and other upcoming costumes.

Huzz

Last edited:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back