Let's see your ANH / ESB Stormtrooper costumes!

Picture019.jpg

Hey bud - no offense, but this thread is for ANH and ESB Stormtroopers... besides your belt is in the wrong place...:confused

Well what we've seen so far has been pretty damn good, but for 2,400 views I had expected a few more.
C'mon guys - charge up your digital cameras and let's see some more retro 1976/77 goodness.

Maybe we should be 'scoring' each costume?
Canvas belt = +2 points
Canvas & Plastic belt attached to armour by poppers = +3 points
Black jodphur/chelsea boots painted white = +2 points
Legs and arms 'butted' together with plastic strips covering the seams (ie. no overlap) = +3 points
4 piece helmet with weathered-effect paint job = +4 points
Use of Velcro = -2 points
Subtle scuffing on armour and use of gaffer-tape = +3 points
Big 1970's mullet hair and porkchop sideburns (under the helmet) = +5 points :lol live the dream...

I'm not discriminating against the guys who put on their Armor F/X suits, go out trooping and have a load of fun... indeed, my first Stormtrooper costume was an Armor F/X from Wookiee Cantina back in 1999, but I get a real kick out of seeing the super-accurate troopers that people devote hours to creating :thumbsup

Cheers,
John

Just post a pic of TM's armor and be done with it if you're having a contest. How about we try to refrain from making fun of other members (camel toe)? M'kay?

According to your scoring, I'd get a -2 total. lol!

st02.jpg

Last edited:
Just some more pics...mine looks great in the office because the mannequin is about the right height/shape.....i'm a bit to wide around the waist!!

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_4719.jpg

Nice pics guys.... and I agree Clutch - straight out of the box a TM set is gonna win any ANH/ESB accuracy contest. Although you could argue that a TM set of armour with a good movie-cast helmet would be the ultimate combo.
(no offence to TM's trooper helmet, but as an original sculpt I don't think it's as accurate as one cast from an original ANH helmet... although it's a GREAT sculpt, there's not denying it :))

And it's not an official competition or anything... just a bit of fun, that's all. I have a GF ANH Stormtrooepr costume which is inaccurate in many ways, but it's a helluva nice piece of work and the quality of finish is superb.
Just looking for inspiration on ways to make it a lil' bit more accurate :thumbsup
I'd be a nervous wreck taking a Dremel to it, to do the whole strips down the front of arms / legs thing, so I might wuss out on that :$

the mannequin is about the right height/shape.....i'm a bit to wide around the waist!!

You're too wide for a trooper suit, but you can somehow get into the driver's seat of a Countach?! :confused
Assuming that's your car in your Avatar, Nick then you're a lucky bloke. Is it the real deal or a looky-likey?

Cheers,
John

Nice pics guys.... and I agree Clutch - straight out of the box a TM set is gonna win any ANH/ESB accuracy contest. Although you could argue that a TM set of armour with a good movie-cast helmet would be the ultimate combo.
(no offence to TM's trooper helmet, but as an original sculpt I don't think it's as accurate as one cast from an original ANH helmet... although it's a GREAT sculpt, there's not denying it :))

And it's not an official competition or anything... just a bit of fun, that's all. I have a GF ANH Stormtrooepr costume which is inaccurate in many ways, but it's a helluva nice piece of work and the quality of finish is superb.
Just looking for inspiration on ways to make it a lil' bit more accurate :thumbsup
I'd be a nervous wreck taking a Dremel to it, to do the whole strips down the front of arms / legs thing, so I might wuss out on that :$

You're too wide for a trooper suit, but you can somehow get into the driver's seat of a Countach?! :confused
Assuming that's your car in your Avatar, Nick then you're a lucky bloke. Is it the real deal or a looky-likey?

Cheers,
John

Yup..it's the real deal.(sold it a couple of years ago now!:cry:cry)...but it was great fun...I still think the best lookig/sounding car ever!!

lambo.jpg

111-1144_IMG.jpg

104-0429_IMG.jpg

Sorry...not trying to hijack the thread!!

Man, that last pic would look AMAZING if it wasn't for those three ugly cars taking the focus away from the awesome Volvo estate...

:p

Cheers, Gord.

... if it wasn't for those three ugly cars taking the focus away from the awesome Volvo estate...

:lol You cheeky sod, Gord! Although if it was a T5..... :love

I had a poster of a white Lamborghini Countach on my bedroom wall all through my teenage years, and I always wanted one when I 'grew up'...
The I heard Jeremy Clarkson rating it as the worst car he's ever driven (heavy clutch, zero rear visibility, rear of car wider than the front etc.)
....and of course I live down a narrow country lane, so everytime I meet a tractor I have to put my car halfway up the ditch or find a recessed gateway, so we can pass one another.
And of course, they're still not exactly cheap!

But it just looks soooo nice :love If you still owned it nowadays Nick, you'd have loads of young 'uns driving chavv'ed up Corsa'a, Saxo's, Golf's etc. saying to you "Your car's got doors just like mine!" LOL
Nothing against modified cars, but the latest craze seems to be 'Lambo style doors'... but of course the Countach was the first one to have 'em :thumbsup

Big slap on the wrist for me taking the thread off-topic with car-talk... anymore accurate ANH/ESB Stormtrooepr owners out there? :)

Cheers,
John

:lol You cheeky sod, Gord! Although if it was a T5..... :love

I had a poster of a white Lamborghini Countach on my bedroom wall all through my teenage years, and I always wanted one when I 'grew up'...
The I heard Jeremy Clarkson rating it as the worst car he's ever driven (heavy clutch, zero rear visibility, rear of car wider than the front etc.)
....and of course I live down a narrow country lane, so everytime I meet a tractor I have to put my car halfway up the ditch or find a recessed gateway, so we can pass one another.
And of course, they're still not exactly cheap!

