Jurassic Park Velociraptor Build Thread; Target Date --> Halloween 2013

DR4296

Greetings All !

OK, I figured it's finally time to start my "build thread" for my 2013 Halloween Costume.

The decision to go with a Velociraptor was something I actually made back in about mid-January. I was inspired by this video from Australia:

Velociraptor in Melbourne - YouTube

Key reasons for going with this idea:

1) I want to win FIRST place in the local big-dance-bar's Halloween Costume Contest this year. (I've placed SECOND place for the last two years in a row.) I think this costume has a good shot at doing that.

2) In my experience, if you want your costume to be popular with both kids AND adults, it has to be immediately recognizable (and a subject that is loved) by both groups. Any dinosaur, I think, would fit that requirement. And in addition to the bar-contest, I want to attend two different Halloween events that are more kid-centered.

3) I get to involve my wife again (as the Jurassic Park Ranger who will have me on a leash). I did this last year for the first time. I was Davey Jones from Pirates of the Carribean. My wife made a terrific Jack Sparrow (she even got hit-on by both men AND women on Halloween night!)

12.jpg

jessicas_1.jpg

OK, so to prep, I've watched the excellent videos over at stanwinstonschool.com, specifically the ones about building a T-Rex head, since the methods there seemed similar to what I want to do.

I started by purchasing a big block of foam. The Stan Winston School videos said I should get "12-TF upholstery foam". So I phoned what appeared to be a large local upholstery foam supplier, Mattress Warehouse (Mattress Warehouse - Mattress and Foam Warehouse ). The guy in their ordering department told me, although he'd been in the business for 30 years, he'd never heard of that term. So I had to describe to him what I wanted to do with the foam...and hope and pray that he understood. Two weeks and $80 later, I had this large chunk delivered to my door:

hunk_o_foam.jpg

I also ordered contact cement and contact cement remover online. Once I had this stuff, though, I kind of stopped working on this project for several weeks. The coming of "yard work season" took me away for a while.

But now that we're back to "90-plus-degrees-with-humidity" here in Kansas City, I abort all but the most basic yard work. It's costume time!

So, I started work the other day by taking a key reference photo and enlarging it. (Here's the photo:
raptor_ref_1.jpg
)

I had THOUGHT about simply going to FedEx's Copy Center and asking them to blow it up. However, a quick check online told me that'd be a $25 minimum. And so, I called upon my ancient knowledge gleaned from 7th grade art class: I scaled the photo up by dividing it into a 1-inch grid... then drawing a 3-inch grid on larger paper... and sketching the outline of the Raptor head, square-by-square.

Here's the end product (cut out) for that previous photo. Note that for every photo of that exact same dinosaur, the model's mouth was always opened. So, on my final cut-out, I cut and adjusted the paper so as to close the mouth:

raptor_head_paper_model_1.jpg

But while I was printing additional copies of that reference photo, I came across ANOTHER set of reference photos... this time some of a model Raptor head. I liked these a lot:

raptor_ref_2a.jpg

raptor_ref_2b.jpg

And so, I re-did my work. I drew grids again, enlarged, then cut out. Here's photos of what I ended up with. Note that I layed them against my hunk of foam (most of which has now turned yellow) for reference:

raptor_head_paper_model_2a.jpg

raptor_head_paper_model_2b.jpg

My wife wanted to stop by JoAnn's Fabrics for something while we were out today, so I went in too. She was all excited about my costume plans, so she encouraged me to hunt for stuff for the "spiked collar" that we'd like my Raptor to wear. I picked up a large strip of black marine vinyl (that will hopefully have a leather-like appearance). We also found some unusual bracelets that were made up of pairs of spikes. The spikes look like (and sound kind of like) metal, but they're plastic. My wife had given me a $25 gift card to JoAnn's for Valentine's Day, saying she knew I'd use that for costuming supplies at some point. So I used that to buy this stuff:

collar_supplies_1.jpg

collar_supplies_2.jpg

Now, I did actually get around to start carving the foam with an electric knife on Friday, but I haven't gotten very far yet. I'm proceeding very slowly and carefully. I don't have any photos yet to post on that... and I'm back to work tomorrow, working 12 hour shifts, so it may be a few days before I get more work done and photos posted.

