BlackFeatherCre

The Pre-Ramble
Sooooooooo... My first ever attempt to replicate a costume piece as closely as my recourses allow.... off.. This is gonna be a doozey....
A bit about myself. I am a propmaker trying to break into the professional film industry. I have a bachelor in Special Effects Modelmaking from the University of Bolton, and I thusly have a bit of experience in terms of 3D modelling, scratch building, moulding, casting and 3D printing. I would however not consider myself an expert in any of my chosen techniques. Any assumptions or conclusions about the actual construction of the helmet should be taken with a grain of salt. That being said I am very excited to start this project, so LETS DO THIS!!!
1689905275207.png

References and Deconstrction
All the references are based on either BTS footage, screenshots or rumours that I have heard. I imported everything that I could find into a Puref file (Sardaukar Helmet Ref.pur) and sorted it according to perspective.
1689906923835.png

By looking at the footage, I concluded that the helmet was split into two main pieces. You have the main "helmet" that is held on by a elastic strap around the back, and the "windcap" that covers most of the head except for the face. The division line would run along the back of the clear vison along the "jawline" of the helmet.
1689905205919.png
The "Helmet"

1689905361491.png
The "Windcap"

The Helmet itself consists of 6 main parts as far as I could see. You have the Clear visor (1), two sides (2), the respirator (3), the rubber moulding (4) and the back frame (5).
helmet partition 1.jpg
helmet partition 2.jpg

From what I could see the cap consists of 3 layers. A black open-face balaclava with some details on the temples, the darc metallic basecap and the two light metallic pads on the back of the cap.
1689905361491.png
1689906748439.png

The Plan
As far as I know FBFX was responsible for creating the costumes for Dune. Knowing some of their techniques I can sort of puzzle together how these helmets were created. I am assuming that all of the parts were moulded and casted from 3D prints (yes, even the visor) in either PU resin, or PU rubber. To insure minimal shrinkage and absolute visual clarity the parts would have been vacuum casted.
Now... I do not the have skills or the facilities of FBFX, but I will try to come as close as I can with what I have at hand. The plan is to make a 3D model based from all the screenshots and references that I have found. Its will probably not be 100% screen accurate, but I will do my best. Next I will print all the parts, finish them and mould them. As for the visor, I might try and Vacuum form it. It will probably be very flimsy and flawed, but it is the best that I can do for now. If anyone knows a way to vacuum cast clear resin or plastic, PLEASE let me know.
As for the windcap, I will probably try to pattern it from EVA foam, in order to make it flexible and comfortable to wear.

As I am writing this I am in the process of moving from the UK back to my homeland (Norway), so updates will probably be few and far in between. Please be patient. However please follow and comment should you be interested in seeing more of this project. It would motivate me to poste more and push me further on this project.

Cheers,
Kilian Wagnerberger

Last edited:
1st update!
I am in the middle of the 3D modeling process. Its is a bit difficult as I have limited experience with sub-division modelling, but I am making progress. The orthographics from the concept art are very different from the screen used helmet, and some of the details dont match up in different perspectives, but I can use them as a guide for general proportions.
1691066287138.png

I am using blender to model the helmet over a 3D scan I took of my head, using my phone.

What do you guys think?

Having a scan of your head is a great and very useful first step. I have been using Blender professionally for over 16 years and can recommend Josh Gambrell on Youtube for hard-surface sub-D modelling procedures.

Having a scan of your head is a great and very useful first step. I have been using Blender professionally for over 16 years and can recommend Josh Gambrell on Youtube for hard-surface sub-D modelling procedures.
Thank you! I will look at that in the future! I have found out that this model might be a bit too advanced for sub-d modeling in Blender, but I will take a crack at it in Zbrush! But again thank you for the tip. Much appreciated!

I think I might have hit a jackpot when it comes to this project. I was playing COD: MW2 and I saw a operator pack for Dune part 2, which was a Sardaukar operator with screen accurate Helmet. With the help of some very friendly people from the Bonelab Modding community i managed to get my hands on the 3D model from the game. Now I can use that model as a reference for the finished helmet!
1699723004586.png

It is not printable and it is missing a lot of the details, but it definitely a good starting point!

I think I might have hit a jackpot when it comes to this project. I was playing COD: MW2 and I saw a operator pack for Dune part 2, which was a Sardaukar operator with screen accurate Helmet. With the help of some very friendly people from the Bonelab Modding community i managed to get my hands on the 3D model from the game. Now I can use that model as a reference for the finished helmet!
View attachment 1760892
It is not printable and it is missing a lot of the details, but it definitely a good starting point!
Hello ! Would you be willing to share this 3d model please ? I'd love to use it as reference in a project.

Thank you ! Really enjoy watching your progress :D

View attachment 1760892

Hey any updates on the project? I'm super down to help getting these helmets modeled/made up. Do you have access to the Kindjal 3D model from MW2 as well?

The following video shows a pretty good, short behind the scenes look at how the costume is put together. Could be good reference for non color graded paint colors and a good look at the two halves of the helmet separated.

Here's another video for some good reference of the back of the helmet.

Hey any updates on the project? I'm super down to help getting these helmets modeled/made up. Do you have access to the Kindjal 3D model from MW2 as well?
I would love some help with getting this 3D modelled. I have only acces to the Sardaukar helmet unfortunately. In what capacity would you be able to help me?

I would love some help with getting this 3D modelled. I have only acces to the Sardaukar helmet unfortunately. In what capacity would you be able to help me?
Heck yeah dude! Let me know what problem spots I can help you out with the model. I’m used to modeling more in Fusion360 which isn’t great for surface/stl editing but is pretty good at engineered/technical parts. With that being said, I was thinking of starting off with modeling the respirator (part #3 and #4) and then moving to the two side jowls (part #2). Would you be willing to send over the COD model at the minimum so we can use that as a baseline?

Cheers!

Soooooooooooo nice to find you!!! i Start my own project with the helmet, i will use 4mm Lexan Policarbonate for the crystal, i will do it combat proof. I use a 28 mm miniature model to get the proportions of the helmet and the glass it self. Im Interested in be in contact with you and maybe we can help each other, i can share all my files. Send me a mesagge! Im From Argentina! see you!

If anybody does a run of these, please post here as well. I sometimes miss the junkyard announcements. I would be wearing this, equipped with speakers and microphone as my in meeting headset for remote work calls....

Hi! here it is the last im working in, in the model. I Rip it form a 28 mm miniature figure, pretty accurate though. A little history behind my proyect. Im looking foward from many years ago to open a Dojo. I was doing different martial arts, from Kenjutsu, to Bohurt, and HEMA last year. But the tecnics and al the mystic behind the sword figthing bore me... so i was looking forward for a way of swrod practice more modern, in all the concept, and with integration of the martial art into society. But i think you cant do this from the old fashion way, with ancient rituals from another cultures, so i start to cooking something new, new weapons, ,new armors... and while i was conceptualizing my idea i see Dune... and everything just fit up... So im looking foward for Lexan Acrylic, thermoformation, No-Newtonian armors and newly design Nylon swords... And this helmet its the crown of everything. So im preety glad if i can join in this quest, and give whatever its necessary.

1713394338095.png

mONGE Vviews of the model im working on. I rip the crystal part to made an escayola model, so i do the thermoform on the 4mm Lexan plastic. It will be battle ready at the end, needs to surpass some breaking point experiments before use it in an esgrima sparring.

1713394887506.png

1713394861946.png

1713394843259.png

1713394819351.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back