Kylo Ren Black Series Helmet Mod

Yeah I agree I was wondering if I should to make more room for padding thanks for your reply

I just picked one of these up today since I saw it available at Target. Luckily the wife obliged. While I'm not impressed with the voice changer, it's still kinda fun and I'm going to try to leave the electronics in if I can. Even pulling the electronics out of the black "encasement" and moving the battery pack somewhere else would help, then you could keep the voice mod.

Reading through this whole thread it really seems like no one has found a voice changer that actually works the way they want it to. For now mine will stay and I'll pad / modify around it. I did find these mods helped:

- removing the "voice catching disk"
- turning the mic around to face me
- adding a small piece of fabric between speaker and helmet to catch reverb
- padding so that the mic isn't so close to mouth - maybe 2" away (if you can)

It's not perfect as I can still hear my voice through it, but not entirely terrible either. Will keep working on it all.

I just picked one of these up today since I saw it available at Target. Luckily the wife obliged. While I'm not impressed with the voice changer, it's still kinda fun and I'm going to try to leave the electronics in if I can. Even pulling the electronics out of the black "encasement" and moving the battery pack somewhere else would help, then you could keep the voice mod.

Reading through this whole thread it really seems like no one has found a voice changer that actually works the way they want it to. For now mine will stay and I'll pad / modify around it. I did find these mods helped:

- removing the "voice catching disk"
- turning the mic around to face me
- adding a small piece of fabric between speaker and helmet to catch reverb
- padding so that the mic isn't so close to mouth - maybe 2" away (if you can)

It's not perfect as I can still hear my voice through it, but not entirely terrible either. Will keep working on it all.

I'm pretty happy with the voice changer setup I have. Still needs a bit of work but sounds good for the cost of the components.

I'm using a velleman mk171 kit with a $20 throat mic I found on Amazon.

If you're interested you can see some pics of the mk171 and how it sits in my helmet in my build thread - http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=254928

There's also a video on there of how it sounds.

I'm pretty happy with the voice changer setup I have. Still needs a bit of work but sounds good for the cost of the components.

I'm using a velleman mk171 kit with a $20 throat mic I found on Amazon.

If you're interested you can see some pics of the mk171 and how it sits in my helmet in my build thread - http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=254928

There's also a video on there of how it sounds.

I saw your post earlier and am just not sure about the throat mic. I also have no experience/ability with soldering so not sure how that'd go.

Here's how mine sounds right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

How well does the mic pick up your voice if talking softly compared to normal talking volume? I am guessing it would be much the same as being further away from the mic...
If it still registers, perhaps that would solve some of the speaker blow out?

I saw your post earlier and am just not sure about the throat mic. I also have no experience/ability with soldering so not sure how that'd go.

https://youtu.be/9n8qdwoAOV8

I think the voice changer itself sounds alright there. A throat mic would make a big difference to how much of your voice you can hear from outside the helmet. You can talk real quiet and it'll still pick it up. The downsides I've noticed so far (at least with a cheap one like I got) is that since it picks up vibrations, it picks up the occasional movement and also swallowing. Quality is pretty reasonable though, I'd say.

If you're interested I'll see if I can't record some samples of the mic straight via the computer to give you an idea of sound quality.

As for soldering, I can't say that the kit I had would be easy for beginners but I hadn't soldered in about 5-6 years when I picked it up and I didn't struggle with it. I actually bought 2 in case I botched the first as they were only $10 each. I still have my second one unassembled so I could always put it together for someone on here who wants it ready-made.

I see people talking about the BS helmet being ABS, but no solvents I have tried have worked on mine, Weldon 16, Weldon 2007, ABS cement for plumbing, and Acetone. It looks feels and seems to be impervious to everything the same way polypropylene is. How did you guys determine that it was ABS?

No one happens to know exactly what kind of plastic this helmet is do they? I've never seen it in person and the videos I've seen where they show off the inside it looks kinda thin and cheap. Thanks.

I assumed it was ABS when I first modded mine but now I'm sure its not, but I got no idea what it is. It does remind me of PP, how nothing will just stick to it except itself.

I assumed it was ABS when I first modded mine but now I'm sure its not, but I got no idea what it is. It does remind me of PP, how nothing will just stick to it except itself.