Tomorrow, I should have a few supplies arrive in the mail: An Arduino Uno board, a Wave Shield kit, plus a few extra related items. My hope is to build a sound effects player and incorporate it into the costume. I'm hoping I can build something that will actually put out a bit of VOLUME, as that's always been a challenge with whatever sound solution I used in the past (and I've tried a couple of methods).

Gotta run.

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

Last edited:
re: Jurassic Park Velociraptor Build Thread; Target Date --> Halloween 2013

I've been waiting for someone on here to do something like this! Can't wait to see more progress and/or the final product!

Subscribed and watching with interest!

Sorry for the delay in updating this thread. Progress has been going slower than I'd like, thanks to other responsibilities getting in the way. But here is what I've accomplished lately:

1) Sound Effects Hardware Work -- I purchased an Arduino micro-controller and a Wave Shield kit for it from Adafruit.com. Along with that, I bought a 9 Volt battery adapter for the kit. I had to do a lot of soldering to assemble the Wave Shield, something I didn't have very much experience in before. However, I've gotten this up-and-running to the point where I have four sound effect files stored on a microSD card...and when I insert the card and start up the Arduino, it successfully reads the files and cycles through, playing them.

001.jpg

My next "To-Do's" related to this are:

a) Wire up a speaker and test the true max volume of this thing.
b) Decide if I need more volume. I've read something about using a transistor to do that. Needs a bit more research.
c) Rig up at least 4 buttons.
d) Find or write a program that will, when I press one of those buttons, randomly play a file from one of 4 specific folders on the SD card.
e) Locate, convert, and sort various Velociraptor sound effects and put them into four folders on the SD card. (I've already started some work on this.) I'm not entirely sure on the folder sorting yet, but something like "Roars", "Chirps", "Growls", and then maybe that "Whoop-Whoop" sound that the raptors in Jurassic Park made to alert their comrades.
f) Rig up some sort of enclosure for the Arduino and Wave Shield.

2) Foam Head Work -- I'm disappointed that I haven't gotten more time in on this, but here are some photos of where I'm at:

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

I did most of this work with an electric knife (you know the kind you use to carve turkey with). I had purchased an electric knife just for this hobby, so as to avoid wife-aggro. <grin!> Note that I did try two "quieter" tools: a serated-edged bread knife (also brand-new) and a carpet knife (basically a very long razor blade). The bread knife seemed to cut an incredibly-ragged surface. With a lot of practice, I might have gotten better at that. But it was gouging up the foam so badly, I quit using it in a hurry. The carpet knife was better, but I found that when starting my cuts, I had to grasp the foam directly ahead of the razor with my finger and pull it tight for the duration of my cut. The problem with this method is, if you pull too much, you end up cutting deeper than you intended, forming a sort of scoop-shaped gouge. Fortunately, when I started using this tool, I started at a spot on the underside of the jaw, where if I made mistakes it would probably be less noticable. But I got better as time went on. Still, I much prefer the electric knife.

One of the obstacles I face when carving this is... I have a set of excellent photos for the side-view and front-view of the head, but I really wish I had a top-view. I'm going to have to rely on my 6" model / toy raptor for reference on that. And that raptor isn't the exact model that I'm using from the good photos that I have. But, oh well, so I learn and make some educated guesses.

Obviously, I have a lot more carving work to do on this head. But I won't be able to touch it until next Wednesday at the earliest, due to my day-job.

Future Work and Concerns

Regarding the main body of the raptor:
Months ago, based on the photos I found online from Stan Winston's original foam raptor test models, I thought perhaps that, for the body, they just took a sheet of foam and more-or-less formed it into a tube shape. However, in revisiting this, I suspect they may have either carved it out of a solid hunk of foam... or they may have used a cast-mold system. (Not sure, and I'm talking about the rough-draft / first version of the raptor here, not the one that was used in final production.)

So, I'm now thinking I may have to do what I've seen in a few other raptor costumes online: build some sort of skeletal framework to lay the foam over. I can't say I'm looking forward to that. I'm not sure what materials to use for that. PVC, maybe? I guess I'm concerned about how complex that work might end up being, how much time it might take up, and how reliable the final skeleton will actually be. But, of course, buying a big hunk of foam that goes from my ass up over my head, something that would fit me inside it, would be at least $130 (based on the prices of my head-piece). And I guess my concern there would be: would the final product be flexible enough (I guess as long as the end product was maybe 1-1.5 inches thick all the way around, it would.)

Feet and legs:
I actually hope to start these next. Need to order the foam.

