How do you put your glue gun

IMIM2

Sr Member
Hi,
I have a troubling question, how do you put your glue gun?
Most glue gun have a wire stand, so when we put down, the "barrel" is actually about 45 degree angle.
However, the glue keep flowing out from the nozzle.
At one time, I have the whole stick gone, just because I was too busy modifying the foam.
I made a "stopper" from foam but it melted away.
I tried to hang the gun so the barrel is pointing up, but still the glue melted and now the body is covered with glue.

So how to stop the glue from unnecessary flowing?

Right now, I just pull the stick out a bit to stop the flow, whenever I need to have a long pause. But it's not the right solution, I guess.

Please help. I apologize if it is posted in the wrong forum.

I found that shorter glue sticks have less of an issue, the 10cm ones don't drip at all, but the 30cm ones are terrible for some reason. Possibly worth cutting the longs ones up into three pieces and see how that goes

That's interesting - I'm pretty sure my 30cm sticks drip all the way down to the end thinking about it. I've just compared them with the 10cm sticks which came with the glue gun, and it looks like the shorter ones are very slightly thinner (both styles claim to be 11mm diameter). So I'm wondering if the thicker ones get jammed in the mechanism more so and therefore continue to apply pressure when the trigger is released...?

Maybe I skipped typing:
I took your advice cut the 30cm stick in three and put it in, over one hour it only have one tiny drop, so you suggestion works.

This is for my brand new glue gun, the diameter is bigger (10-11mm?). I also found out that the refill that I bought separately have tighter fit into the gun. At first I had to push the original stick all the way in, for the new one to get in, otherwise it stuck.

My old glue gun have smaller diameter. That one have glue all over, so I'll use it to smear glue, disconnect, anything without the glue stick on.

BTW, which glue is better white or yellow?

If you are using glue like a beast, I find it is best to replace them every 4-6 months. This makes a huge difference for me.

Harbor freight ones are nice, but they do wear out with heavy use.

I haven't really had a problem with this on my current glue gun. It maybe drips a couple drops while I'm using it. I wonder if it's because it's a low heat glue gun? I usually rest it on a scrap piece of foam to keep what it does drip off of the table.

Hi Master Dancin_Fool,

Most probably is. I tried to find a glue gun with heat control, rest placement, not couldn't found any. Most of the heat gun are the same basic, but different price range (I wonder what makes it pricey, brand?)

The reason I say you're right because my glue gun drip more and more while the gun getting hotter and hotter. I have to unplug it after about an hour, but keep working for about 30 minutes.

I made the rest placement from scrap since the beginning I used the gun, it changes from tip holder to a pool of glue, and later on just melted away (not to mention the fumes). I made the scrap every two or three days. That's why I so fed up with it.

All the hazzle just came from my old, small 10W gun!
My new one I just bought is 40W and I am planning to put an on/off switch, just since it is not dripping anymore, I'll probably hold on to it.

I definitely recommend a lower temperature glue gun if you can find it. THe other advantage is that you can smooth the glue out after you run it along by wiping it with your finger. I do that on every piece to keep it as clean as I can.

Yes Master,
Unfortunately, this pandawan couldn't find one....yet.
I used my superhero thumb :facepalm
Now I learned to keep small-sharp edges scraps with me handy, so my superhero thumb can rest easy (that should be on my tip for the day).

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back