Q: Replacement parts for a Star Trek VI hero phaser?

Sparklejinx

As noted in the Screen Used Costumes and Props section here, I am looking for guidance on repairing a screen used prop with an accurate, missing replacement piece. (sorry for the cross post)

I purchased a hero working prop assault phaser from ST VI, which has a distinctive, red-cast resin chip engraved with “NCC-1701 Enterprise 647” in the bottom of the magazine-style lower grip. The metal muzzle is missing exposing the LED element, and I’d like to find a suitable replacement and have it repaired for display.

Richard Coyle worked on the prop and informed me that the body was made by Greg Jein’s shop (with the grip, magazine, and lower part of the body is from a Berreta M93 replica toy gun). Coyle provided the trigger switch, tip light and square LED in the back, and Ed Mirecki created various metallic parts including the muzzle, rear fins and knob on the side.

Is there a recommended source for providing and installing a replica muzzle? TIA

ST VI hero phaser 01.jpg

'Providing and installing'? Dude, if you have cash, hire pros to do the work. If not, learn how to make stuff. This is the way.:cool:

Thanks - while I make a lot of stuff, I don't have a metal lathe. I'd like to know which "pros" are recommended for hire, ones who do quality repair work and can provide custom parts manufacturing and finishing. (In this case, copying a soft cast model of the muzzle I have, duplicated in aluminum.)

The bottom section of that tip probably needs a mill at minimum. Its a bit complicated. I have no idea how accurate this is to the original.

st6.png

Last edited:
Thanks - while I make a lot of stuff, I don't have a metal lathe. I'd like to know which "pros" are recommended for hire, ones who do quality repair work and can provide custom parts manufacturing and finishing. (In this case, copying a soft cast model of the muzzle I have, duplicated in aluminum.)
Sorry, if you have the cash to purchase a screen used hero prop you really need to hire a local machinist to do the metal work. I inquired when I was making my resin body assault phaser static replicas, and I was quoted prices between $300 & $900 for an emitter. And that's not including installation.

Last edited:
Nice phaser. I have a nozzle that is perfect for your needs. It's two part so the middle spins and should slide right into the hole in the front
of your phaser assuming there is a hole there.
assault phaser nozzle.jpg

Sorry, if you have the cash to purchase a screen used hero prop you really need to hire a local machinist to do the metal work. I inquired when I was making my resin body assault phaser static replicas, and I was quoted prices between $300 & $900 for an emitter. And that's not including installation.

Or he can post the question here and a nice guy like Nicksdad will help him out and provide eaxctly what he needs instead of bitching about how much money someone may or may not have. If you dont want to help then dont but bitching like you have done in this thread is Bull****. Not everyone who has screen used props is rich.

Or he can post the question here and a nice guy like Nicksdad will help him out and provide eaxctly what he needs instead of bitching about how much money someone may or may not have. If you dont want to help then dont but bitching like you have done in this thread is Bull****. Not everyone who has screen used props is rich.
Actually I got that part from Gary many moons ago, and I somehow got the impression I was getting his last one, or I would have mentioned him. Yeah, in rereading my posts my impatience came off more acidic than intended. This is NOT the way. Sorry @ Sparklejinx.

Nice phaser. I have a nozzle that is perfect for your needs. It's two part so the middle spins and should slide right into the hole in the front
<snip>
Thanks very much - that "super hero" muzzle (the model that turns on the post) may just work, and the post may slip into the space.

Here's a photo of the front where the muzzle would attach, and appears that one had been glued on previously. (that's the way I purchased it)
ST Assault - Front.jpg

In doing some additional research, I learned from Richard Coyle that Ed Miarecki was hired by Greg Jein on ST5 to make the metal muzzle, rear radiator fins and side knob, and later made a copy that he sold to fans. I also have a photo of the front of another static assault phaser from the same films, which shows the detail on the metal muzzle.
ST Assault - static - front.jpg

And thanks for the comments. I was lucky to get this piece in The Azarian Collection auction a few years ago. With the way phasers are going (watching the Jein auction last week) I'm really happy to have it! (Hero Assault Phaser working prop from Star Trek VI.)

A quick update: thanks to Nicksdad for the replacement part! (shown below)

This is a repair I plan to take on this weekend along with reassembling and replacing a missing screw that bolts the cowl on to the main frame of the phaser (and maybe 3D printing or form a new trigger given the original is missing). It appears that some old clear epoxy was used to affix a muzzle previously, but I'm going to see if I can just have it physically connect so as not to damage the prop.

1698880631074.png

Which reminds me of a question for the group: Are there recommended prop restorers for ST items and others?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back