Skin:
Here's where I've been a bit annoyed lately. There's a set of videos on stanwinstonschool.com that I've been relying on for this project. They are part 1 and part 2 of the foam raptor T-Rex Head build. I've been anxiously awaiting part 3 of that series (the final part -- on making the skin and doing the exterior paint job) for MONTHS. I've been asking them when they're going to publish that or even IF they're going to publish that. And all they give me is a sort-of canned "we can't predict what's coming down the pipe" response. So, I may have to locate this information elsewhere. (My wife's thinking I'm going to need a TON of liquid latex and is worried about the costs involved.)

That's all for now. Gotta run!

Any ideas or advice or questions are extremely welcome! The more I talk with people about this stuff, the more problems I end up figuring out.

Take care!

-= Dave =-

Here's where I've been a bit annoyed lately. There's a set of videos on stanwinstonschool.com that I've been relying on for this project. They are part 1 and part 2 of the foam raptor T-Rex Head build. I've been anxiously awaiting part 3 of that series (the final part -- on making the skin and doing the exterior paint job) for MONTHS...... (My wife's thinking I'm going to need a TON of liquid latex and is worried about the costs involved.)

I Know Right!! I keep waiting for that video as well so i can work on a future project I'm planing. Im wondering if the method that Ted used in it is going to not be as pricey as it first seems by watering down the latex or cutting it with some other liquid so its not obscene amounts of latex. or at lest I hope. they have to have the filming done as we see clips of it at the end of the 2nd vid. Oh well.

one of the videos in their bolg page for May 11th showed these guys who made a dino costume/puppet and they talked about using some kind of silicone covered spandex for the skin. If someone figures out how to do that it would be awesome.

Good luck on your build. Planning to build a baby T-rex or a similar raptor. This will help a lot. Will be waiting to see more!

Nice work on the audio. I had also planned to include sound effects in my build but don't know where to start. Would you suggest basic hardware and software and where I can get it (hope it's available internationally as I am from the Philippines).

I was also studying the Stan Winston School clip and I had thought of a way to make a neck mechanism with universal joints on both ends (one attaching to the torso and the other to the neck part) to enable the head and neck to move forward like a chicken head bobbing and likewise side to side. Also have in mind a simple cable system for the jaw/mouth all controlled by hand. I'm not an engineer and not very good with line drawings like plans but I will try to make a small scale mock prototype to demonstrate the principle. What are your plans for the neck and head movement?

Looking forward to your progress. I made a budget dino a few years back and went the route of building a skeleton to wrap foam around. I found this to be helpful in wearing the suit as I built a harness into the skeleton that I was able to wear to hold up the frame. Someday I intend on going back and redoing the suit since I know a lot more about building now than I did back then.

Re: Velociraptor Build Thread; Target Date --&gt; Halloween 2013

Nice work on the audio. I had also planned to include sound effects in my build but don't know where to start. Would you suggest basic hardware and software and where I can get it (hope it's available internationally as I am from the Philippines).

I was also studying the Stan Winston School clip and I had thought of a way to make a neck mechanism with universal joints on both ends (one attaching to the torso and the other to the neck part) to enable the head and neck to move forward like a chicken head bobbing and likewise side to side. Also have in mind a simple cable system for the jaw/mouth all controlled by hand. I'm not an engineer and not very good with line drawings like plans but I will try to make a small scale mock prototype to demonstrate the principle. What are your plans for the neck and head movement?

I bought the Arduino board (an Arduino Uno R3) and Wav Sound kit both from Adafruit.com. Now I'm just waiting on them to get a particular little amplifier back in-stock again, as the volume did end up being way lower than I really want, when I tested it. As far as software goes, the actual software for the Arduino is called... Arduino! My download history suggests I got it from arduino.googlecode.com.

As far as moving the head and neck, I haven't really thought that fully through yet. I can tell you that I did find (and I'm not sure that I mentioned this in earlier posts) that for the Jurassic Park Raptor suits, the neck was actually made up of a foam cylinder cut into a SPIRAL pattern. By putting a bit of a gap into the spiral (by stretching it length-wise, a bit, this apparently allowed them to move the head quite a bit. However, they did have to reinforce the spiral with some sort of vertical rods. You can see this in the publicly-viewable video here: https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/blog/jurassic-park-evolution-of-a-raptor-suit (see the 1:48 minute mark)

So, I suppose I might try to do something similar to that.

