Historically Accurate Sword of Gryffindor (Harry Potter Series)

Whoooff. Easy, there. I didn't offer those up because they were "someone's assumption". I can run that Viking sword back to the period I cited, and the sword honoring King Solomon is a reconstruction based on surviving fragments and references that date to the Crusader Kingdoms in Jersualem -- basically a 12th-century version of a mall-ninja sword... meant to be a decorative/display piece, rather than a functional combat sword. It still would've been made by a swordsmith, though, and its furniture embellished versions of existing practice.

"Reproduction" doesn't mean "wild uneducated speculation". I myself have a reproduction that is a faithful duplicate of an original dating to c.1600 in the military museum in Prague. Not something guessed at by a fantasy novel cover artist.

Who made that Viking sword? The grip looks completely wrong is why I said it's what someone thinks a sword should look like as the grip looks like someone made a Viking sword and didn't know how to hold one.

The Solomon sword, I want to see the original, I know they made super ornate swords, but the blade isn't anything that would have been historically accurate, even if it were etched. That sword would handle like a crowbar.

I've seen a lot of Viking and Anglo Saxon swords of the period. Some simple, some ornate, some with actual damascus steel blades (since they sailed all the way up the Danube and traded in Eastern Europe and the Near East), some crude and primitive, some way more advanced than we gave them credit for... That one you linked there is also a nice one, as was Buckethead's original inspiration. I just went on a different tangent, feeling Godric would tend toward something that looked a bit later period, due to skill level and personal style -- something that would lend itself more to a style described as "duellist", rather than "war sword". The motions are very different. Even by the 13th century, martingales had been added because of the need to protect fingers commonly hooked over the quillons for leverage, which is what evolved into the rapier.

My tangent is along the lines of why the Ninja-to never existed, it would not pay to advertise anything about yourself if you were trying to avoid conflict. The Rubies would have been glaring advertisements though, so, ehh, fantasy series. They say it's made from pure silver, ain't nobody dueling with a pure silver blade.

It would also favor a more Germanic duelling stance, which is not dissimilar from the magical duelling stance, and one that traditional Viking/Anglo-Saxon guards would be more uncomfortable for. A stance that would allow one to stand their ground and adroitly deflect some 9th-century Muggle who came running at you with a seax.

I present to you Matt Easton, Matt is quite possibly one of the greatest duelists in the world.

Remember, the Vikings fought with these swords all the time and probably had to fight one on one.

You oddly hold a Viking/ Anglo Saxon Sword exactly like a wand.

Last edited:
Remember, the Vikings fought with these swords all the time and probably had to fight one on one.
If you have a different vision of what the sword WOULD look like, then why don't you start your own post and build thread? This bickering is annoying. Same goes for the others for whom this is not their thread. This is called HIGHJACKING someone else's build thread.

If you have a different vision of what the sword WOULD look like, then why don't you start your own post and build thread? This bickering is annoying. Same goes for the others for whom this is not their thread. This is called HIGHJACKING someone else's build thread.
Apologies, I was actually trying to support your design and trying to give historical and realistic context for it.

Last edited:
I have never been happy with the design of the Sword of Gryffindor in the Harry Potter movies. I'm a massive fan of the series, but also have a great interest in swords, and it got me thinking; what would the sword look like if it was actually (mostly) period correct.

Godric Gryffindor was a wizard born in the 10th century, so his sword should be of that period, an Anglo Saxon or Viking sword...

-rubies set in the handle, up to 'egg' size...

My mind immediately went to the Sutton Hoo sword, perhaps the finest Anglo Saxon sword.

Red stones set in the pommel.

But I don't think the rubies could possibly be "egg size" and keep the look of that period.

The style of the time was intricate detail and inset stones, not stones stuck on the surface.

TszXj9G.jpg

Last edited:
Apologies, I was actually trying to support your design and trying to give historical and realistic context for it.

It's okay to help, but where that starts turning into endless arguing about what is right, then it becomes less useful.
When it's with someone else's thread, you present your evidence, others can present their evidence, and then the owner of the thread can choose which they like best. Sometimes, 100% either isn't practical or desirable. Swords of that period were all HAND made, and then some. Which means somewhere in reality there could be variations that simply didn't survive to the present. One guy in all of England could have said to his blacksmith, "I don't like short hilts, make me a longer one." and maybe that existed, but was lost. I forget who said it had to be a short hilt, I'm just using that as an example.
How to tell if you're justified in going into such details so earnestly, is if the owner of the thread is engaging you in conversation. If he/she isn't, then it's probably not helping them.
This is my short rant, :) on etiquette. I'm done.

You can always just say, "we can continue this conversation here" and then provide a link to a thread that you've created.

Last edited:
Swords of that period were all HAND made, and then some. Which means somewhere in reality there could be variations that simply didn't survive to the present. One guy in all of England could have said to his blacksmith, "I don't like short hilts, make me a longer one." and maybe that existed, but was lost. I forget who said it had to be a short hilt, I'm just using that as an example.

