Kick Ass costume?

The mask reminds me of a balaclava. Maybe one could be modified.

hind.jpg

No doubt as we get closer to the release of the movie - and likely in time for this year's Halloween - there will be at least one or two sources to obtain a replica of this costume...not to mention the always terrible quality licensed version.

Considering how complicated and costly it is to produce replicas of many other movie characters, these should be a childs play for pretty much every experienced costume maker here on the RPF.

i see someone on ebay in canada is making the mask, although it looks like the yellow details are electricians tape :D

ebay username "kickassreplicas"

for us in the uk the film's already been released too :p

Well and went and saw the film today for The Kick-Ass costume and this is what I found out.

1. Two part wet suit with yellow trimming. The zip runs down the back from the neck to almost the butt. The baraclava piece is seperate(kinda a duh moment ;)).
2.The shoes are classic beige Timberlands (usually around the $120 mark) dyed yellow very badly and heavily weathered even at the start of the film.
3. The yellow trimming is pretty much embroided on.
4. The batons are most likley wooded and are wrapped in black leather from the top down and then made into a handle at the bottom which keeps them in the "back rack".
5. The "back rack" consists of a metal plate with two black leather cylinders to hold two batons. There are two screws at the top of the metal plate and two at the bottom which probably means it is screwed to another identicle plate beneath the wetsuit. The inner plate is probabaly held in place with a harness, this all means that the weight of the rack and batons is held up by his shoulders as opposed to the wetsuit and there is no risk of tearing it. The fact that it goes over his zip also means he could never put this on himself in a million years :lol !!!!
6. The gloves arnt marigolds like i thought they would be but traditional superhero style gloves made from prehaps leather, pleather or a vinyl.

Are we sure that it is indeed a wet-suit type material? In a lot of the stills the suit looks far more cloth-like - like a stormtrooper/motorcycling undersuit.

That said, this fairly high-def pic does seem to look slightly more rubberised with the sheen and folding on the shoulder:

kickass-first-official-full-02.jpg

OK, having actually now watched the movie it's pretty clear that the costume IS some sort of neoprene or wetsuit (though there IS a lycra replica version for sale on a mannequin in the comic shop in the movie).

Oh, and this movie is freakin' awesome! :thumbsup

I haven't seen the movie (but I'm really looking forward to it), but I'd like to jump in here with a couple of comments about the so-called wetsuit. If you've never worn a wetsuit before, take it from me: they're HOT. (Because, see, the idea is to keep cold water out and your body heat in.) So while they may say in the movie that the costume is made from a wetsuit, I highly doubt that it is. Particularly because having an actor in a wetsuit on dry land is a recipe for overheating. FWIW.

Also, where does one find green neoprene? :)

I haven't seen the movie (but I'm really looking forward to it), but I'd like to jump in here with a couple of comments about the so-called wetsuit. If you've never worn a wetsuit before, take it from me: they're HOT. (Because, see, the idea is to keep cold water out and your body heat in.) So while they may say in the movie that the costume is made from a wetsuit, I highly doubt that it is. Particularly because having an actor in a wetsuit on dry land is a recipe for overheating. FWIW.

Also, where does one find green neoprene? :)

Got to agree here. I do believe that there is a neoprene suit in some shots, take a look at the pic earlier in the thread of Aaron putting the mask on and how much it supports itself. In some close shots it even looks like it's maybe a .2mm neoprene but i think for the majority it is a heavy stretch fabric. I enhanced an image earlier posted here to show off the texture, personally I've never seen a wet suit like that.
Maybe repeated viewings will change my mind, I was a bit to entranced by the film itself to concentrate on the suit that much.

Looks like a brushed cotton-lycra to me.
Neoprene would be an absolute nightmare to wear in an action based movie like this. D:

Looks like 2mm neoprene to me as well. The mouth in particular is a kind of tell. There looks to be no stitching around it at all. With cotton-lycra it would
have to be stitched or it would roll under. The yellow sections also look to be neoprene. 2mm Neoprene is actually quite comfortable. There is a reason it is used for Surf and scuba suits.

Shot of the stunt guy in the suit (click for larger)

On first impressions does look like neoprene. To my eye the yellow trim looks like a velvet bias.
The clubs look to be wrapped in a dark green grip tape.

The vertical stitching on the mask between the nose and the mouth definitely looks of the type that is found on wetsuits....

Hmmm, really does appear that it could be either material at the moment (or both).

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back