Kylo Ren Black Series Helmet Mod

I'm technically new but have been following your convos for weeks. Was just gonna repaint my bs but the mic kept turning in by itself and kept sounding worse even tho I added foam and all the other stuff(evo foam/soft outter/) I do custom action figures and have aves epoxy scultp out on table now. It works great on 6 in figurs, made a cyclops visor out of it and no cracks. So I'm thinking I'm going to fill the crack with the epoxy sculpt, its strong but I am worries about plastic flex fn it up. Also instead of cutting the snout I'm just gonna sculpt the second. This will make the ridges look layered. And I know anovos snout looks textured but I e seen the movie like 5-6 times and every pic out there, seems the helmet has a smooth finish at least on the snout, or at least smoother than they made it

The BS helmet has way too much texture. At least, the texture is too large scale.

-The Truth is Out There-

Well the two halves are definitely joined very well and the rigidness if the helmet feels alot better but still have to sand it down. Loaded up the inside with it even thou will prob glass over it

It's more like a sanded semi smooth stone texture to me, but we won't really know until the bluray comes out and we all go hunting for screenshots.

I am going to pad the entire thing. Already cut most of the out croppings off. Going to glass the inside to make it more rigid. Going to redo the flares and jaw pieces first.

This helmet is so much smaller than most. Rather than foam, I'm starting to wonder if a fabric lining would fit best (and look more professional) as a lining.

I was thinking the same thing as I am in the 23.5- 24" head range the padding might make it a little snug or ride up. But had GeneralFrosty install some really thin foam when he modded mine and it fits really well.

This helmet is so much smaller than most. Rather than foam, I'm starting to wonder if a fabric lining would fit best (and look more professional) as a lining.

I was thinking the same thing as I am in the 23.5- 24" head range the padding might make it a little snug or ride up. But had GeneralFrosty install some really thin foam when he modded mine and it fits really well.

My head is about the same size, so that's very helpful to know. Thank you!

Dude!!!! THAT IS BLOODY MAGNIFICANT! Currently planning how I'm going to do mine and this is everything I need. Of course I'll give you some credit when done Sir :)

Just FYI make sure you test out how much friction the foam you use has on your head too. Because these things are so light if it doesn't have good purchase you might say good by in a stiff wind or if you bend over to pick something up. Thought I might warn you before you have the same experience I did with another project (RIP).

Just FYI make sure you test out how much friction the foam you use has on your head too. Because these things are so light if it doesn't have good purchase you might say good by in a stiff wind or if you bend over to pick something up. Thought I might warn you before you have the same experience I did with another project (RIP).

I hadn't even thought of that. Very good point. I'd hate to lose a helmet over something so trivial. Hopefully your lost project wasn't too expensive!

Has anyone investigated or thought about vacuum metalizing the helmet before painting/weathering? I just contacted a local company here that can do it in either high carbon steel (maybe closer to the look of the film), low carbon steel, aluminum, or chrome. Ill post when i hear back. Might be a decent way of getting the metal look and weathering right?

Last edited:
So heard back from a local company and the quote was $120 for aluminum metalizing. I'm going to finish up the welds and sand it down and hopefully in the next week or so, have it metalized, paint it, and weather. Overall, 120+89+paint<Anovos. Plus I have it in my hand. I'll post pics during the stages.

I found that out while experimenting with my helmet and how it fits actually! Bent forwards and nearly landed on the floor.

I managed to get a real nice fit with varying thickness of foam in certain places. I added a sweeping curved piece about 1" thick on the back of the helmet just above the flare. It 'grips' the back of my head nicely and secures it well.

Overall it feels a lot like a motorcycle helmet once I got all the padding in.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back