I ROBOT Spooner ID and Badge

<div class='quotetop'>(muttley @ May 23 2006, 03:39 AM) [snapback]1248749[/snapback]</div>
dangit...I though I dredged over all the pics in thread. :unsure [/b]
:lol Happens to the best of us.

<div class='quotetop'>(muttley @ May 23 2006, 03:39 AM) [snapback]1248749[/snapback]</div>
man, what is it about the center of that pic and the center of the screencap that look different? Even just that pic looks like something is off.[/b]
Hmm. Not sure what it could be. I compared them side-by-side and they look the same to me, except of course that one is backlit and out of focus. The focus issue aside, could the backlighting itself account for what you feel is the difference in appearance? For example, it seems as if the lighting washes out some of the details in the building under the scales, which could cause the logos to appear to be slightly different.

Both the gun and badge were cast of my screen used gun and badge. I had the graphic for the resin badges traced by my buddy and graphicswizard Mike.

Marc

<div class='quotetop'>(LeMarchand @ May 22 2006, 01:59 PM) [snapback]1248769[/snapback]</div>
Both the gun and badge were cast of my screen used gun and badge. I had the graphic for the resin badges traced by my buddy and graphicswizard Mike.

Marc
[/b]

sweet. who's badge is it? Did spooner use 2 badges? one says 9644A and the othe says 4084D. I hadn't seen the one with the Eagle before.

(please don't let it be in the first posts of this thread. I SWEAR Temponaut I read em.... :angel )

Yes, I drew the 'building' and what-not in Illustrator from a scan of Marc's badge. Marc's badge was numbered 9644A (presumably some background officer). Spooner's badge number is obviously 4084D. I included both numbers in the graphics that were sent out, so the customer could have a choice.

-Mike

playing around with the badge center.

I think what I see as a yellow building is just my eyes playing tricks on me. I dunno.

Neil

edit BTW just messin around with this. If Marc and Sith already have it in AI that would be the best. I'm just the DIY type...speaking of that I need to get on that wallet :p

<div class='quotetop'>(muttley @ May 23 2006, 11:21 AM) [snapback]1248946[/snapback]</div>

playing around with the badge center.

I think what I see as a yellow building is just my eyes playing tricks on me. I dunno.

Neil

edit BTW just messin around with this. If Marc and Sith already have it in AI that would be the best. I'm just the DIY type...speaking of that I need to get on that wallet :p
[/b]

Try using "chicago" for the text

Chicago.gif

Any progress here?

Still hoping that we can make the light-up Spooner badge/ID/wallet combo a reality. :love

man, I have just moved into my new place. okay by just I mean 4 weeks agao, but dam there are boxes everywhere.

at a local con I picked up an ID and a clear badge.

now I gots no clue what to do next, much less where its all packed away

<div class='quotetop'>(muttley @ Aug 17 2006, 12:14 AM) [snapback]1301531[/snapback]</div>
at a local con I picked up an ID and a clear badge. [/b]
Where is that "envy" smilie...

Great score, man. Is the badge cast from a screen-used?

How good is the ID?

Open up all of those boxes and post photos at once. AT ONCE. :p

man, it was pretty random. I just walked by and there they were. The guy said it was cast from screen used. The badge is okay. The ID card...the more I looked at it the more sloppiness I see, but it's decent.

man, that's how busy I've been. I remember being soooo excited to get back to the list. then we sold and bought a house in the same week and had to be out of the old house in 2 days. I slapped everything into boxes, rented a POD container and shoved it all in.

I'm barely recovering. I'll post pics of it later tonight.

guess this means I really need to start the wallet.

<div class='quotetop'>(muttley @ Aug 17 2006, 12:44 AM) [snapback]1301558[/snapback]</div>
guess this means I really need to start the wallet.[/b]
Bwahhahahahaha. There's nothing that can stop you now. :lol

Well, here's what I have after almost 2 years of fiddling with this darn thing.

irb01dc9.jpg

irb02zh9.jpg

irb03fm7.jpg

irb04in1.jpg

irb05mm8.jpg

irb06hm5.jpg

irb07xd4.jpg

I think I have used just about every technique I know to get it this far. I still need to make some minor changes to the ID and then get the badge a bit cleaner and to not look blue when the light is off.

I am using a single super bright led which seems to work well and spreads the light nicely and also has a nifty little switch on the side. My main problem with this setup is housing the batteries. It uses 3 button cells which makes the casing .644" thick, when the screenused appears closer to .5" at most. I'm trying to figure out how to put the batteries side by side so I can thin down the case a little more.

The badge side will have a screw-on back so the batteries can be replaced (those are the white pieces you seen in the first few photos). I also need to figure out the best way to join the two halves together.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

<div class='quotetop'>(Jmtwo @ Aug 19 2006, 02:56 AM) [snapback]1303056[/snapback]</div>
Any comments and suggestions are welcome.[/b]
I've got a comment for ya:

:eek :eek :eek :eek :eek

Sorry to be so inarticulate. It's after 3:00 a.m. here. :p

You're able to get that nice diffused effect all over, including down to the bottom of the badge, using just the one LED? The reflector down there is really doing the trick. Very nice.

I guess those buttons were the thinnest cells you could use? There are some pretty flat batteries on the market, but I have no idea whether any of them can be used with a single LED like this. Failing a thinner cell, your idea of laying them out side-by-side sounds like a good way to reduce overall width.

Is the case Kydex? It looks diecut. Niiiice.

Could you tell us a bit about where you sourced the badge and ID? Everything looks terrific. What's the badge made from?

It's coming along beautifully, Jmtwo. If you can just get that case a little thinner...

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Excuse me.... but sweet buddha...............................

Do you mind if I worship you?

THAT LOOKS AMAZING. If you could see me now I am jumping for joy right now....

I thought this project had been dropped... again... but oh no.... WOW WOW WOW :eek :eek :eek :eek

-Bryan

great googley moogley

anybody want my stuff I'm just gonna give up. OMFG

JM2....any chance for a quick tutorial or materials list. if that stuff was laser or die cut, put me down for an order...omfg

have I said OMFG?

Jmtwo,

Fantastic work. Have you ever thought about using flat profile LEDs? Like the ones used below? These are roughly 2.5" in diameter. These could also reduce the thickness of the badge area.

lightdisc.jpg

Hey fellas, thanks for the encouragement. I will give up more details about it's construction soon.

Just for kicks, my first youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzcsYpviwy0

Shows the badge being lit up and turned off. Seems to look the best at the smallest size.

Thanks to Sith Sheriff Brody over on PC I have a diagram and I am working on moving the batteries and switch into the casing behind the ID card. This should allow me to keep the thickness of each side to around .47" thick, which appears to be within range of the actual prop. And they got to cheat by leaving battery packs visible on the exterior. Mine will be clean on the outside.

Anyone have any good ideas for the "spine" of the badge?

<div class='quotetop'>(Jmtwo @ Aug 19 2006, 11:55 AM) [snapback]1303342[/snapback]</div>
Anyone have any good ideas for the "spine" of the badge?[/b]
Are you talking about the spine of the case?

{EDIT} Tried your video link, but got this warning message:

<blockquote>This is a private video. If you have been sent this video, please make sure you accept the sender's friend request.</blockquote>

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back