But it just looks soooo nice :love If you still owned it nowadays Nick, you'd have loads of young 'uns driving chavv'ed up Corsa'a, Saxo's, Golf's etc. saying to you "Your car's got doors just like mine!" LOL
Nothing against modified cars, but the latest craze seems to be 'Lambo style doors'... but of course the Countach was the first one to have 'em :thumbsup

Big slap on the wrist for me taking the thread off-topic with car-talk... anymore accurate ANH/ESB Stormtrooepr owners out there? :)

Cheers,
John

Clutch was actually pretty light...I used to get stuck in traffic jams all the time and it was no problem...easy to see out the back and my wife used to love taking her friends out in it!!....remember my car was 21 years old so you can't compare it to a modern car in that respect!

65EDCC9B-43A7-4B88-B0C2-01F7578B05C.jpg

Wife driving

111-1178_IMG.jpg

View out the back

IMG_4704.jpg

My ANH stormie...to keep it on track!!

Excuse the OT
I have pm'd/emailed you on a couple of forums to no avail, unless you are giving me the cold shoulder:lol

Joe

No cold shoulder... just a couple of root canals, sinus infection and now an inner ear condition/infection, so I've been a frequent lurker / infrequent poster this past while.

Email sent.

Cheers,
John

Great thread... I'll post pics of mine soon ;)...

Just out of curiosity (I know is not trooper related but I cant resit)

Which car is the one just behind your lamborgini ?? Looks amazing.

104-0429_IMG.jpg

Guys, this isnt even off topic its more like half and half troopers and lambos!

Can we clean er up a bit or start a lambo/car thread in the OT once all PMs etc. are done?

And yeah still love the Countach! :cool

Guys, this isnt even off topic its more like half and half troopers and lambos!

Can we clean er up a bit or start a lambo/car thread in the OT once all PMs etc. are done?

And yeah still love the Countach! :cool

Yeah, and wasn't the Testarossa a great car too?! :lol j/k!

LOL... sorry Oldken... my bad for comparing Nicklambo's girth in a trooper suit to his girth in a Countach seat, and then when he started showing all those lovely pics I couldn't resist :love

I think all the super-accurate ANH/ESB suits must have dried up anyways... bit of a shame. :unsure

Just for the hell of it I dressed up my mannequin in my GF movie-cast suit earlier today (it had been in boxes for the last 2 years), so I'll post some pics in the morning which will get us back on track. Not as accurate as others posted here, but there's one feature I've added which I don't think has been seen before... :)

Cheers,
John

Back on track...here are a couple of troopers from Disney World....really recomend it if you can get out there when the Star Wars dates are on!

IMG_4144.jpg

IMG_5626.jpg

IMG_5638.jpg

Oh...and a Jango for good measure!

O.K. here's a couple of pics of my ANH GF Stormtrooper costume. I love it's build quality and sturdiness, but I've decided the time has come to accurize it over the coming months, and display it on a spare mannequin that I have :)

I managed to find rubber gloves that are indistinguishable from the originals, and for all I know they may even be the same type as used in ANH. They have rubber checked patterns on the fingernail areas, as well as the palm of the glove.

I've never been a big fan of *vac-formed* plastic handplate armour for ANH troopers so I set about making some latex ones that I could glue onto the back of the rubber gloves...

closeup_gloves.jpg

closeup_glove.jpg

Those aren't *my* sausage fingers by the way... they're my mannequin's LOL

two_gloves.jpg

Note the dark honey-colour of the cured latex on the back of the handguard on the right of the picture. If you watch ANH frame-by-frame as I often do :$ you'll see loads of places where the white paint/dye has worn-off the troopers handguards, exposing this dark latex colour... probably with handling the blasters etc. etc.

Well I couldn't let my mannequin have all the fun, so I suited-up and grabbed a resin ANH blaster for a pic or two:

holding_blaster.jpg

And finally, just for fun I took a section from a movie still of Han in the detention block (Thanks Paul :)), cropped one of my pics and grayscaled it to see how they'd compare:

movie_compare.jpg

If anyone wants to have a look for these, the brand name is Toughie (printed on the inside wrist area, along with the size of the glove)

Next on the list is a canvas belt, and repaint the ab-plate buttons the correct colour. Longer term would be to remove the velcro from the arms, legs etc. and permanently glue them, but I've had some bad experience with ABS cement in the past so I'm a lil' bit wary of doing this.
I hear great things about E6000 from people who have assembled styrene suits - does it bond well with ABS? :confused

Cheers,
John

Wow, looking good John:thumbsup

I realy like what you've done with your gloves and those awesome latex handplates, that the kind of details I love to see on displays.

Is that a resin blaster you're holding?

Might be a good time for an upgrade too:).
(check out with Wtac, he will be offering real deact Sterlings at good price real soon)

I want a pair of these, got any spare:love
closeup_gloves.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back