ILM Welding Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice work especially the paint job resemble the original.
Top job on the paint job as always Guy!

Don

Cheers Don, just a practise run but I really do love it, cant wait to get the real one built, such a shame the other one is an impossible build without breaking into the archives :-(

My compressor broke painting it so was a bit of a ball ache, I used 4 different backs to see what worked best, I'm still thinking I may need to look at enamel's before I do the final build. I just hate enamel paint, always have. The base coat on this was thrown together without using the ref so am pretty chuffed but it has over 4 colours in it, next time it;ll be 3

Great work Guy.Never seen this model before.That's great how they used vaders helmet for the bottom part.

Dave

They're on there Propstore website, they had 2 that they sold some time back, great little models that never made it on screen in Jedi, we've been ID'n for a while and mostly its all turned up now but I think the scout trooper one may have used a stop Motion trooper helmet so its unlikely we'll ever find a replacement without having in sculpted. Shame as they're great little builds.. I don't want to post pics of them as they're copyrighted to Propstore but go check em out

- - - Updated - - -

I had a few vader helemts to size the right one, so decided to not waste the wrong one :)

Awesome work as usual! I always thought it was a shame these never made it on screen. Would've definitely made it feel more like the DS was actively under construction and given a better idea of how it was being built (that didn't involve innocent contractors and Wookiee slaves...lol).

These are really cool....didn't know about these!!! I would love to see the other ones, can't find them! Great job guy..these are so cool!! I would like to have these guys in my archives!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Guy.I found the auction pictures for the one you made,but I couldn't find the other.It looks like you added some parts to your build?I have to say I like your build Better.

Dave

This build isn't a replica of the welding droid,this was just a quick similar style build so as not to waste the vader helmet I bought that was incorrect, this was just influenced by till I get all the kits in we've Id'd recently, then I'll build the correct Droid and have a better understanding of how to paint it :)

This is its bigger brother so to speak, I have to say I absolutely love it, its such a cool little display and easy to make, I'm thinking of dong about 8 of em and dotting them round my garden like gnomes !!!!

You really do have the painting down to an art - it looks amazing!

Hard to tell scale from the photos, how big is it?

Cheers bud, its a quick test as the main build has been pricey for me as didn't have some of the kits required so its nice to get a test in first. its a bout the size of a clenched fist, but this is a bit bigger than the real one when its done.

If this one is just a test, I cant wait to see the real one!
Thanks for the info Guy.

It now has a smaller brother :), just a few parts to add and a compressor to land and its done, what a fun little model to build

Thanks to Julien's keen eye on the M23 tooling, I decided to not wait and just build it with the wrong tooling but its worth it as its so cool to have these up n running and hope to see a few more asap

ITs got a few silly errors but it looks the part and I'm not stripping bits off for the sake of a few mm here n there......thanks to the Propstore for showing these....I cant believe I left it so long!!! Its nice to be at the bench again before the big bird lands.

Can not wait to paint it

Its kinda nice knowing things will fit before you put em on, come on post man I can get this done if you hurry up

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back