JFcustom's FOAM files

Re: FOAM speed building files ►Stormtrooper◄ in progress.

I recognise that bus stop!! How did it go at The Barge?!?

I'm in the final stages of my Mk IV suit for my birthday next week, painting things and connecting it all together. How did you sort out your boots? And what foam did you use for it?

Have to say it looks pretty good, and can only hope mine looks something like this!

Was a good night although getting up and down the stairs wasn't much fun. Wasn't all that many people dressed up though which made me feel like I'd gone a little over the top, I thought Monday was a bit of an odd night to do the costume contest myself.

Wearing it for the first time made me realise I need to make some adjustments in places if I'm going to wear it into town tomorrow, the boots being one of those,

The boots on Monday I wore as basic boot covers just over another pair of boots, this didn't really work all that well they were moving around all night and scraping on the floor etc. Today I've cut the parts off that look like the sole and glued the rest of the boots directly onto an old pair of boots which already have a thick sole and sprayed that red they should be much easier to wear now, I need to make some adjustments to the legs and add another strap to hold them up at the back.

If you use velcro for any parts I recommend ignoring the self adhesive part of the velcro and still gluing it with hot glue as lots of mine peeled away.

I used camping/yoga mats these ones: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yellowstone-Camping-Foam-Mat-Blue/dp/B002ZF63XG

what foam have you used? Did you buy it local? Post some pics when its complete!

...If you use velcro for any parts I recommend ignoring the self adhesive part of the velcro and still gluing it with hot glue as lots of mine peeled away.

TOTALLY AGREE. The only stuff with adhesive back that has worked marginally well for me is the actual Velcro brand industrial-strength stuff. If the velcro is gripping too well, you can also use a pair of scissors or razor to shave off some of the 'hooks' on the one side. I've had to do this while at the bar( :lol ) to fix some access panels on the go.

Kirk0:
The Liquid car wrap is rubber based so it's extremelly flexible, I've only used it as an undercoat, but it has helped, I've had some creases but no cracks as yet

oh and it works out cheaper buying the tins than the spray cans, you only need an HVLP sprayer (for fences) and you use so little
they also have a facebook page and are really helpful

Did you still seal the foam with PVA or anything or just apply the paint straight on to the foam?

you can do either it actually adheres better than pva, but I haven't actually done a full paint job with just the LCW paints yet, so I don't know how much of a high gloss you can get, think they did have some samples on their facebook page a while ago tho

Thanks for the help Mick, I've almost finished a second Mark IV build which is much cleaner than my first build which I'm using for Halloween this year, I'll contact LCW and see if they have any small sample tins or something so I can test the paint on some foam and test the flexibility of it.
I'm happy for the foam to crease and expect that after all its foam but the cracking on my first suit is already pretty bad after wearing once so hoping this will work better or next time.
I've found that the PVA coating alone cracks quite badly, the foam I've used doesn't really seem to absorb the paint much so I'll likely skip the PVA coating next time.

its plastidip

If it is the same as plastidip it is much cheaper than purchasing the official plastidip here in the UK.
Plastidip here is around £16 - £18 per can, I just bought some of this car wrap dip for £10.50 delivered, if I buy multiple cans it will work out cheaper because of postage but I bought just one can to test it for now.

Mick I don't know if you have already shopped around for the liquid car wrap but I ordered from cardipuk prices are quite a bit cheaper than Liquid car wrap.

Now that pumpkin is cool.

Some questions about Plastidip:
1. Does the foam need to be sealed first or can you just spray this stuff straight on.
2. Can you layer the stuff up to build up?
3. How hard is the surface when dry?

Now that pumpkin is cool.

Some questions about Plastidip:
1. Does the foam need to be sealed first or can you just spray this stuff straight on.
2. Can you layer the stuff up to build up?
3. How hard is the surface when dry?
1. Plastidip is used to seal the foam. So spraying plastidip is how you seal the foam.
2. I think the more Plastidip you use the more even the surface becomes.
3. I don't use much for my projects. I just use enough to seal my foam, and let the paint do the rest. Someone with more experience should be able to better answer that.

I watched a platidip video on YouTube last night (while I was looking for something else LOL), like you Alpha I've only done a couple of coats for sealing purposes, but it looks like you need to do a minimum of 6 layers of your main color to build it up and then finish with the clear
They showed both methods, spray can and spray gun, I use the later

Nice pumpkin JF, will keep that for next year :D

OK thanks. If you were spraying using a pressure pack can at $30 a can, could be expensive.

Anyway, I decided to have another go at the Pred Bio.

This is my results I made last night in about 6 hours.
Started with new cutouts by pulling apart the compressed foam version.
2013-11-01 20.23.39.jpg
To get the dome round, I just folded the centre strip almost in half first, then in small patches, glued the sides on. My last attempt had a flat top which required a heap of filling, building up and sanding. And it never actually went round like this is.
2013-11-01 21.36.40.jpg
I added the brim and laser. The laser was made up prior and the back piece is actually a mirror of the left hand side. You can see where I sanded the laser to make it more rounded.
2013-11-01 22.14.25.jpg
On goes the snout.
2013-11-01 22.14.36.jpg
And this is when it all went south again.
2013-11-01 23.59.56.jpg
Once again the cheeks were not doing what they should, so I got creative and did a custom build up. I will have an other go at the cheeks on the template tonight. If it does not work out, I will keep on this tonight and just sand them into shape.

More to come...

WOW. Awesome Stuff, keep it up and keep them coming

Can you get Halo Master cheif armour by any chance?

1. Plastidip is used to seal the foam. So spraying plastidip is how you seal the foam.
2. I think the more Plastidip you use the more even the surface becomes.
3. I don't use much for my projects. I just use enough to seal my foam, and let the paint do the rest. Someone with more experience should be able to better answer that.

Just to add to this, Plastidip will smooth out a surface as more coats are added. It's also a good idea to shake and heat your cans before spraying plasti, or any paints for that matter. NO, I don't mean get stupid with a propane torch or the oven lol, just fill your sink with hot water and set the cans in there. You can weight them down with a casserole dish or whatever to keep them mostly submerged. Even a 20 degree (farenheit) temp increase can make a huge difference on application, I let mine sit for 15 or 20 minutes and shake them afterwords. This also works really well for spray texture cans.

I usually put the can I'm using in a jug of hot water, does make a difference

Last night I completely re-built the muzzle on the Pred Bio.

2013-11-03 08.55.53.jpg

Total build time was 10 hours over 2 nights. Does that count as a speed build?

Well it's not a race ;)
Seems you got it this time ^^ Now just add the eyebrows piece and it will be perfect.

Well it's not a race ;)
Seems you got it this time ^^ Now just add the eyebrows piece and it will be perfect.

Thanks JFcustom :) That is big coming from you given you would be one of the foam masters of this site.
Cheeks didn't quite bulge again, but I do think the brow part and few small bits will complete him.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back