Immortan Joe Progress Log - 3d Models, W.I.P. photos, and Con Results!

Re: Immortan Joe Progress Log - 3d Modelling and various other bits.

Wow! Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm suspecting my guess of it being a 'scroll' is not correct, but my ability to find any better reference imagery of the damn thing is limited. If anyone else has any better ideas, I'm all ears - otherwise, I'll move on to one of the other ones.

That enhanced photo dashes my lamp theory but I can't say I see a scroll, either. The areas just look like amorphous decorative elements to me:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436751526.304839.jpg

There is definitely a central rivet in both areas.

Yes. The top one seems like a rivet holding it to the ribbon and the bottom one is for symmetry?

Continuing onwards. Got some more work to do on this one - I don't like the fact that the wings look so... batty?

Still, it's getting there. I honestly have no idea if my printer can do details this small, but I guess worst thing that happens is I try it and see.

Coming along nicely!

I continue to be amazed, these are coming out great!

Really nice!

Not bad, not great. Needs some refining - some really tiny details, like the lines on the engine blocks, didn't print as cleanly as I would have liked, which is partly do do with the model and partly to do with the fact that I need to try and calibrate my printer a bit tighter.

I'll be fiddling with this a bit until I get it right. Kinda doubt I can do the text in a legible way on this thing, so I may replace the open oval section in the bottom with something different.

Looks great to me. Some of the detail can be added with paint!

Made some more tweaks and changes for accuracy and printing purposes. It's about as close as I think I'm gonna get with this one.

Model itself is available for download here. It may not look pretty, but hey, Simplify3d can slice it well enough:

Reprint in progress, let's see how it goes. If this works, I figure I'll clean them up and try cold cast the badge reproductions I've been making.

Brilliant!!! You are a hero to all the Immortan Joe costumers out there. Do you plan on making the oval cross bar as well for this medal?
MAX_gallery_22_gallery_primarycirlcle.jpg

Also I saw early in the thread you were asking about what style of gas mask hoses to use for Joe. The Lighter ones connecting to the mask itself appear to be from a Russian child size gas mask. I haven't found any hoses on sale individually, but the masks including the hoses are pretty cheap, most are listed on ebay for around $10. *The People Eater also is seen wearing one of these masks as a cod piece.* The other darker style hose that connects to the bellows I got from this etsy seller. https://www.etsy.com/listing/233274...ber-hose-tube-50-60cm?ref=shop_home_active_23 Hope this helps!

The other darker style hose that connects to the bellows I got from this etsy seller. https://www.etsy.com/listing/233274...ber-hose-tube-50-60cm?ref=shop_home_active_23 Hope this helps!

The darker hoses are still cheaper to buy as part of a full kit, when you consider the shipping.

http://www.budk.com/product/Russian-Military-Surplus-Gas-Mask-SCHM-41M-With-Hose/178398.uts

Keep checking the site, as they have an almost daily update to their "promo code". Just wait until you see a good % discount, or Free Shipping.

For the printed valve, I have a model that I worked up, if you're interested in it. It fits the hoses just perfect, however still requires some adhesive to hold them in place.

Last edited:

I got a deal on two child-sized gas masks similar to what you've pointed out, Erik. Found a guy with a couple on eBay for cheap... only problem is that he's somewhere in Europe, and I didn't realize that when I finalized my order with him, so now I get to wait until late July or mid-August until they arrive. Damn you, international shipping!

eriksmask said:
Do you plan on making the oval cross bar as well for this medal?
View attachment 500634

Sure do. Interestingly, I think the way it's presented there is wrong. In the film, the medallion ribbon feeds into the slot:

KgnHHbe.jpg

I will probably opt to do that.

@Sinned, when you mention the valve, what are you referring to specifically? The connector between the hoses and the mask? I'd love to see what you've got, if that's the case - I've been tinkering with my own model for it but without the hoses to size it properly, I'm kinda shooting in the dark here.

Last edited:

Ein, sorry, yes, the connector between hose and mask. Happy to send you the .stl file. It's tailored a little more towards my needs...retrofitting a sculpt I did back in October, and added the valves on later, so they have an extension on the bottom, so I can insert them into a hole drilled in the mask. But that's easily chopped off. Or kept, if it helps.

Slightly different than the model you show at the start of the thread, but pretty close. I'm adding the tubing, and screws after the fact, so they're not part of the model. These clean up pretty good with some XTC-3D, or other what-have-you for filling in the striations, etc.

valves_zpseqkuynpa.jpg joevalved_zpso7lyjk0q.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I got a deal on two child-sized gas masks similar to what you've pointed out, Erik. Found a guy with a couple on eBay for cheap... only problem is that he's somewhere in Europe, and I didn't realize that when I finalized my order with him, so now I get to wait until late July or mid-August until they arrive. Damn you, international shipping!

Sure do. Interestingly, I think the way it's presented there is wrong. In the film, the medallion ribbon feeds into the slot:

http://i.imgur.com/KgnHHbe.jpg

I will probably opt to do that.

@Sinned, when you mention the valve, what are you referring to specifically? The connector between the hoses and the mask? I'd love to see what you've got, if that's the case - I've been tinkering with my own model for it but without the hoses to size it properly, I'm kinda shooting in the dark here.

Yes, unfortunately most of the vintage gas mask suppliers seem to be out of Europe.

Interesting in that image how the ribbon placement is. Strangely it flips back to how it is on the mannequin in other shots... actually within the same scene.
joe medals.jpeg
Though I do see there are two holes on the top with cord securing it to the chest armor, the holes don't appear to be on the display costume.

Sinned said:
@Ein, sorry, yes, the connector between hose and mask. Happy to send you the .stl file. It's tailored a little more towards my needs...retrofitting a sculpt I did back in October, and added the valves on later, so they have an extension on the bottom, so I can insert them into a hole drilled in the mask. But that's easily chopped off. Or kept, if it helps.

Slightly different than the model you show at the start of the thread, but pretty close. I'm adding the tubing, and screws after the fact, so they're not part of the model. These clean up pretty good with some XTC-3D, or other what-have-you for filling in the striations, etc.

View attachment 500650 View attachment 500651

Those look pretty good, and I might borrow some of those elements for the one I'm working on, if that's alright, but the one I have now is designed to interface properly with the surface of the mask I've got printed, so I'll probably stick with it. A point of interest is that there seems to be some copper piping that goes from the bottom of the valve into the jaw behind the rear lower teeth, so I've been modifying my design to include those bits.

I also truthfully want to keep my attachment point hollow so I can see if I can actually breathe through those tubes. I have a slight fantasy in my head of putting a fan in the back bellows that creates positive pressure and just blows air into the mask, to keep me cool in a con setting. :D Probably would smell a bit stale through old gas mask hose, but still, if it works, it'd be really neat.

Can you give me a diameter measurement (diameter!) of the rubber hose from those childrens' gas masks so I can ensure that my 3d printed vent attachment is the right size?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back