JP mosquito egg/ shiftknob/ the quest for the perfect cane

Re: JP mosquito egg/ knob part deux

Heres a bettter close up

IMG_20160205_134645.jpg

I got the printed wings and they look awesome!! It seems like they are going to hold up in the resin really well so I finished off one of the original sculpts just to see how it will look in the prop itself, while I work on molding the new body.

IMG_20160206_135013.jpg

Winner winner chicken dinner? Maybe at least McD's happy meal? LOL

Heres one of the 2 most recent mosquito sculpts bare
IMG_20160212_104727.jpg
IMG_20160212_104739.jpg

And finished
IMG_20160213_150725.jpg

If I hadn't seen this thread I know what I would have said.hmmmmmm Well done that man You have given me faith in fellow men once again.
That is excellent work.

**Update!**

I started working on making a cane. It is carved from multiple segments of wood, pinned together. I spent a lot of time carefully studying and resizing screencaps, to get it as close to the real thing as possible. I had a difficult time getting the pics to show detail, But I think Im on the right path. As far as I can tell, from my measurements, each of the bone segments should be within 1-2 mm of the actual screen used canes. I also was able to get that ever so slight curve it appears to have as well.
Ive Also been slowly tweeking, improving, and remolding my mosquito sculpt, More pics sooon!

IMG_20160312_182829.jpg IMG_20160312_182512.jpg

Thanks guys! Funky Jedi, I post the eggs to ebay, and etsy as I finish them. The full cane might take me a bit still before I can have something I feel is good enough to sell. But I will certainly notify you when I do.
Here is the latest incantation of my mosquito. Going from top (first one made) to bottom ( most recent) you can see how each sculpt gets smaller and more refined as I obsess over this picking out little details to improve upon.
IMG_20160310_142545.jpgIMG_20160317_090615-2.jpg

That looks awesome!!!!!! I was going to suggest giving it a skinnier rear area but it looks like you got it!
Color wise, the sucker part should remain black, or a VERY dark brown. Also, have you thought of doing the legs in brown at all?
Here's the screencaps from the last part of the movie:
CvOhAe.jpg

That looks awesome!!!!!! I was going to suggest giving it a skinnier rear area but it looks like you got it!
Color wise, the sucker part should remain black, or a VERY dark brown. Also, have you thought of doing the legs in brown at all?
Here's the screencaps from the last part of the movie:
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/3844/CvOhAe.jpg

I have thought about doing them in brown. Ive been playing with different materials. The hardest part is getting it to look right in the resin. Ive had a few that Ive made that looked great. Only to look terrible once inside the resin. I should post a pic of all my duds, Ive got quite the pile now. LOL

Well the latest Mosquito sculpt was a failure so Im redoing that yet again but. I Weathered the cane Prototype today And I think it looks pretty good.
IMG_20160318_183729.jpgIMG_20160318_183710.jpgIMG_20160318_183646.jpgIMG_20160318_183636.jpg

I had a feeling I should have mentioned it was just loosely set in there. LOL It will be when finished ;)

Updates!!
Thanks to a few very generous members here. I got actual measurements from a screen used cane and have redesigned the egg to conform to it. Its slightly smaller than my original and should be nearly spot on to the real thing, In terms of size and shape. I think I might add those ugly casting bubbles to this one as well. LOL
Heres a couple shots of the new Prototype next to the old one and in the cane
IMG_20160406_110742 (1).jpgIMG_20160406_114147.jpg

This is going down today as well! If all goes well I should have canes available by next week!
IMG_20160407_105816.jpg

Here are some pics of the first finished cane.
Hopefully you can see the curvature of the cane itself in the pics. This egg doesnt have the best mosquito in it. But I used it more for its shape and size, than the bug.
My understanding is The movie canes ranged in size from 85-86.5cm or 33.5" to 34" in height Depending on which one, you measure.
Mine average around 34" depending on the egg. The very top of the "bucket" should be around 34-35mm and the bottom of the foot is roughly 19mm or 3/4" without the rubber piece. I wont go into the dimensions of each bone section. But lets just say I spent a LOT of time measuring, checking, and talking to "sources" who will remain nameless about the dimensions. Each segment should be accurate within 1-3 mm in size and girth.
Contrary to popular belief the Movie canes were not glossy, and they were Ivory/off white, and lightly weathered. I may have overdone it a bit with the burnt sienna LOL

IMG_20160420_103317.jpgIMG_20160420_104350.jpgIMG_20160420_104006.jpgIMG_20160420_104041.jpg

Here is a good screen shot for color reference
2Guq5dD.jpg

This is Mosquito sculpt # 12 LOL In the second pic Im, Checking it against a screen shot. It looks fairly good but Ill most likely end up changing it again LOL

IMG_20160420_105641.jpgIMG_20160420_105703.jpg

For the foot there seems to have been two different rubber, ends used. The skinny one is more commonly seen, and I believe what was used for the gift canes. The wider rubber foot shows up in a couple shots in the first movie. The one I have shown here is close but I think it may be just a bit big. Im still on the hunt for the perfect one.
IMG_20160418_152817.jpgIMG_20160420_112413.jpgXOUBGAVLKJ.JPGJurassic-Park-John-Hammond-Cane-4.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back