Death Star Trench - Parking Lot Pyro Replica Miniature

t2sides

Master Member
Here's project 2 of 3 of the Death Star Tile recreations in miniature.

This is a near tile for tile replica of the original trench pyro model ILM used in their parking lot for filming one of the trench run scenes where Luke almost gets cooked.

Where the original used 2' x 2' Tiles, this recreation uses 3"x3" tiles. Thanks to Dan (3DImpact), this project would not have been no where near as accurate. He used all available reference photos and created detailed 3D virtual models to help identify hard to see tiles based on shadows and angles. It was a tremendous amount of time and effort on his part! Here's a link to his more detailed build rundown.
Death Star surface - ILM parking lot trench reproduction

We had to map out every tile, and MANY of the tiles had to be cut down to their 1/4 tile sections. This made for a lot of work and effort, but really paid off in the end.
One interesting item I used on this build, the Red Primered channel frames came directly from the ILM/Apogee shop. I was fortunate over a decade ago to get access to some of the materials from the actual shop, and it was fun to put some parts down that have a true ILM heritage.

So, here's some pics of the finished model, and a few of the construction.
Trench4.JPG

Trench4a.jpg

Trench4b.JPG

Trench5.JPG

Trench6.JPG
Trench7.jpg

Trench8.JPG

And here's a few rough comparisons...

Trench1.jpg

Trench2.jpg

Trench3.jpg

Trench3a.jpg

And here's a few during construction of the raw castings and layouts

Trench20.jpg Trench21.jpgTrench22.jpgTrench25.jpgTrench26.jpgTrench31.jpg

And a final couple shots

Trench32.jpg

Trench40.jpg

Thanks for looking!
-Sean

Attachments

• Trench9.JPG
    Trench9.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 95
  • Trench24.jpg
    Trench24.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 95
Oh yeah? Well, you started it! :D

Seriously, I never had any intention of doing this model until you started down the road and you executed it SO well! I was able to correct some errors in mine as you were finishing yours, so thanks for that. It really was a hugely satisfying collaboration. More fun than the actual building of the model itself was the fun in sharing new reference images and corresponding revelations with you. That's the best of part of projects like these...

Dan

That turned out fantastic. Its really hard to tell that yours is such a smaller scale, until you see it in the house on display. Two to two and a half feet, I'm guessing.
The work has paid off, between the both of you.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back