Yeah I noticed how the painters tape I tried using to seal off the seams didn't stick very well. Had to use clear gift tape to seal down where it was peeling XD. I was thinking of doing a slush cast on the inside with Rondo, will I need to rough up the inside with like 80 grit for it to stick on?

So I got my Kyo Ren BS helmet today...and I´m really a little bit disappointed.
First...it is so flimsy that I was thinking that the package is empty.
Second the details are really soft at some areas.
But the biggest shock is the chrome..scratches over scratches.Is this normal?

24578647fn.jpg

24578657ad.jpg

24578671mg.jpg

Mine had some blemishes where the chrome didn't seem to take to the black, but that's instant weathering. As far as your scratches on the side.....yeah that's not supposed to be like that. Looks like someone played with it a bit before it was shipped to you.

Perfect job man! I was thinking about buying this and doing some mods to it a lot like yours.

I love how you re-positioned the vent shaped parts where the helmet curves out. It always bothered me that they were flat with the curve, cause it made the helmet look poorly molded and not screen accurate, so when I saw how you actually re positioned them, I thought it looked the damn coolest.

Also, Did you have to cut the mouth piece out and put some bondo under it to give it that layered effect? or did you use the Disney store mouth peice instead? And do you think I could use a rock guard, or bed liner for vehicles to get that texture?

just curious cause I will probably buy one and do the same mods.

Great job man.

Perfect job man! I was thinking about buying this and doing some mods to it a lot like yours.

I love how you re-positioned the vent shaped parts where the helmet curves out. It always bothered me that they were flat with the curve, cause it made the helmet look poorly molded and not screen accurate, so when I saw how you actually re positioned them, I thought it looked the damn coolest.

Also, Did you have to cut the mouth piece out and put some bondo under it to give it that layered effect? or did you use the Disney store mouth peice instead? And do you think I could use a rock guard, or bed liner for vehicles to get that texture?

Great job man.

Great job man.

Thanks man I appreciate it, I also thought it looked weird with the vent parts all being one piece so I changed it.

I used the mouth piece that cam with the black series I just modded the heck out of it. The layered effect was all done with welding. I don't know what the texture of bed liner is but if its fine enough it should work. When the stone effect is too prominent it kinda makes it too rough and matte looking, the movie helmet has a finer texture to it and a more satin/ semi gloss finish.

Awesome mods on this thread. I just picked up a BS and overall pretty pleased with it. The two halves don't fit together that well so will have to do something there. But I'm thinking just a decent paintjob will make a huge difference. Does anyone have any tips on the painting? Checking out Adam Savage's reference photos on his Prop Shop version it looks a bit like a matt black (or even dark gray?) base with gloss black spots, speckles and patches - am I reading that right? Any tips would be most helpful.
http://www.tested.com/art/movies/574008-photo-gallery-kylo-ren-helmet-reference-photos/
Cheers,
Rob

image.jpeg

Okay all, you've convinced me to start on this modification. here is the helmet fresh out of the box.

More posts to come as the mods are made. Thank you to all that have done this build and passed on the info. It's much appreciated :thumbsup

Thanks man, this was a fun mod I'd like to to see your helmet when you finish it.

Real plastic welding needs a heating element that blows hot air that has precise temperature and can hold that temperature since different plastics melt at different temperatures. That's for welding plastics that need to be structural. So I just used an old soldering iron.

I basically touch the plastic with it between the seam I want to close and move it forward and backward to slightly mix the softened plastic. The seam will lightly be held together after the first pass, make sure not to go through the plastic in this step. Aim to melt about halfway through the plastic. Then get some extra scrap abs, I used pieces I cut off from the helmet itself, and use it to fill out the seam. I just go over the seam with the material and melt it into the seam until it's smooth. Try not to add too much material so as to not make a bump where the seam is on the outside.

The seam will be together after the second pass but still might be prone to breaking off if left in that state. So I go over the back and do the same steps except I add way more material aiming for there to be a bump where the seam is to reinforce it. Let it cool and sand away.

Hope that helps.

This explanation helped a lot! I put together a video here: https://www.facebook.com/ADAMantiumInc/videos/1972715009622721/ based on your description if anyone is looking for a visual on this method. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back