That was me, and I forgot that an old acquaintance of mine that polished Japanese swords used to say "nothing new under the sun." If one had a sword custom made back then, yes, it would be whatever they ordered (you had to be rich$$$$$) but that gets into a completely different discussion on most weapons being kept or loaned out from armories and how things were *kinda* all produced the same by the same people that we don't need to get into here.

My comment on the hilt (not yours) being too long was because the particular sword that was shown is used as a typical example of not what you'd get, and probably doesn't handle great.

Your sword is great, and I think your design is pretty spot on for what would have been done.

There could be variations that simply didn't survive to the present...maybe it existed but was lost.
Off-topic, and nothing to do with swords, but yes that conjures up the maxim

Absence of evidence does not constitute evidence of absence.

I've heard the flip side used in history circles, the "space aliens" argument:

"There's the same amount of evidence of __________ in that time-period as there is of space aliens being there."

A silly bit of reductio ad absurdum but it makes the point.

"Historically accurate" is specifically mentioned in the thread title.

Last edited:
Off-topic, and nothing to do with swords, but yes that conjures up the maxim

Absence of evidence does not constitute evidence of absence.

Or the flip side that I've heard in history circles, the "space aliens" argument:

"There's the same amount of evidence of __________ in that time-period as there is of space aliens being there."

A silly bit of reductio ad absurdum but it makes the point.

I watch Josh Gates in his TV show, Expedition Unknown.
A two part episode delt with Egypt. Archeologists found a mummy in a sarcophagus and thought it was not the right mummy because it used RESIN in the mummification, and resin wasn't known to have been used until 1000 years after the person was supposed to be in the tomb.

But after Josh Gates did his investigation, the Egyptian expert he was working with concluded that this WAS indeed the correct mummy.

He said that this changed all that they knew about mummification, because that means resin was used a thousand years earlier than previously believed.

All that we know can be changed in an instant. Even those things set in stone, and not unchallengeable.

Who knows, though? It wasn't uncommon to see people who travelled using the wrong sword for the era.

I regret starting the thought at the moment

Who knows, though? It wasn't uncommon to see people who travelled using the wrong sword for the era.

I regret starting the thought at the moment

It's really okay. Life is a learning experience. And by my being extroverted on this, makes it awkward itself. A polite conversation is something like, "I am presenting some alternate evidence." And you (meaning any RPF-er) should avoid saying, "You're wrong" whenever possible. Saying this is an open invitation to fight.

An update for y'all

If you wanna watch something about this build, I have a Part 1 video over on YouTube

In any case, I also did a render up of my final plan for the sword.

View attachment 1501685

I also have the blades in hand! They came out beautifully.

View attachment 1501686

I'm currently working on the guard and handle pieces, getting them all fitting nicely. More to follow!
How can we find the video? What is the name of your channel?

An update for y'all

If you wanna watch something about this build, I have a Part 1 video over on YouTube

In any case, I also did a render up of my final plan for the sword.

View attachment 1501685

I also have the blades in hand! They came out beautifully.

View attachment 1501686

I'm currently working on the guard and handle pieces, getting them all fitting nicely. More to follow!
How do we check out the video? I’d like to see how you made this piece! Looks great!

Hi there, I now currently work for Warner Bros Discovery, and as such have had to remove any related content from my social channels. Thank you for the interest, still have other build videos over on my channel, YouTube - Buckethead Studios
Check your NDA, that sounds very sus, you should contact your Union Representative and get clarification. I have never been told to remove a single thing by Warner Brothers Discovery and they have little grounds to tell you to kill a thing that you aren't making money on. They could confiscate it, but it's not worth their time.

Thank you everyone for your interest in the project, I'm back on it! You can now view Part 1 again on YouTube!

Also, surprise! there is now a Part 2, which you can find here

Pretty happy with how it's going so far, but still a long way to go. Some issues to sort out, such as how to pewter cast the handle pieces whilst maintaining the tang slot, and also how to accurately drill the guard pieces to allow the gems to be set (when I don't have a mill, or even a drill press)

Thank you everyone for your interest in the project, I'm back on it! You can now view Part 1 again on YouTube!

Also, surprise! there is now a Part 2, which you can find here

Pretty happy with how it's going so far, but still a long way to go. Some issues to sort out, such as how to pewter cast the handle pieces whilst maintaining the tang slot, and also how to accurately drill the guard pieces to allow the gems to be set (when I don't have a mill, or even a drill press)
I would, at least, consider making the handle traditionally.. from wood. It might be easier in the long run.
But, no matter how you do it, I'm looking forward to seeing this completed.

I would, at least, consider making the handle traditionally.. from wood. It might be easier in the long run.
But, no matter how you do it, I'm looking forward to seeing this completed.
Hopefully I'll get it figured out, absolutely could make from wood for accuracy, but also love the idea of it all being 'silver'/metal. I will be looking into plating options for the whole thing, so it all ends up shiny and polished.

Similarly, it's just as viable to paint the 3d printed handles with something like moltow liquid chrome for an easier effect

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back