Iron Man MkIII suit animatronics

So here's a little something extra. Just finished this helmet for a friend. Unlike the previous wireless version I made this uses a push button to open and close the helmet. Push once to open and then push again to close. Since this helmet was a for a display only (and not to be worn) the owner requested a specific lighting sequence involving the eyes and a red LED inside the helmet. Once the helmet is painted only the eyes will light up- light is leaking through the fiberglass casting.

When I post the helmet tutorial I'll show how do to the wireless setup as well as a push button setup like this. With the push button setup you can have all of the electronics in the helmet or you make the battery and activation button external- just run a wire down to your finger or gauntlet.

Going to tweak the code just a bit to have the chin open up a bit sooner...

Last edited by a moderator:
Simply amazing! What did you use to make the bolt heads on the helmet? Also I'm new to the eletronics, how are you opening and closing the helmet since it is wireless? Did you use the scale for 22-23 inch head or did you go bigger for the room with the electronics?

My concern is making the helmet but in the end it being too small to put the electronics in there.

Looking forward to your helmet tutorial and parts list. Your helmet animatronic is probably my favorite because it has such *snap* to it!

Honus, great job on that helmet very smooth faceplate operation keep up th' good work. :p:cool:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

I am new to the forum and I am contemplating starting a build in the near future.

this thread is amazing. Cant wait for the completed tutorial/ part list etc.

honus ive been lurking for a long time on this thread and greg is a lucky mothertrucker .....im glad a fellow buckeye gets something on this level .... and he has warned me the tutorial is getting close ... that is great i have a bag full of hardware trying to figure out what kind of electronics it will call roommates

Wicked helm, but aren't you worried about the speed of the opening and the closing? Seems like the stress might be too much over time. Don't want something so awesome breaking!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back