JURASSIC PARK Muldoon Hat & Watch

jrichman

Hi,

I am having the hat from JURASSIC PARK worn by Robert Muldoon made. Does anyone know what fabric it could have been made from? Or better yet, has there been a positive ID on the actual hat maker itself?

As for the watch worn by Muldoon, does anyone here on the forums own the watch (Aquatech Navigation Divers Watch) and be willing to sell it to me? If so, please message me and we can discuss amounts. I am open to pretty much anything. Thanks.

This one's pretty close on the hat. On-screen hat is just cotton, but no chin strap and an addition stitch line down the front.

Edit: although on second look he might just be wearing it backwards to get the stitch line.

Last edited:
This one's pretty close on the hat. On-screen hat is just cotton, but no chin strap and an addition stitch line down the front.

I know of this one, Im just going to have it made, thanks for the reply though. What kind of cotton? What weave?

Again, anyone with the Muldoon watch in good condition, willing to let it go to a good home, please message me. Would love to own it.

That hat is about 95% exact. It's a cotton canvas, same stitching on the brim. Movie hat may be waxed to stiffen it a bit.

The only differences I can see are:

- Movie hat uses spring snaps rather than ring snaps
- snap placement is slightly different
- seems to be worn backwards with the vertical stitch line in the front
- double stitching on the bottom of the hat band
- the loop on the hat band in the movie may have been removed
- no chin strap in the movie and no grommets for the chin strap to pass through

I actually just ordered one of these hats so I'll let you know if anything else jumps out at me when I get it.
jurassic-park-movie-screencaps.com-11645.jpg

jurassic-park-movie-screencaps.com-11681.jpg

Cotton canvas huh? hmm. Have to ask the person who is going to make it for me. It may be, but the photos seem to have a more smooth surface. And it moves and seems more soft than that.

It also isn't worn backwards. That's just how they created the panels. I believe they did that and that's how it creates the pinch in the crown.

If you look at the hat band, it also has a seam down it. In hatmaking, you need that one seam and it's always in the back. If you look at any other similar hat, the seam is always in the back. I don't think I've ever seen one with two seams or the seam in the front.

Now I'm not positive on that or the material but I'm pretty confident. Cotton/canvas can come in various weights so it may react differently depending on the weight. I've only seen that kind of stitching pattern around the brim on cotton hats. Never seen it on wool felt or fur felt hats.

If you look at the hat band, it also has a seam down it. In hatmaking, you need that one seam and it's always in the back. If you look at any other similar hat, the seam is always in the back. I don't think I've ever seen one with two seams or the seam in the front.

Now I'm not positive on that or the material but I'm pretty confident. Cotton/canvas can come in various weights so it may react differently depending on the weight. I've only seen that kind of stitching pattern around the brim on cotton hats. Never seen it on wool felt or fur felt hats.
Thanks for trying to anaylze this and help. But you are wrong. The pinch of the crown is at the front. And pinches on crowns are always at the front. So this hat is being worn correctly. And looking at the band, the seam runs behind it. If I’m understanding you correctly.

The pinch can be anywhere on any type of hat. It's easy to re-form the crown. As famously in the Indiana Jones Raiders hat where the crown was pinched slightly off-center. Though in this case on this style/material, I think the hat probably came without a pinch and the crown took that shape either by the wardrobe team doing it on purpose or by the actor getting to know it.

But regardless, the pinch is a pretty temporary thing on a cotton/canvas hat and will be adjusted slightly as the hat is handled.

On the band - it starts as just one long piece of fabric that needs to be sewn at the end to make a circle. That is where the seam is, and is typically put on the back of the hat.

The pinch can be anywhere on any type of hat. It's easy to re-form the crown. As famously in the Indiana Jones Raiders hat where the crown was pinched slightly off-center. Though in this case on this style/material, I think the hat probably came without a pinch and the crown took that shape either by the wardrobe team doing it on purpose or by the actor getting to know it.

But regardless, the pinch is a pretty temporary thing on a cotton/canvas hat and will be adjusted slightly as the hat is handled.

On the band - it starts as just one long piece of fabric that needs to be sewn at the end to make a circle. That is where the seam is, and is typically put on the back of the hat.
On the band, you make my point. The photo you shared, there is no seam on the band. Look closer.

Also, for cotton hats, to make the pinch, the fabric is cut and sewn in order to make a permanent pinch. All what I’m saying I’m going to add to the hat I’m having made. So I guess it doesn’t matter.

You can clearly see a seam running down the hat band in line with the seam on the crown. It looks this way on every clear photo I can find. The only thing I'm not positive about is whether there is also a seam in the back. I haven't seen any definitive evidence of that so I'm basing my theory that it's being worn backwards on the fact that on most hats there is one seam that always goes down the back. Most hats are symmetrical so the only thing to indicate the back is by looking at the seams and tag (which could have been removed in production). I'm open to the possibility that that's not the case, I just haven't seen evidence for it.

On the pinch - what you say is simply not true. The pinch and crown bash is never sewn in. All hats, whether they are made from canvas, fur felt, wool felt, palm, etc. all start as open crown hats. If there's a factory bash/pinch, it's added by steaming or heating the hat then forming it over a mold or freehand.

jurassic-park-movie-screencaps.com-12487.jpg

Watch the scene where they are in the bunker. And pause at the part where they first cut to it and Ellie is talking. Muldoon is playing with the hat in his hand. Pause there, and you can clearly see a seam at the back of the hat. He is pinching the crown at the front of the hat. Clearly showing that there are seams on both front and back of the hat. He isn't wearing the hat backwards, and the pinch is created when the hat is sewn together, its permanent. You can't steam cotton hats and shape them. That's only for felt and wool hats. That's my response to this. And its how I am going to make my replica hat.

EDIT: I stand corrected, you can steam cotton hats. Just googled it.

I mean, you're right in that a cotton hat especially if it's not waxed, doesn't have much memory and is not going to take a very permanent shape compared to other materials.

I've looked at that scene and to me it's inconclusive. He never puts the hat on so you don't see the other side. And the side he doesn't grab also looks like it could have been pinched. A hat like this can really be worn either way. But that definitely goes into the "seam both sides" possible.

jurassic-park-movie-screencaps.com-11406.jpg

I mean, you're right in that a cotton hat especially if it's not waxed, doesn't have much memory and is not going to take a very permanent shape compared to other materials.

I've looked at that scene and to me it's inconclusive. He never puts the hat on so you don't see the other side. And the side he doesn't grab also looks like it could have been pinched. A hat like this can really be worn either way. But that definitely goes into the "seam both sides" possible.

View attachment 1725498
Yeah see, he is pinching the front and the back is shown here. Im sticking with seams on both front and back. So there really is a 3 piece construction for the crown. The top, and both sides. All separate pieces of fabric.

Yeah, I just think it's possible he grabbed the "back" there.

It looks like there may also a seam that runs down the top of the hat too. So if you're just having one made maybe go 4 piece.

Yeah, I just think it's possible he grabbed the "back" there.

It looks like there may also a seam that runs down the top of the hat too. So if you're just having one made maybe go 4 piece.
You know I saw that line where you think their maybe a stitch down the middle of the top too, but after deeply looking at several other scenes with close ups, I concluded that was just a moment where the fabric wrinkled on its own.

I got my Dorfman Pacific hat and it's actually really good. Both the brim and crown are lined with a stiffener so it maintains it's shape pretty well while still being formable. The brim can be turned up or down and maintains that position. The cotton twill and hardware is also good quality. Overall a pretty great hat and even better value.

IMG_4902.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back