Iron Man Mark VI Build........Yep another one! (Iron man walks the mall, Pics added!)

Re: Iron Man Mark VI Build........Yep another one! (Iron man walks the mall, Pics add

I went through your entire thread.......I saw that the only foam piece you made was the abs.....how did that turn out. Are there any other pieces that you would have made out of foam if you could go back.

I'd also like to know how comfortable or uncomfortbale the suit was as far as range of motion while you walked around the mall. Do you think the cod piece could be partially constructed out of foam to aid in sitting?

The foam abs turned out great, I gave me better movement for twisting and turning. I also made the upper thigh parts (where the hip pod is attached to) out of foam and that made walking really easy. The neck, the foot flaps, the open part on the front of the arms and the open part on the back of the leg were also made out of foam. I decided to make these parts out of foam for better movement. The over all suit was comfortable, it got better after i added suspenders to it. I connected straps to the legs that went over my shoulders and back to the leg. Then it connected together with clips on the front and back. I also put straps from the arms to the strap that was over my shoulder to keep the arms up.

Having the cod out of foam would be better for sitting but then when you walk it would bend and move in a way that wouldnt look right. Just my thoughts. I was thinking of having the cod come apart on the sides but i havent really worked on it.

The only other piece I would have wanted to make out of foam s the shoes. Just because having shoes that make a clunky clack noise itsnt the best for iron man =)

Also......did you bondo the teeth in the helmet or just eventually remove them? I'm thinking about cutting them out......bondo/paint/etc, and then somehow reattaching them

I didnt bondo them at all, just fiber glassed them and sanded them down smooth and painted them black. I was able to keep all the detail of the teeth with little distortion. To be honest you cant even tell they are not bondoed and a little "rough".

I hope this helps! feel free to ask me any thing else!

Last edited:
Re: Iron Man Mark VI Build........Yep another one! (Iron man walks the mall, Pics add

Awesome work man.... I'm busy with a mark vi myself ....
I do have a question about using the foam ,as I want my suit to be as detailed as possible will using foam be less detailed than pepping the piece....I also want it to be very hard(strong)....I'm only 14 so I don't know this stuff,lol.... thanks in advance....

Ironman4life

Also......did you bondo the teeth in the helmet or just eventually remove them? I'm thinking about cutting them out......bondo/paint/etc, and then somehow reattaching them

You can re-attach them with fiberglass

MTB: Your thread was helpful to me, but I have a Quick question about your helmet sizing.

My head is 23.5" in diameter (similar to yours) and I built the tester file at a scale of 1.00 When I tried to put it on my head, it went on easily until the diameter of my head, then i had to wiggle and squeeze into it. Once on, it was fine, and my ears brush the inside of the helmet with not much room to spare.
The actual Sharkhead file I am using is the same as the one you used, and the scale was at 1.00 but it feels too small (not completed yet) and my ears are definitely crammed in there. I think once fibreglassed, etc. that it will be very uncomfortable for me

My question: How did you know what scale was finally "good" for you after making three tester helmets? What was the basis of comfort/fit that you used on the tester helmet to determine after three builds which one fit the best?

MTB: Your thread was helpful to me, but I have a Quick question about your helmet sizing.

My head is 23.5" in diameter (similar to yours) and I built the tester file at a scale of 1.00 When I tried to put it on my head, it went on easily until the diameter of my head, then i had to wiggle and squeeze into it. Once on, it was fine, and my ears brush the inside of the helmet with not much room to spare.
The actual Sharkhead file I am using is the same as the one you used, and the scale was at 1.00 but it feels too small (not completed yet) and my ears are definitely crammed in there. I think once fibreglassed, etc. that it will be very uncomfortable for me

My question: How did you know what scale was finally "good" for you after making three tester helmets? What was the basis of comfort/fit that you used on the tester helmet to determine after three builds which one fit the best?

What I did was make sure when the helm was on it didn't look like a bobble head. I didn't want the helmet to look huge, so when the size looked good and I had enough room in it for the servo and the batteries in the chin I fiber glassed it. Also I know exactly what you are talking about with you ears being crammed in there so here is what I did.
IMG_20130419_214351_907.jpg
IMG_20130419_214359_308.jpg

After attaching the ear piece to the outside of the helmet I just cut out the back layer of the helmet and the back if the ear pod. what this did was gave my ears the perfect pocket to sit it and it also helped hold the helmet up and in place.

