Honest Dragon Doctor Who Coat

Pumpkiny made me a Tennant coat, but I screwed up the measurements and it was too short. So I commissioned him to make me ANOTHER! Can't speak highly enough of his work. Very expensive, but if you can in any was afford it, his version is the best I've seen, even better than Magnoli's, even better than Abbyshot's.

There are people who have done versions of the 8th Doctor's coat but I presume you mean a) a quality looking version b) still available/being offered and c) under a certain price range?

Yup. Yours is an amazing offering but the amount you spent to have it made would be something I can't justify until my lotto tickets pay off.

I may have one of my own coming by the summer months (just when it's too warm to wear it) so we'll see how that goes.

I'd like a Jack coat, but I somehow doubt Abbyshot/an officially licensed vendor is going to make it right. From what I've seen, that doesn't really happen.

I'd like a Jack coat, but I somehow doubt Abbyshot/an officially licensed vendor is going to make it right. From what I've seen, that doesn't really happen.

Seems odd though since the Jack coat is just a vintage RAF coat right? Cant this be found or modded from military/thrift stores or ebay? It's not that custom is it? I mean it might be I'm pretty clueless on Jack's wardrobe as I've never had a desire to own or wear it...but that was my understanding.

Also I agree that most licensed replicas never seem to be totally accurate- usually a good approximation for most fans and done so to bring it in under a certain price point so they can sell more quantity of items for a profit. Totally understandable but for those seeking something of better quality or higher accuracy they usually have to make it themselves or custom commission one. Certainly with costumes anyway.

As far as I know, Jack's coat is made from a standard RAF great coat pattern, but it's a completely different material, and coat vendors sure do love to make stuff out of wool.

There were two Harkness coats, wern't there? There's the one in "The Empty Child" where Jack is disguised as an airman. It's heavier, bulkier, a darker blue wool (the one Barrowman was allergic to). This one you can get with relative ease on the bay on in army surplius shops. From then on in, and in Torchwood, you get the custom coat, more designer, longer, swooshier. This to my eye is a custom made to 'evoke' the RAF coat. could be totally wrong about that. But it's not an item you can buy off the shelf.

There are some close-enoughs, for instance, the swedish airforce jacket I have looks great but is waaay to short to pass for Jack Harkness.

Indy Magnoli of course could do a replica but because of the materials I know the cost would be at the top end of the hundreds.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there were several versions of the coat, depending on the requirements of the scene. My point was, Jacks Torchwood coat seems to to be more of a 'designer' item than a functional, mass produced military coat, which is why a reasonably priced good replica of the coat would be awesome.

coat-still-2.jpg

coat-still-1.jpg

Hey Steve. Awesome coat and suit! Hats off to you! I've followed your blog on the suit and it has really helped when I was modifying suit number 2. So a huge thanks!
Has any one else every mentioned you look a lot like Daniel Craig. Maybe you a tux next?

Chris

That is one awesome looking coat I hope to tackle this puppy one of these days......fantastic job!

Shylaah

I have done a LOT of research into the coat, and can honestly say the Honest Dragon coat is one of the worst replicas out there.

Take a look at my comparisons here:
Coat Comparisons

I was not happy with any of the coats available, so made my own.

You can see the finished result here:
My Tennant Coat

Let me know what you think.

>>>clipped pics<<<<

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back