Jurassic Park Explorer

pelco

So I've been wanting to make an accurate jurassic park explorer for so long ever since the movie came out actually! Recently I sold my unbuilt lindberg 1/20 scale on kit on ebay and was having a little bit of remorse over it although i'd never put it together because of it's many flaws. So, I just happen to have the same kit in a street version that i built back in the day, and i plan on using the front clip to graft onto a 2nd gen explorer snap kit that is a 4 door. The biggest challenge will be making the clear roof and getting decals for it.

DSCN0769.jpg

JURASSICPARK004.jpg

I'm sure you could thermoform some clear plastic to make the roof. I always wanted an accurate one myself, but to go with the rest of the 1/24 movie cars.

I came across this in my research
1992 Jurassic Park Ford Explorer 1/24 Scale*Model

It's an old build and not the cleanest model in it's current state but you can tell there is a lot of love and accuracy there.

Yeah that one based on a diecast was one way i was thinking about going but decided not to just because of the roof. His car has hand painted decals which are ok for the top shelf but not so good up close. I'm kinda considering painting all the windows black to cheat on the roof but I really hate to go that way, it'll be last resort if i can't come up with anything.
This is hopefully going to work for the body and chassis from the doors back. Might have to use the liftgate off the 92 too. Definately need the wheels. Gonna be hard to find other stuff that will work on a 1/20 scale.
$(KGrHqVHJCkE8fnY0OdGBPsBYqDiRw~~60_12.JPG

It is an oddball scale, and until you posted I had no idea it existed. I'm sure you could find larger versions of the JP artwork online and have your own decals printed.

The model manufacturers obviously seized the opportunity to rebox existing kits for popular movies, especially in the case of these fords. They were probably all like, we don't have the four door, but we could paint this coupe. AMTs SHO Taurus became the robocop police car, a huge upgrade from the film cars.

One thing that scares me away from this one is the paint job. I'll prob chicken out and paint a Jeep.

Doesn't your completed model already have the correct wheels?

Funny this was laying next to my robocop sho taurus :cool those wheels are correct and i'll have to use them although the tires are not the right brand, but that's getting really picky LOL
0521122018a_183864.jpg

should be a cool display when i'm done

Last edited:
This 4 door will work out perfectly, the hood is a direct fit after the hinges are removed. I'm trying to decide how much of the front end i'm going to cut off and swap to make it look right. The back end should work out well. The taillights are slighly different but shouldn't even be seen after the brush guards are put on. This last pic is a good reference for the all the custom stuff i'll have to make. It's nice that it has runninng boards, this does not have an engine though and the interior might be different. Not sure i might be able to salvage the old dashboard.
DSCN0774.jpg

DSCN0775.jpg

sat01h.jpg

I'm looking at the official model kit photo and am just amazed at how inaccurate it is.

Looking forward to the progress photos!!

I got the 92 hood, grill and bumpers spliced in although the grill is not quite the right width. Looks ok though, will look better especially after paint and the brush guard is attached. Did a paint test on the old 2 door. Wasn't completely sold on the green untill i did a quick photoshop of the red. Looks good. I like the yellow but i don't like how the tamiya paint pulls from the edges like it does.
DSCN0776.jpg

DSCN0777.jpg

DSCN0781.jpg

Last edited:
Only a photoshop. I tested the red today using a vinyl mask i cut with an xacto. Came out really nice although that tamiya paint has got to go, it reacted funny to the vinyl.
DSCN0784.jpg

DSCN07842.jpg

Last edited:
So where's the best place to get thermoform plastic sheets? Especially clear plastic, without having to buy a ton at once? I'm kinda at a standstill body wise until i figure it out.

You could make a buck yourself out of bondo and then heat some plastic in the oven, press down on the buck and heat form it yourself.

To tell you the truth - clear packaging plastic works awesome. I used some from a drill set I believe it was, and just used my heat gun and hand formed it over the buck...or headlight lense as it were, for my Batwing.

Have a look for something you need that might be packaged in clear. It might do wonders. Evergreen clear crazes badly...I'd steer clear of that.

To tell you the truth - clear packaging plastic works awesome. I used some from a drill set I believe it was, and just used my heat gun and hand formed it over the buck...or headlight lense as it were, for my Batwing.

Have a look for something you need that might be packaged in clear. It might do wonders. Evergreen clear crazes badly...I'd steer clear of that.

I already got some evergreen sat, that's ok though i'll use it for front side windows. I'll have to try and find some clear packaging then. It doesn't really need to be styrene. I have something grocery store related in mind for the back portion of the roof:love

I like the brush guard was this made of evergreen tube? I think this is looking really nice and really look forward to seeing more progress. Will really be great stand alone or in a diorama.

The body recombination and the test painting are looking really good.

The front guard looks accurate and matches that render but to my eye it seems a little thick.

Very much looking forward to more keep it up

Thanks for the comments. As of right now i'm keeping the brush guard the way it is although i see it is a little thick. I might remake the whole thing later on. If i do i'm using styrene rod with wire in it. Got half of the roof almost done, just need to make the lights, and cut the front roof and then i'll be ready for paint. To shape the roof, although it sounds crazy, I used a deodorant container to mold plaster, which i used to shape the plastic sheet on. Kinda worked kinda didn't. It eventually came out alright though. Probably used the wrong method of molding, which helps me learn what to do and what not to do now with the clear section left to do.
DSCN0789.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back