Large scale Millennium Falcon Kit ID's**New Maps at start of thread**

Re: Large scale Millennium Falcon Kit ID's

Hey, does anyone have an overall length for the Semovente gun halves on the top turret, please?

Nice one Stu! I suspected of a 1/16 Sherman for the suspension pasted over the Centurion chassis bellow the falcon, but couldn't find any info too.

Nwerke said:
Hey, does anyone have an overall length for the Semovente gun halves on the top turret, please?

Here you go mate!

*EDIT: changed measures!

Last edited:

Thanks Rod. I have all the turret parts bar that one now; FWIW I am getting almost the same dims you did. Fractional differences only, within the margin of error of the resolution of the ref pics.

Is the top turret off-round, do you reckon? Weird-arse distortion is weird-arse.

You are welcome Martyn.
Is the top turret off-round, do you reckon? Weird-arse distortion is weird-arse.

YEAH MAN! I have been tinkering with that thought these last few days! :wacko
There is something off with the turret, and specially with that "naked" turret on the top view shot from the Chronicles book, it sure gives me bigger dims than any other picture, including the VEH_IA_35 pic.
It seems that all those pictures have a lot of distortion to correct, unfortunately the turret has too few and small kit bashing on it and I still need to collect all of them, and the Semovente part is now missing what a drag!
I did a new estimate with the Valentine part, although it is hidden by the guns in most of the pics I have got, (has any one got clear pictures of this part in a full view of the turret?)
Well, I estimated that the space between the turret plexy and the edge of the turret was between 2,49 - 2,52 cm almost 1".
What gave me different lengths in different pics:wacko

There's a dimensional issue with the top view pic showing the naked turret (what IS that thing, anyway? Can't be the blank for the turret itself, surely; those would have been detailed and painted at the same time as the hull, no?)

Anyway, keep in mind that the turret is located on a plane that is four or five inches closer to the camera than the plane defined by the edges of the hull. And the edges of the hull are a good 20 inches outboard of the edge of the turret, so as the crow flies the distance is greater again. Thus the turret appears larger than it is in relation to the overall hull.

There's another missing part too, by the way; a small square grill directly below the replacement for the missing left Semovente part. Is it original, or part of the fixups? All part of the mounting point cover and must have been beaten up repeatedly. :(

Oh, also, the Valentine part sits on a square of styrene that actually projects forward off the edge of the turret. Beware that! As for pics, the "SAG" photo does show the full fore/aft length of the turret, with the full length of the Valentine part also visible.

I found this Saracen (and a Matilda) today and thought this pic might be useful for a large scale Falcon.

:lol

Hi,

Ok, I'm racking up some revised and new maps which I aim to post soon. However what I wanted to do is strip out the old ones and slot the new ones at the start of the thread rather than having them strung out across the pages.

My question is, how do I edit this thread, haven't done that before.? I'm being really dumb here I know but I can't seem to see how to get shot of the old links....

Nick

Doh, nevermind. About a nano second after I posted the last message I noticed the edit button against my posts.. cunningly concealed under the title of, er EDIT( sigh) I'll get there in the end....

Hi,

Ok, I'm racking up some revised and new maps which I aim to post soon. However what I wanted to do is strip out the old ones and slot the new ones at the start of the thread rather than having them strung out across the pages.

My question is, how do I edit this thread, haven't done that before.? I'm being really dumb here I know but I can't seem to see how to get shot of the old links....

Nick

Doh, nevermind. About a nano second after I posted the last message I noticed the edit button against my posts.. cunningly concealed under the title of, er EDIT( sigh) I'll get there in the end....

You, ah, could have hit 'edit' on that post itself and, er, removed the incriminating evidence, LOL. Just sayin'!

Yeah, hit edit then choose 'go advanced' and you get the full editor, with attachment control window for the pics and so on. If you could pop all the maps into the first page that would be *stellar*.

Have just added the Tamiya 1/35 StuG III Ausf. G sprue pics to Simon's kit scans thread, gents.

