Iron Man Mark VI Build........Yep another one! (Iron man walks the mall, Pics added!)

Re: Iron Man Mark VI Build........Yep another one!

Thats what I figured, I was able to mix up a new batch and go over the ones that were still tacky, they hardened right up. Thanks you for confirming that one for me! I will just be adding more hardner then needed just to be safe.

Out of my own ongoing curiosity, I emailed 3M the following question regarding tackiness:

If I am using Bondo® Fiberglass Resin, 401, and did not add enough
hardner and it is still tacky, can I apply heat to it to make it cure?

Their email response:

If not enough hardener was added the resin may never cure. Heat most likely will help the cure (again, if enough hardener was added). May take up to 3 to 4 hours to cure. If the product doesn't harden after 4 to 5 hours, the resin will need to be removed.

You could also go buy a bottle of MEK put it in a spray bottle and mist it on the uncured area, the type of fiberglass you are using, uses MEK as the hardener.

You could also go buy a bottle of MEK put it in a spray bottle and mist it on the uncured area, the type of fiberglass you are using, uses MEK as the hardener.

Nice, thanks for the tip!

Here is a screen cap of the helm and the scale I used. My head circumference is 23in and it fits great with room for the motors.

Helm.png

Small update, I was able to put the fiberglass cloth in a few pieces.

2012-01-23_22-35-35_85.jpg

Maybe tomorrow Ill finish up with this then fiberglass resin them and the rest of the pieces. Ill update when I get more done!

thanks Ill try that see if it fits me better, this will be my #3 as well. lol

Got a few more pieces done yesterday. They come out perfect! I got the mixture down now. It just takes them about 30 min to harden up. Only got a few more pieces to go!

View attachment 82109

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

hey buddy nice job on the iron man suit :) looking really good now its coming together im in the middle of my iron man suits but doing all in foam using robos designs and stealths videos :) its hard work though but really enjoying it.spent all day yesterday cutting out templates onto card and transfering it to foam.Built a trial front chest plate and it looks good although rough round the edges so doing it again and taking my time,just waiting for new glue gun to arrive as the last one i brought started leaking hot glue everywhere!!!! ill be watching your project with interest :)

Another update, Today I was able to finish putting the fiberglass cloth in the pieces I had already hardened. Then I fiberglassed the insides. Here is a few pics of what I have all ready for bondo!

2012-02-01_14-52-20_294.jpg

Before I fiberglassed them.

2012-02-01_17-09-29_62.jpg

After i finished and put them out to dry.

I think im going to bondo the helm first and work on the motor to open and close the face mask next but we'll see. I still have a the thighs, hands and shoulders to harden. I also have to make the neck still. Man, when I list it out it still seems like a lot. But im getting there slowly but surely!

I would suggest painting a primer over the pieces before you bondo, in a different color than the bondo you're using. So if you're using an orange bondo, use a gray primer. That way you can tell the areas you've worked on and it helps you keep track of problem areas.

Otherwise looks amazing!

I would suggest painting a primer over the pieces before you bondo, in a different color than the bondo you're using. So if you're using an orange bondo, use a gray primer. That way you can tell the areas you've worked on and it helps you keep track of problem areas.

Otherwise looks amazing!

Thanks, that sounds like a good idea.

I just checked all the pieces and everything hardened up great. And Stealth was 100% right, the fiberglass cloth that hangs over the sides gets super sharp! I poked myself like 10 times just looking at the pieces lol.

Hopefully today i can get more done but im feeling a cold coming so we'll see.

Careful with the fiberglass, it can get under your skin and it's almost clear so you'll have a real pain getting it out. I've always used gloves working with fiberglass.

Where did you buy your resin and fiberglass materials, and what grade of resin did you use? I'm trying to find good cost for materials.

2012-01-18_12-34-45_924.jpg

Here is what I used. The resin was $35 Local hardware store, The bondo at Walmart for $20 and the fiberglass cloth also at walmart for $6 a package. So far I have used 3 packages of the cloth and will need one more. I have used just over half of the resin and will have plenty for the rest of the pieces. The paint brushed came from the dollar store each package of 3 was only a dollar. I got 6 packages and will most likely need more.

Hope this helps!

Kinda, thanks. All of the Walmarts around me have really downsized their entire automotive department, down to 2 or 3 aisles at most. And I can't seem to find that sort of stuff at automotive stores (Autozone, Napa, so on) so I don't know if I'm just looking in the wrong places or what. I've found sites online that sell Smoothcast 321 resin that a lot of people are using, but it's really expensive. $80 for the same amount of resin you have there.

Yeah I was looking at smoothcast but it was too much. If you have a orchard supply hardware near you thats where I got the resin from. Sears also has I but it was about $45 there, better then the smoothcast though.

The smoothcast is great, I've used it for actual resin casting and it's quality stuff. It's definitely overkill for this type of situation.

I'm planning on going to Sears and Harbor Freight tomorrow to try and price out materials. I don't know if there is an Ace Hardware around me, they might have something but I'm not banking on it.

Thanks for the tips!

The harbor freight by me didnt carry fiberglass resin nor the cloth =( good luck on your search!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back