Holiday Special/Vol. 3 Groot Build

BobbyFromBUF

Greetings RPF!

I'm back with my 3rd Groot build. This time it's from the Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special and Volume 3. So, #SwoleGroot , #JackedGroot , or sometimes referred to as #AlphaGroot .

Please follow along with my build!

By the way, I'm @Intergalactic_Cosplay on Instagram and BobbyFromBUF on YouTube.

Thanks, and I hope my build helps others!

FB_IMG_1694593639641.jpg

Photo shared by Dragon Con's official FB page. Photo Credit: unknown

As I did with my original Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 1 build, I started off with DIY wooden stilts. This time, I used rubber rain boots instead of work boots.

IMG_20230627_180906.jpg

Okay, quick pause in my tutorial for a short narrative...

About me:
-I'm 44 years old.
-I'm a flight attendant.
-I'm 5'8 187lbs.

I would say that I have above average balance, and I've been walking on DIY stilts for over 6 years. I'm a former Roller Derby referee and coach. I play ice hockey. I can snow ski, water ski, and snowboard.

About my cosplay:
-The costume weighs 44lbs total when stored inside it's bag.
-It's bag is a CCM hockey goalie bag. I was able to check it on Delta for no additional fee when I traveled to Dragon Con.
-My stilts add 12" to my height. The mask adds an additional 2-3". Bringing the total height of the cosplay to approximately 6'10".
-The costume is constructed from:
• tan overalls
•a brown turtleneck
•2"×3" pine boards
•approximately (20) 1" buckles
•(6) 2" buckles
•about 15 yards of tan and brown 1" nylon webbing.
•approximately 1 yard of tan 2" nylon webbing.
•approximately 5 yards of brown polar fleece.

Okay, quick pause in my tutorial for a short narrative...

About me:
-I'm 44 years old.
-I'm a flight attendant.
-I'm 5'8 187lbs.

I would say that I have above average balance, and I've been walking on DIY stilts for over 6 years. I'm a former Roller Derby referee and coach. I play ice hockey. I can snow ski, water ski, and snowboard.

About my cosplay:
-The costume weighs 44lbs total when stored inside it's bag.
-It's bag is a CCM hockey goalie bag. I was able to check it on Delta for no additional fee when I traveled to Dragon Con.
-My stilts add 12" to my height. The mask adds an additional 2-3". Bringing the total height of the cosplay to approximately 6'10".
-The costume is constructed from:
• tan overalls
•a brown turtleneck
•2"×3" pine boards
•approximately (20) 1" buckles
•(6) 2" buckles
•about 15 yards of tan and brown 1" nylon webbing.
•approximately 1 yard of tan 2" nylon webbing.
•approximately 5 yards of brown polar fleece.
Oh, and lots of EVA foam mats from Harbor Freight Tools. Probably 3 of the 8' rolls and about 2 packages of the puzzle piece style mats. I'm not exactly sure as I used scraps from previous projects.

The entire build took me approximately 90 hours total.

I used my previous Groot mask from my Teen Groot costume to make a template for my mask. I. This photo you can really see that it started off much too big. Too tall and too round of a jawline....
IMG_20230705_140721.jpg

Here's a look at the template. I tried to center the mask against the workshop mat to give a reference in inches.

IMG_20230627_002926.jpg

IMG_20230627_003137.jpg

I'll get back to the tutorial shortly, but I'm starting to see some Dragon Con 2023 cosplay videos pop up, and I wanted to share...

See my Groot cosplay at the 00:32 mark:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back