JFcustom's FOAM files

Re: FOAM speed-building ►added : Loki's helmet & Guyver suit & Iron Woman◄

Nice Loki helmet. I will definitely be building this. Any tips for the build?

Edit: Tips specific to the Loki helmet and not foam building tips since I know you have a whole thread on that lol.

Thanks Durkness !

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: FOAM speed building files ►Stormtrooper◄ in progress.

Foam Predator biohelmet - raw real time building.

Last edited by a moderator:

JFcustom, I don't seem to be able to get the audio to play, so what thickness is that foam? I do think my 10mm is too thick for this project. Is that hot glue your using?

I added the brow but because it is was a post job, didn't fold properly.
1456525_10151979073028841_1591291382_n.jpg

Still pretty cool.

Don't panic : there's no audio.
It's 7mm foam. It says 6.5 but in fact it's closer to 7.
The glue gun on the video is a... wait ... a Bosch PKP18E (230V) with extended tip and integrated thermal regulator.
http://www.villagemowers.com.au/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=17&products_id=71
or
http://www.johnlewis.com/bosch-pkp-...3_1383643616_2cba947f6320956e1c843c5263d12020
But don't be fooled, a $55 glue gun is not a cure for clumsiness, and it does not prevent from missing a seam...

Last edited:

Cool. I had sounds from other video and not this one, so glad to know it is not my PC.
I will have to give hot glue a go. I do like the way you have perfected the technique of bends by using the hot glue on the inside of the bend allowing it to cool to hold the shape.

People often don't care about it, but there are several glue types and several glue gun types too.
Here, three common glue types, from left to right :
- slow glue. A long cooling delay allows to move your foam pieces to match your needs until glue freeze,
- quick glue, leaves you something around ten seconds before it turns hard,
- rigid glue, once cold it's hard as pvc and can't be bent.

About guns, the one from the video mainly for precision work, and his high-speed brother for massive gluing :

this is the glue and gun I use, got the from Glue Guns direct in the UK. They have a selection of nozzles, got the flat one and changed it for the standard one, the glue is fast setting

IMAG0510.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Don't panic : there's no audio.
It's 7mm foam. It says 6.5 but in fact it's closer to 7.
The glue gun on the video is a... wait ... a Bosch PKP18E (230V) with extended tip and integrated thermal regulator.
http://www.villagemowers.com.au/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=17&products_id=71
or
http://www.johnlewis.com/bosch-pkp-...3_1383643616_2cba947f6320956e1c843c5263d12020
But don't be fooled, a $55 glue gun is not a cure for clumsiness, and it does not prevent from missing a seam...

...or burning yourself :(

Ha ain't that the truth. I've had my share of hot glue burns and probably why I used superglue.

Anyway, not happy with the cheeks, so re-did them tonight using the original template as a guide and then customized it. I used that technique seen on the 2+hour video where he cuts groves out to help the foam bend and hold its shape. Very cool it worked a treat tonight. In my last "build up" I would glue a flat piece of foam on the parts, then grind it into shape. The problem with this method is you loose the finish on the surface and this way I got to keep that.

1390476_10151981911343841_1328782817_n.jpg

1456573_10151981911348841_1599875719_n.jpg

The new cheeks really fill out the face.

Excellent ! He could have been playing among the extras in the Mines of Moria ^^

People often don't care about it, but there are several glue types and several glue gun types too.
Here, three common glue types, from left to right :
- slow glue. A long cooling delay allows to move your foam pieces to match your needs until glue freeze,
- quick glue, leaves you something around ten seconds before it turns hard,
- rigid glue, once cold it's hard as pvc and can't be bent.

Sorry if this is a dumb question: Is it possible to spread the hot glue (whist it is still in a gel state) to coat the foam to seal it?

I used car bog on my first Bio and then covered that in ABS sludge. ABS Sludge is fairly cheap to make, but can be a bit tricky to work as it thickens up. Whilst I like the the way that Bio turned out, I don't think I want to repeat the process. I have a heap of ABS off cuts here, just not sure I want to take that path again.

So if the hot glue idea works, my thought process would be to spread the gel state hot glue out in small parts and if the third product really does set hard, then it might be a good substitute to bondo and other forms of bog which tend to crack if placed on too thin when the foam bends or flexes. Thoughts?

Re: JFcustom's FOAM files ►I'm not a StarWars thread◄ please get me back home :'\

Well, except hot glue is hot (...) and may blend your foam, except you'll get spider webs all over your helmet, and except the amount of time it will need... I see no reason why it might be a failure ^^.

Re: JFcustom's FOAM files ►I'm not a StarWars thread◄ please get me back home :'\

Spider webs I can handle. I was thinking melting a heap of sticks in a stainless steel pot. I have one that I used to mix up my ABS Sludge and the beauty is, the balance just peels off when your done.

So I went to the local hardware store tonight and they had a range of hot glue products ranging from cheap $2.00 per pack to $33 for a 500g pack of Bosch branded hot glue sticks. I really have to ask what is so special about the Bosch branded stuff to be $33? It was translucent white (other sticks look slightly yellowish) and each stick was 200mm x 11mm. Yet the melt temp was just 25 degrees C.

On Bosch glue, it says "Bosch". It's probably the only reason for the price increase.

And, you plan to use a brush, or a spatula, or ... or what ?
I'd like to see the result. A new way of plastic coating.

(btw 25°C is the temperature of the air by a sunny spring afternoon...)

On Bosch glue, it says "Bosch". It's probably the only reason for the price increase.

Kind of what I was thinking.

And, you plan to use a brush, or a spatula, or ... or what ?
I'd like to see the result. A new way of plastic coating.

I would suggest a spatula and maybe even smoothing with a heat gun. A brush will become a sticky spatula within seconds :) Hey if this works, you bet it will be all over the internet.

(btw 25°C is the temperature of the air by a sunny spring afternoon...)

Tell me about it. It was 29°C here today. Last thing I want is a dripping Pred Bio. Actually come to think about it, runny plastic might be a good way to simulate a static drool for a Xeno :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back