Frankly, I feel incredibly behind right now. I need to order some L200 foam as soon as possible, but I'm waiting for some money to arrive.

If you look at the first mock-up of the raptor in that video, that's sort of what I'm hoping to achieve. Obviously, I want a painted skin on that. But if I can get something built out of foam that just plain LOOKS GOOD, I'll be happy. The sound will be a bonus.... and at this point, it seems likely that I'll get the sound worked out properly on-time. It's the foam cutting / carving /shaping that I need to really get working on.

With regards to the mouth opening and closing: I AM planning on doing that. The T-Rex head video tutorial over on stanwinstonschool.com goes into that. It basically involves building a hinge and using a cable or bungee cord to open and close it for you. However, I did see something in one of the other videos on there... I think it was "Garage Monsters 2".... where they take a rather small dinosaur head and put a working TONGUE into it... using a plastic paper bag and a string (or dental floss, I think). THAT looked pretty cool.

I have the next five days off so I really hope to get some time to carve further on the raptor head. And I did order some more supplies I'm anticipating needing for later steps. I just haven't ordered the L200 foam yet. I probably need to call them and discuss pricing. But the looks of the early part of that raptor suit video, it looks like maybe the foam they were using was one-inch thick (I'm not entirely sure, it might be one-and-a-half inches). So I guess I'll start with a big old sheet of that.

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

- - - Updated - - -

Looking forward to your progress. I made a budget dino a few years back and went the route of building a skeleton to wrap foam around. I found this to be helpful in wearing the suit as I built a harness into the skeleton that I was able to wear to hold up the frame. Someday I intend on going back and redoing the suit since I know a lot more about building now than I did back then.

Ah, I'd been wondering about whether or not I should go that route. There's a video on the stanwinstonshool site of some guy from South America (I vaguely recall) who built his own raptor suit recently... and it looks like he started with a PVC frame. But his raptor seems REALLY BIG to me. What did you build your skeleton out of ?

-= Dave =-

Since I was on a very limited budget when making my dino I had to get creative. I had a bunch of electrical conduit kicking around that I was given free - basically smaller diameter pvc style pipe - that I used for mine. It's very easy to shape with a heat gun and quite durable. Plus you can half/quarter it and use it in strips.

It's actually the same support structure used on my taun taun and sulley costumes as well.

Was able to finish the mini scale mock up of the proposed head mechanism. Very crude to look at as it is made with popsicle sticks, tacks, nylon string and old straws for tube but this is just to give everyone an idea of my proposed mechanism for the dino head. Basically the mechanism will be mounted on the body support of the costume. Just my basic idea. Comments and suggestions are welcome. This shows the head and head can turn right and left, up and down and open the mouth. The small details will be coming later when I start a thread for this (and my robocop costume build). This dinosaur costume is for our upcoming math and science month this September (theme is dinosaurs and robots -- hence the dino and robocop costume). Hoping to learn more from this thread for my proposed build. Thank you.

pinoy dino costume head mechanism - YouTube

Greetings All !

Well, I did manage to get some more carving done on the head a few days ago. I have no photos yet, and there's still more to be done on that.

But I thought I'd post about some things I've researched and some design issues I'm facing, with the hope that I'll be able to "think and discuss things through" with other folks here doing similar builds.

Earlier this week, I posted a thread over at the Cosplay.com forums regarding body frame construction. It seems to me that sometimes, when I post questions to the "Cosplay world" over there, I get remarkably different information back from those folks. They really seem to be in a "different fabrication world" compared to most of what we see and discuss here on the RPF forums.

After browsing some sites those folks suggested, I noticed a few things:

1) SOME Fursuit and Quadsuit foam character heads were built to attach to a bicycle helmet that the user then would wear on his/her head. (And then, the user apparently looks out of the neck in order to see.) That made me think of the person here who asked me how I was going to make my raptor head tilt and turn. See a couple of photos on this page:
neonrelics's deviantART gallery

2) Some of the heads built in that manner seem to allow the wearer to use some sort of chin strap to make the mouth open and close:
See about the 2:40 mark in this video -- Micah - The Raptor - Head and Jaw Mechanics - YouTube

3) I also randomly ran into this photo:
url]

And, I just so happened to find a slightly-used pool noodle at a thrift store this week for $3. So, I bought that. It's got a maybe half-inch-diameter hole running through the middle, so I'm thinking I may be able to run some thin PVC pipe through that for added strength, if I need it.

