Iron Man MkIII suit animatronics

hey honus, kan you do point to multipoint with xbee radios?

Yes, you can do point to multipoint but there are limitations. You can have one transmitting and several receiving but I don't believe you can have multiple radios transmitting and receiving at the same time. You have to think about it in terms of conversation- one person talking while another (or several others) is listening. For a good read on it check out the book Making Thinks Talk by Tom Igoe.

Tom has a bit of info here- Physical Computing at ITP | Tutorials / Xbee Basics

Yes, you can do point to multipoint but there are limitations. You can have one transmitting and several receiving but I don't believe you can have multiple radios transmitting and receiving at the same time. You have to think about it in terms of conversation- one person talking while another (or several others) is listening. For a good read on it check out the book Making Thinks Talk by Tom Igoe.
Tom has a bit of info here- Physical Computing at ITP | Tutorials / Xbee Basics

So then you can't do channels? like for example you have on the left hand one radio going to the helmet and flaps one mini push button for each (click button once helmet opens, click it again helmet closes) and then on the right hand you have another radio going to the arm missles and the leg missles. Couldn't the left hand be like channel 1 and 2 for recieving and the right hand be channel 3 and 4 for recieving? and thanks for the read :thumbsup

Sure you can do that! You can use Hardware serial or software serial! Depends on what Arduino you got!

Use Serial1, Serial2, then Serial1 begin (), do something, serial1 end ()!
Serial2 begin (), some code here, serial2 end!

Arduino - Serial

Andy

So then you can't do channels? like for example you have on the left hand one radio going to the helmet and flaps one mini push button for each (click button once helmet opens, click it again helmet closes) and then on the right hand you have another radio going to the arm missles and the leg missles. Couldn't the left hand be like channel 1 and 2 for recieving and the right hand be channel 3 and 4 for recieving? and thanks for the read :thumbsup

You can do that but it requires multiple radios and controllers, which gets expensive. For each hand you can have input sensors that are connected to a controller that interprets the signal and then transmits the signal to a receiver/controller elsewhere on your costume that then tells servos to move. XBee radios are also transceivers- they can transmit and receive.

I don't think you can have two radios (one in each hand) send signals to a single controller without having issues concerning timing of control outputs. The other problem is that if your radio is in the helmet you don't want it physically connected to anything that is outside of the helmet- otherwise you can't take the helmet off.

Really the only thing that I see as necessary for having a wireless connection is the helmet. Everything else can be hard wired- it's more reliable, less expensive and takes up less space. Routing wires can be a pain but the tradeoffs are worth it.

Shoulder rockets!

Now you see it..... now you don't.

ShoulderRocketOpen2_zpsa7f024d6.jpg

ShoulderRocketClosed2_zps084ea64a.jpg

ShoulderRocketOpen1_zpsa1b2b587.jpg

ShoulderRocketClosed1_zps69756334.jpg

Still need to tweak the panel fit a bit but they're in there and they open up and close perfect.

Some forearm missile compartment construction pics. The sides fold down and the missile pod moves back and up. The missile will extend forward and retract. Still a bit of detail work to do on this-

Closed
GauntletClosed_zpsb9ec5fb7.jpg

Open
GauntletOpen-1_zpsde8dfefc.jpg

Missile pod
GauntletMissilePod_zps1572e457.jpg

I'm also revising the helmet mechanics to improve it and give a bit more room inside. Back to work I go!

Man this is just something. Awesome just awesome. Your skills are through the roof. Looking forward to the finished piece...GM

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back