I hoep this help you out and if you have any other questions please feel free to ask!

Thanks for the reply MTB! I am going to keep building in scale of 1.00 and cut out the ears

Can you (or anyone else reading) help me with one other piece of advice? I am almost ready to resin the paper and trying to figure out the best way to attach all the pieces. I have seen some people say to use binder clips to attach them and then resin, but not to go too close to the edges so you can separate (i assume without cutting).
I (personally) was thinking of gluing all of them together, doing resin, and cutting apart after i have done fiberglass
Another thought was to use binder clips with foil between the parts and resin as best I can and then separate

Right now, nothing lines up well and I am worried about the overall shape. Surely I will have to glue or resin with clips just to achieve the proper shape of the helmet.

Any suggestions? I am so lost as to how best to proceed.....

Well what in did was I fiber glasses and bondoed everything then cut it apart. That way I was able to archive the exact shape I wanted then I just had to touch up the cut areas. This worked out really well for me, I'm sure others will chime in on what they did.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

What i MUST ask, is, Can you walk in the boot with out cracking the soles? ( not calling you fat) or do you just buil the sides of the soles

Woooowww man! Is a great job! nice costume!

Thanks!

nice work, the suit look great

Thank you!

What i MUST ask, is, Can you walk in the boot with out cracking the soles? ( not calling you fat) or do you just buil the sides of the soles

Yeah I can walk in the boots. I filled the soles up with bondo so they would be solid. I had a few cracks on the bottom of the boots but nothing major. I was getting a clunky click clack noise when walking so I glued a few little foam squares to the bottom of the boots to dampen the noise. It worked perfectly.

Looks amazing, Im curious how you did your motorized voice activated helm. I would be really interested in doing something like that. I have a couple of ideas but wanted to know how you went about doing that.

I don't have the patients for pepakura so props to you!

I don't have the patients for pepakura so props to you!

Thanks, yeah I is time consuming but very rewarding.

Looks amazing, Im curious how you did your motorized voice activated helm. I would be really interested in doing something like that. I have a couple of ideas but wanted to know how you went about doing that.

I used a Arduino board with an Easy VR for the voice commands. Im not a programer but i found someone on another forum that help me do it. The only issue was, it had to be super quite for the voice commands to work. Any back ground noise would mess up the Easy VR and nothing would happen. The is why I gave up on the voice commands and just put it on a switch. I have the code for the voice commands of you want it? just let me know and ill send it your way. The person that helped me is more then happy for me to share his work, I asked him already =)

Wow, awesome work, i like it:D And i like the idea using foam for abdomen, i think to facilitate movements. Mix between foam and fiberglass is a great solution, good :)

Thanks, yeah I is time consuming but very rewarding.

I used a Arduino board with an Easy VR for the voice commands. Im not a programer but i found someone on another forum that help me do it. The only issue was, it had to be super quite for the voice commands to work. Any back ground noise would mess up the Easy VR and nothing would happen. The is why I gave up on the voice commands and just put it on a switch. I have the code for the voice commands of you want it? just let me know and ill send it your way. The person that helped me is more then happy for me to share his work, I asked him already =)

Thanks, it does work really well.

Re: Iron Man Mark VI Build........Yep another one!

Curious as to why you went with foam on the abs/waist after having pepped them already...

Disregard. I see you wanted better mobility. I did the whole thing out of foam but found the paint cracked so started over with card stock and am trying to find info on how people resin and glass the abs/ribs--waist sections in order to separate all the sections easily. I already did my helmet in fiberglass, and bondoed it as a whole, then separated it, but there are so many sections to the abs/waist...

Yeah, that's why in went with foam abs and waist. It also helped a lot to get the suit more form fitting. Im able to pull the abs and waist tight around me. If it were all pep'd I wouldnt have that option.

I have to admit I like the pep'd look better though. Gives it a cleaner look imo

Those hands are great! Very good job!

- - - Updated - - -

Those hands are great! Very good job!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back