So those are some interesting options!

In other news, I've been using proportional measurements from both my paper raptor model and my toy figurine model to calculate how big various other costume body parts should be, assuming a head length of 30 centimeters. And then I'm trying to figure out how much / what sized blocks of foam I'll need in order to create the feet, hands, and arms.

One big decision I'll have to make soon is whether I want the raptor's arms to be MY arms inside some sort of covering or if I want them to be fake (with my real arms being inside the main body cavity. Now, I had originally thought my arms would be tucked inside. That would allow me to more-easily manipulate any head controls plus a series of 4 or 5 buttons to handle sound effects.

BUT I am worried that if I start to fall, I'll have no way of "catching myself". On the other hand, the raptors arms are going to be slightly thinner than my arms, plus they are somewhat FORWARD in their position on the body. So, there's a realism sacrifice there.

Still, I kind of liked what these guys did:

cosplay,costume,dinosaur,fanexpo,fursuit,raptor-1a1d9a7ec05060e9910e6e6c1f43ad06_h.jpg

micah___the_velawesome_raptor_by_guardiansandi-d48f1pg.jpg

I'm also debating just what kind and thickness of foam I want to use for most of the body "shell". In the T-Rex-Head fabrication video over at StanWinstonSchool.com, they use mostly L200 Foam for the final head. This is the same kind of foam that you find in those sectional floor mats you can buy at almost any hardware store. The other choice would be upholstery foam. I'm actually not sure which is more expensive.

And, though it would appear that the original raptor suits used... what is this?... 1 inch thick maybe?... foam:
sw_building_raptor_foam1.png

sw_building_raptor_foam2.png

I'm wondering, for the sake of heat, if I should get something thinner.

Also, I still have to figure out what sort of framing material to layer that foam over. I checked out the plastic mesh that Hobby Lobby and Joann's offer. If the stuff that was recommended to me here is the same stuff I was looking at there (in the yarn section), then I'll have to deal with a lot of small (maybe 15" long) sections of plastic, all of which would be about $2 each.

The folks at Cosplay.com's forums suggested I look up Quadsuits. But I haven't found much information on framing there. It seems like MOST Fursuits and Quadsuits have chests and hips that really aren't that much bigger than a humans... or they basically take a human form and build foam on top of it. I'm thinking that'd be a bit thick for a raptor's mid-section.

One other issue I was thinking through was: When I build the feet, it sure would be nice if the feet and the legs were one complete unit, like a pair of pants, perhaps held up with suspenders. So, I was trying to figure out how to accomplish that / what to build the feet and legs around. (Yes, I was thinking I'd attach foam chunks so as to build the illusion of the digitigrade legs...and then layer more sheet-like foam over areas that need to hug my body more closely.)

Waders came to mind first, but I'm sure those things DON'T BREATH, which would make the suit even MORE hot. Next, I thought about denim overalls. Not a bad idea, but they're a bit expensive. And you don't get any "built-in boots". Oh well. I think I may just take a pair of boot-cut (so they hug my legs more) jeans and attach some suspenders to them. Then start building on that.

I'd love to hear other folks' thoughts on all of this !!

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

A big question to ask yourself is what are you going to do with this costume? If this is just a once or twice Halloween suit or something you will also use alot for Cons, Halloweens, and other events. For just a couple of Halloweens you might want to go with the Fursuit style that you have pictured as it will be quicker and maybe a little easier to build. Also you can use a thicker foam to carve away for details. If you want to use this for lots of events where you will be inside it for 8 or more hours at a time i would use a thinner foam that you can layer for detail effects.

As far as the arms if you go with the more realism look with your arms in the body you could make Raptor puppet arms that you can move from inside.

This video has a neat frame structureHow to build a raptor costume - YouTube

Re: Velociraptor Build Thread; Target Date --&amp;gt; Halloween 2013

- For the arms you will have your wife correct? I don't know how hard of a time she'll have keeping you upright, but have you taken that into consideration?
- the upholstery foam looks kind of like it can breathe so maybe that will help with cooling, but there is thinner eva foam
- you could use chicken wire for your framing material
- for the legs you could build some digitigrade stilts and attach the legs directly to that...

that's what I was thinking... just spitballing really,

this video is pretty cool http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAAF9-ux8ms

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back