Iron Man MkIII suit animatronics

Honus

Sr Member
UPDATE: Animatronics tutorial done! Check it out here- http://www.instructables.com/id/Animatronic-Iron-Man-Mk-III-suit

I know a lot of people are asking about IM helmet and suit animatronics for their builds and since I'm currently working on a MkIII suit for another board member I figured I'd show what I'm doing to animate his suit. Some of what I'm doing may work with other builds and maybe some of it won't as every suit is different but I'd figure I'd share and maybe it will give other people ideas. I can't answer any questions about the specific suit used-(It's a beauty!) I'll leave that to the owner.

So here's the helmet so far- I had my co worker put in on to show it open while wearing it. I still need to add the eyes, controller board, radio and batteries. Everything will be contained within the helmet so the can easily be taken off without having to disconnect anything- it's a standalone unit.

I used two mini digital servos (Hitec HS-7245MH) to power it. These are powerful (and expensive) little buggers. They are connected to a linkage that I made from 1/8" stainless steel rod. I turned down the ends of the rod and used a 4-40 thread so I could connect everything together using swivel links to eliminate binding. I welded a threaded fitting made from 3/16" stainless rod to connect the smaller 4-40 rod that runs to the servo. There is a small brass bracket that mounts to the servo- the 4-40 rod connected to this is what pushes the chin section open. The entire mechanism can come out simply by removing one screw- the servo is held securely in place with super strong plastic velcro (awesome stuff.)

There's going to be a lot going in this suit. As well as the usual lights, the plan is to have the forearm missile open, back flaps move and hopefully the shoulder rockets (if I can make them fit in there!) :)

Pics-
IMmk3HelmetOpen3.jpg

IMmk3HelmetOpen1.jpg

IMmk3HelmetClosed.jpg

IMmk3HelmetOpen2.jpg

IMmk3HelmetMech1.jpg

IMmk3HelmetMech2.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! How is it a standalone unit: aren't those plugs for each servo, or are those the antennae?

Last edited:
Very nice! How is it a standalone unit: aren't those plugs for each servo, or are those the antennae?

Those are the servo wires. The servo controller board mounts inside the helmet as does the battery and radio. There is a second controller with radio that will be mounted in the gauntlet so you can open the helmet by pushing a finger button- no wires in the arms to mess with. All of the suit function will be controlled by fingertip buttons/bend sensors.

Very cool. Any chance of getting part sources. I wouldn't ask for a whole tutorial, but just your part sources maybe?

Once it's done I will be posting a complete tutorial with all source code, schematics, parts listing, etc. I make my own PCBs but I get most of my electronic parts from Sparkfun and Adafruit. I usually buy servos from Servocity. All of these companies have excellent service and support.

Very nice work Jerome, clean and functional. :thumbsup
Look forward to getting a couple of controllers from you when you slow down enough to build em. :)

Awesome build i always thought it would great to do it by the fingers but u have made it now possible cant wait to see more. You are amazing

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back