How to build a Hero Cricket phaser

These are great kits. I have just been building mine based on this tutorial. I have a word of warning though. The wires to the speaker are solid, not stranded, and somewhat short. I had broken one of the wires testing the circuit with batteries and had to resolder it. Unfortunately now that I've glued the body all together, I discover that the buttons and lights all work fine but there is no sound. I'm sure one of the speaker wires must have broken again. I suggest to those building the kit to avoid bending the speaker wires too often.
Anyway, can anyone suggest how I could separate the body to repair the wires now that it's all superglued together?

Got a Dremel with a thin cut-off wheel? I'd consider replacing the wires with flexible stuff too.

After reading about the problems with the solid wires on the speakers, I started building all of my Cricket electronics with stranded wires. So their will be less problem with broken wires in the future.

I love the type 1 or cricket phaser. It really brings me back to my youth when tng first came out. I also love how its so reminiscent of the original type 1 phaser from the os.Gonna try to get my hands on a cricket very soon and since i cant put megablocks together im gonna have to buy one lol.

What's even nicer is that the kits are really nicely priced. I made a static one awhile back and filled it with solder; it feels super realistic!

I understand that Myron just recently made a few changes to the Cricket phaser after he got hold of a screen-used version. My electronics still fits fine, but I believe their are a few minor cosmetic changes. Has anyone heard anything?

I love my Crickets! Awesome kits. I did mine with the GMProps and one with the Playmates elctronics. Both came out great. Interested to know what has been changed too. I always thought the emitter tip was a bit off. Stapleton..................?

Nisiascamera041.jpg

I love my Crickets! Awesome kits. I did mine with the GMProps and one with the Playmates elctronics. Both came out great. Interested to know what has been changed too. I always thought the emitter tip was a bit off. Stapleton..................?

Nisiascamera041.jpg
I have 2 projects going at once. Trying to get both finished up. I am hoping this week both will be ready.

The emitter is one change. I also changed the battery holder, made the whole thing thinner, and added a switch to turn the thing off for storage. It will be a little more than my older ones, but I have added quite a bit to it

Here is a couple of pictures one laying side by side with the screen used one.

screenusedprojects00.jpg

screenusedprojects01.jpg

The new emitter looks nice so far, as well as the new battery holder. When will the new one be ready? I may have to pick up another kit as I have a new red/green power meter built for a second Playmates build.

First one with Playmates board.
http://www.youtube.com/user/directorcass

Last edited:
Bumping with some more pics of my Stapleton Cricket w/GMProps board. Who else has built them? I know several were started. Any more updates on the revised Cricket kit?

Nisiascamera037.jpg

Nisiascamera039.jpg

Nisiascamera034.jpg

Nisiascamera036.jpg

Bumping with some more pics of my Stapleton Cricket w/GMProps board. Who else has built them? I know several were started. Any more updates on the revised Cricket kit?

I've built quite a few of these using Stapleton's kits. Very simple and not too labor intensive. Here is the last one I built about a month ago:

1-4.jpg

5-4.jpg

8-3.jpg

12.jpg

14-1.jpg

I wish I could build props as well as you guys. I keep trying but I always mess up on the painting. I guess practice makes perfect.

I have not tried building a Cricket yet, but I do have a Stapleton kit here, so I may take a shot at it. That is... after I get all the electronics orders out of the way. :rolleyes

I wish I could build props as well as you guys. I keep trying but I always mess up on the painting. I guess practice makes perfect.

I have not tried building a Cricket yet, but I do have a Stapleton kit here, so I may take a shot at it. That is... after I get all the electronics orders out of the way. :rolleyes

To be honest, Gerry, that was what I had to get better at. The building and shaping and sanding to get the bodies perfect is easy for me. The painting (and knowing what weather is best to paint in -- summer humidity!) took me a while to perfect.

So is it better to paint on warm humid days (we get lots of hot days here and summer is coming) or cooler dryer days? Or does it depend as much on the paint and the surface being painted?

So is it better to paint on warm humid days (we get lots of hot days here and summer is coming) or cooler dryer days? Or does it depend as much on the paint and the surface being painted?

From my experience, I find that the paint and the clear coat cure so much quicker and cleaner on very hot and humid days. In the winter when it is colder and there is more dry moisture in the air, the paint takes much longer to dry and it remains tacky for a while. Same goes for the clear coat.

Hi guys long time lurker, limited poster here. I have a stapleton kit here and am waiting for my gmprops electronics to arrive. What kinds/ colors of paint are you guys using to finish your kits? Thanks!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back