indy fedora

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Treadwell @ Nov 21 2006, 07:12 PM) [snapback]1362859[/snapback]</div>
I have a Herbert Johnson that's supposedly the same size as my 17-year old Indy Stetson, but that one fits and the HJ doesn't. I see there are tips for making fedoras fit more snugly, but what about loosening them up?
[/b]

Hey tread, loosening them up is possible, but I don't know if it's highly recommended only because it might deform the shape. What you would have to do is slowly stretch it out over time. The only thing you could really use woald be a hat stretcher http://www.kugo.com/product_hat_stretcher.htm. Just steam the hat to soften the material (beaver/felt whatever) and insert the stretcher.

Or you could head on over to COW and ask Fedora. He does, afterall, make the Adventurebuilt (sp?) indy fedora.

-Fred

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BigJoe88 @ Nov 22 2006, 01:48 PM) [snapback]1363484[/snapback]</div>
alright hats direct is proving to be a little more expensive then i can manage right now, let me know what you guys think of these places, and do you ahve any expereice with them? also which would you go with for the "complete indy experience" :p
http://www.hartfordyork.com/category/fedor...CFQFvVAodTjYTpA
thefedorastore.com
http://www.delmonicohatter.com/cgi-bin/plu...;source=adwords
[/b]

Do yourself a huuuuge favor and save up the extra cash for the Akubra. You're only going to end up disappointed with one of those others and end up purchasing the Akubra anyway.

The first one is the crappy licensed version. I'm pretty sure Dr. Jones wouldn't wear a hat with a pin of his own name on the side. The material is cheap and the bash is all wrong. Plus it doesn't look as if it has the dimensional brim cut.

The second one, while it has better material still has it share of problems. The bash is not correct to any film (even if you could undo it, it would still have odd creases from the teardrop), no dimensional cut and the ribbon is brown istead of black.

The third one might be your best bet but without being able to see the brown color it's hard to tell. Bash is only slightly close to Temple, but it would need to be re-done. And for that price, you might as well go for the HD standard Akubra fedora. Everything about it is correct, you'll just have to put in your own bash.

-Fred

LISTEN TO GIGATRON.

By all means, save up for the Akubra.

The officially licenced hats are crap quality, (the one you're probably looking at is the wool one. Wool tapers at the drop of a...well...hat...)

In general, most of what you'll find cheaper than the Standard Federation is going to be a wool hat. Wool can't easily be re-bashed, (and all the pre-bashed hats, save for Peter Bros, and Steve Delk's Adventurebuilt are incorrect,) shrinks, fades, tapers, and is generally crap.

Save a couple bucks now and replace the hat with another equally craptastic wool knock-off in less than a year, or save up a little and get a hat that will survive 15 kinds of abuse and come out looking BETTER, (not joking. My Fed Deluxe has been dragged in dust, been downrange from automatic weapon fire, fallen off the back of a horse, caught in torrential downpours, blizzards, sat on, knocked off my head by a bullwhip, etc. etc. etc. and it just kept looking BETTER and BETTER.)

You'll be much happier ;-)

All the best.

-Dan

The lid I am wearing in my avatar (at COW) is a Peter Bros that I bought 3 years ago. It is far better to save up and buy a higher quality lid. BigJoe88, you have opted for a great first time lid. The Fed DLX is a great lid and do as you ave been told... head over to COW to learn the secrets on bashing your new lid.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back