Got a migraine, somebody let me know what bits I failed to spot, I'm sure there's a couple. :)

Stu, Rod, here is what I am getting for the upper turret wall height using the Esci parts. Can you please check my dims - especially, are these common US sizes for the two thicknesses of plating styrene on top?

Rod, I'm now getting 11.5" overall diameter and 11" precisely top diameter.

large-scale-millennium-falcon-kit-ids-turret_height.jpg-80356d1326034871

Here's a side profile:

large-scale-millennium-falcon-kit-ids-turret_height-2.jpg-80357d1326036793

Last edited:

Martyn, Here's my turret measures mate, I'm going with these & my gun barrels set will based on these measures. I'm confident they are ok, especially since the hanomag parts are ID & fit ok too.

Turret height: 22.5mm
Turret base: 11.5" (292.1mm)
Turret top: 11" (279.4mm)

These turret measures are virtually identical to yours mate, so I think it's a done deal?.:cool
I feel the top plate is 2mm styrene & the actual plating would be 1.5mm styrene.

What I'm doing at the mo is, Im drawing up the whole top plan view of the Falcon in 1/1 on a piece of board & tweaking it with all the kit parts & measures I have on hand. This will act as my blueprint & all other views will come of this. I will share this quite happliy to all, but please don't ask me for a copy, bit hard to put through the scanner.:lol
This is good for the engine deck especially, as it's sooo complicated to line everything up on a piece of thin card or paper & move around as needed.
Stu

Last edited:

Thanks Stu, good to know! Rod's dias were a bit smaller and for a while mine were too, but after trying my darndest to account for the distortion, I still get so close to 11" front to rear that I think it HAS to be what they were using. I think the plating thicknesses you gave are the best match we could obtain in our parts of the world - even if the originals were odd very-slightly-larger Imperial sizes that we can't get, it won't really show anyway!

Re plan views I couldn't agree more, I'm more or less doing the same albeit in 3D. Specifically, I have a 25"-radius styrene semicircle on which I'm building an engine deck contour mockup in urethane foam, so that I can space the parts as accurately as possible. Easy to modify and once tweaked can potentially serve as a forming buck.

Hey Martyn,

In case you're thinking I've baled on you, I've 17 maps ready to post, but I've just started one more for the front Stb mandible which I want to include. I'll aim to get 'em all up during this week all being well.

Cheers
Nick

Schweet, mate! I'll move my copies of all the old maps to an archive folder and pop these in the active one. That will be a hugely useful resource. Don't stress, though! Your house should come first.

Ok, I've posted up a about 18 maps, some old some new. Hopefully they reflect alot of the fantastic ID'ing work which has gone on here over the past few months.

I may have to get back to DIY-land again for a while but will aim to get updates done on the rest of the maintenance pits soon. As I don't currently have access to any of my kit archive its a bit hard for me to cross check stuff, so any mistakes just let me know.

I've started to stitch ( roughly) together some pics to great a clearer sense of an area, like with MF026 and the Stb mandible. Will try and do this elsewhere if I can get the right pics. Will also reduced the overall number of maps.

Thanks to Craig for his docking ring maps. I added numbers just to make the ID's on these bomb proof for people.

Cheers
Nick

Awesome, many thanks Nick, maps look great. Sure will be easier with the reduced number of them to cross reference. There's a few parts there to be added & a few mistakes, but all good, I'll LYK later.
Many thanks too, to Craig for those gorgeous Docking Ring maps.
Stu

Another 'fluke' find while looking at the updated engine deck parts map MF003 1.2. Underneath the M23 wheel rim is a part labeled #1 as being F1, but is actually from the Tamiya 1/25th Centurion (sprue-A, part #7), heavily cut down & used on both sides of the deck. I was sure I had seen something similar, somewhere in my kit stash that could be it & stumbled across it by chance.
Thanks Nick, your parts map updates did the trick:).
Stu

Good work, Nick. The mandible maps are a great addition! There are some more Ferrari parts along those, too. I'll send you a PM shortly with a few corrections/additions.

Craig

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back