Lady Archer Short Dress Scratch Build

kristen jones

Master Member
Hey all....

With Renn Faire season once again upon me, I've wanted somethign new to bring to the table.

Two years ago I had created a wonderful reporoduction of Susan Pevensie's Green Wool Archery dress from the Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. But since that dress is floor length and long sleeved, it's very hard to wear in the summer months.

So I decided to create myself a version of it that would be cut above the knee (to pair with leather hunting boots or knee high moccasins) and to have no sleeves. I also wanted to add a very generous hood, along the lines of what we see on Aragorn's Ranger outfit in the LOTR movies.

In a vast departure from my usual routine, I had absolutely NO pattern, plan or design to start with. All I had was two lovely Forest Green wool Army Blankets and a passion to create.

So I pulled out Elisabeth (my trusty sewing mannequin... or more correctly WOMANquin) and threw one of the blankets upon her and started cutting.

I have NEVER worked this way before! But I must say that it was so very liberating to just start cutting and watch how the fabric laid on the mannequin as I worked. i came up with the design and subsequent details on-the-fly as I went! I started by cutting a neck hole, and quickly measured out a front princess seam, and the rest is history.

Without further ado, let's have a few pictures of the finished dress:

v4qonot.jpg

This front view reveals the princess seaming, as well as the "leaf" detail on the bust and the leather piping on the seams and edge of the hood. Also shown are the belt with pouch and dagger with carved wooden handle and scabbard. One can also see the pair of brass buttons which adorn the waist, connected by a leather "chain" ornament affixed to the dress.

4hgubF0.jpg

The 3/4 shot shows the side seaming, reveals the unique armhole construction, and shows a bit of the shape of the very generous jedi-like hood, as well as affording a closer look at the dagger.

TlQa12m.jpg

And finally the back detail showcases the corset back closure, more leather piping framing the corset back and also adorning the shoulder "tabbard" construction and also shows off the back of the hood. You can also see that there is a matching pair of brass buttons adorning the rear flanks, as in the front view.

l0uWnJp.jpg

Next I've got to fashion a leather quiver for my arrows, as well as create a wrist bracer for my left arm. Once I've done this, and paired the outfit up with an appropriate pair of tal hunting boots, I'll update with some shots of me wearing the outfit.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Very nice! And it looks like it would be quite practical for pulling a bow, the arm-holes would give a nice freedom of movement. Just be sure to not have the front lacings dangling down... I've seen what can happen when things like that snag on a bowstring :eek

I may end up removing the front lacing. It's purely decorative, and I'm not entirely certain that i like it.

When I was making the armholes I did in fact consider that i'd need great range of motion. That's what led me to use a shoulder tabbard design... it makes for unrestricted movement in the shoulder area. :)

Here's a few pics of the outfit with the quiver that I've whipped up. It's attached to a shoulder strap, which in turn fastens to the belt via belt keepers.... much like a Sam Browne Belt.:

l0uWnJp.jpg

h95fYSo.jpg

p2ga5Q7.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome work, looks fantastic! You're a talented seamstress! I love the Mockingjay pen too, nice touch!

Awww! Thanks, Bexly449 <3<3

If you need any help with the construction of it, hit me up. I made patterns from the pieces that i cut before I assembled it. :)

Thanks again, everybody! It is by far the biggest reward of all to have so much appreciation shown me over something that i brewed up in my own mind as opposed to the replicas I've done in the past. I might have to do more original builds just so I can keep this feeling going :)

K.

I usually pull out the pirate garb for faire, but I may have to reconfigure as an archer after seeing this! Fantastic work!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back