Licensed Star Wars Costumes from Museum Replicas

FYI folks I have a wholesalers license with Museum replicas which is why I was talking to them. My hope is that the qulaity is good and that there is enough markup to offer discounts and still pocket some change...fingers crossed.

I've heard nside might carry the line too so there is the possibility for
price reductions from the MuRep list.

OK, here's a question... I got a "GREAT" trooper costume (TE) and wear it to work for halloween. I get a lot of thumbs up, "that's great" and so on, but I get the occasional, "Oh, he bought that" or "It's rented" which bugs me considering that , even though I didn't make it, I did have to put it together, and I let people know that.

When the Rubies "delux" costumes came out, there were "concerns" about their quality and the 501st yadda, yadda.. with HEAVY mods, I guess their OK.

Now, here's the question. Considering that these will be a "mass produced piece" that anyone with the money can buy, would you still wear it with the same pride as you would something that was "hand made" (by you or another tallented person) Or would that fact that it was comercially available "cheapen " it in a way?

I would love a Jedi Luke costume, and if it were well made, I'd buy it. But if someone asked me if I made it, the fact that I would have to say "No, I bough it" would stick in my throught before it made it past my lips...

Now, here's the question. Considering that these will be a "mass produced piece" that anyone with the money can buy, would you still wear it with the same pride as you would something that was "hand made" (by you or another tallented person) Or would that fact that it was comercially available "cheapen " it in a way?

I don't know. Technically I bought most of my current costumes anyway since I just learned to sew. I've painted a few things and done some leather work here and there. But all the soft parts and pouches and stuff I bought. I think it comes down to your attitude. I wouldn't mind buying a nice costume and wearing it. Doens't bother me. Of course if someone compliments me I'm fine with saying, "Oh, I bought this."

would you still wear it with the same pride as you would something that was "hand made" (by you or another tallented person)?

Personally (and ONLY speaking for myself), I couldn't, no. Of course, you have to understand that I've been into SW costuming since 1999, been trooping as Boba with the 501st since 2002 (thanks to the resources at TDH), and continue to make new costumes and accessories for myself and others. I'm at the point now where if I want a costume, I'm more inclined to try and reproduce it on my own rather than purchase it, even if it's less expensive and/or faster than making it myself. If I make it myself, I get a lot of satisfaction from the end result and knowing that *I* was responsible for its creation and that I didn't just plunk down $$$$ to have a wearable costume shipped to me, ready-to-wear. It also instills a lot of pride in me to make my own costumes, and it's great to be able to let others know that you made something yourself when they ask "did you BUY that???". :D

For someone starting out, or someone who's not hardcore into costuming (and isn't going to wear it 12 times a year), it's probably a fine route to go, though. These costumes have their place, and that's fine. I just don't think I could ever wear one personally. :)

I'm with you, Fetthunter.

But also, I suspect the overall quality will be confined to mass-production standards, and never match that of a master seamstress or someone with a true passion for a particular costume.

The Anakin leather tabards appear to be top-stitched at the very edge, which is of course wrong. But again, for an average fan, just having the right texture, color and proportions is more than enough. Hell, I'd wear it.

Hey, if you're going to do it, might as well do it right. That's always been my moto.

So there were no Han Solo costumes on display? I'm very disappointed. :(

No doubt, they're still researching that one. :D

Hey, if you're going to do it, might as well do it right. That's always been my moto.

So there were no Han Solo costumes on display? I'm very disappointed. :(

No doubt, they're still researching that one. :D
Trust me when I say, they will have many more props and costumes to unveil at future conventions especially at next year's Comic-con.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back