Judge Dredd Costume (comic version)

Most impressive! Definatly would like to see the build on the armor

Thanks for your great comments Tetmatek! I only have some build pics for the plain pad i'm afraid but for both pads I used 'interlocking foam gym mats' (same base material as plastazote foam). I found the foam ideal for flexibility, lightness and for ease of movement. The plain pad was originally 60cm x 22cm but I found 60 cm was to long which came to far down the chest and back. I shortened it to 52cm and trimmed the corners off. I used dense rigid foam for the bars and used gold acrylic paint which took well to the foam also.

I used the same process for the eagle pad but wrapped it around the arm, secured the front and back top corner with a small bolt through the jacket fastened with a nut. This enables the arm to be lifted and the pad to move as a pivot in a joint would. Elastic was then fastened to the bottom front and back corners. This is then run through the jacket so when the arm is lifted and lowered the pad returns to it's original position. The eagle and feathers were all crafted from spare foam pads that I have, glued into place and painted.

Here are some pics of me raising my arms to show how flexiable the armour is! I'm painting the gauntlets now so will be posting some more pic's soon!!

hi judge palmer just thought could you have not hindged the feathers under the eagles claws.as i said just a thought

hi judge palmer just thought could you have not hindged the feathers under the eagles claws.as i said just a thought

Yes, I thought about that option but felt it wouldn't look as good with a gap between the eagle body and feathers whenever the arm was raised. With the whole pad moving and the elastic out of sight the pad moves seamlessly and still returns to it's original position when my arm is lowered. Because this is how it would work in the comic also it's a accurate representation and at least I know that this idea does work.

You lost me there. :confused

if you look closely at my avatar thats judge macbrayne from calhab shoulder pad a lions head
a752vjpcagjyh21cawx5vlnzc8.jpg
instead of an eagle

Last edited:
if you look closely at my avatar thats judge macbrayne from calhab shoulder pad a lions head
a752vjpcagjyh21cawx5vlnzc8.jpg
instead of an eagle

Hi Kelpy, watch this space as I will be crafting a lions head shoulder armour within the next couple of months. I'm currently crafting some Wolverine Claws (from wood) for a client then i'll be crafing the lions head and rogue trooper equipment as a joint project.

'Creep broke the Law, he's doing time'

Beautiful costume, bud. I LOVE the look of the comic Dredd. Now, who's going on a liquid-only diet and doing Judge Death?

Hi Kelpy, watch this space as I will be crafting a lions head shoulder armour within the next couple of months. I'm currently crafting some Wolverine Claws (from wood) for a client then i'll be crafing the lions head and rogue trooper equipment as a joint project.

'Creep broke the Law, he's doing time'

Awesome work.

Looking forward to seeing the Genetic Infantryman gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any WIP pictures?

Rogue Trooper is my second fave 2000AD character after Devlin Waugh.

Thanks for your comments guys but I havent got any WIP pics! A mold from a GI helmet was taken and the sides built up from that, the inside has been fitted with a adjustable strap taken from a safety helmet! I promise that when I start Gunnar and Bagman I will take WIP pic's as I go along!! Rogue has been my second fave character after Judge Dredd!!!

Oh by the way everyone, I have put my Judge Dredd costume up for sale on ebay, I would have put it on here but unfortunatley I haven't been on the forum long enough yet, check it out!!

Oh by the way everyone, I have put my Judge Dredd costume up for sale on ebay, I would have put it on here but unfortunatley I haven't been on the forum long enough yet, check it out!!

Good luck with the auction, if it wasn't for the fact that it's about 4 sizes too small thenI would probably have had a punt on it.

How do you plan on doing Bagman & Gunnar?

Good luck with the auction, if it wasn't for the fact that it's about 4 sizes too small thenI would probably have had a punt on it.

How do you plan on doing Bagman & Gunnar?

I'm going to use elements from the comic and the PC game to craft Bagman, it will have electronics inside to light up the top of Bagman and may even have a working arm that comes out the side. Gunnar will be based mainly on the comic look, i'll post some WIP pic's as I go along!!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back