HeroQuest board game (1989)

WOW! I loved Hero Quest! I played that game all the time with my family and friends. It is definitely a good intro to role playing. It's not nearly as complicated or open ended. Basically the quest master picks a quest from the book which has a map of the area (each use only a small or medium portion of the board) and as the player you can't "see" anything until you round the corner or enter a room. There's traps, artifacts to collect, goblins and orcs, etc. and you basically just fight them using the dice and your character card for points. You can make decisions like try to jump over the trap or spring it, but other than that, it's really just moving around and fighting baddies.
Lots of memories. I'd like to find it again to play with my son.

- - - Updated - - -

Yikes! there's one on Amazon for over $400!

I wonder if anyone made a 3D version where the rooms are covered until you enter them. That way all the pieces are laid out prior by the game master and you can hide different relics and items in them to be discovered by the players.

That would be pretty sweet.

I bought that game a few years ago at a huge games convention because of the neat little figures. Never played it, though, but I, too, prefer seeing the environment and figures and everything in a game. As Sheldon Cooper once said "the most powerful graphics chip in the world: the mind".

I also bought a game called "Tannhäuser" Tannhäuser (board game) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , didn´t have time and interested friends to play this one yet. I guess it will be a few years from now until I´ll be able to play this game, i.e. wait till my now 18 months old is around ten-ish ... if his generation is still interested in board games ... I mean, if WE we prefer to see environments and characters, then the kids today will complain about not being to see the environments and characters move, and where´s the blood and sploshiuns?! What? Imagined violence?! Forget it ...

I bought that game a few years ago at a huge games convention because of the neat little figures. Never played it, though, but I, too, prefer seeing the environment and figures and everything in a game. As Sheldon Cooper once said "the most powerful graphics chip in the world: the mind".

I also bought a game called "Tannhäuser" Tannhäuser (board game) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , didn´t have time and interested friends to play this one yet. I guess it will be a few years from now until I´ll be able to play this game, i.e. wait till my now 18 months old is around ten-ish ... if his generation is still interested in board games ... I mean, if WE we prefer to see environments and characters, then the kids today will complain about not being to see the environments and characters move, and where´s the blood and sploshiuns?! What? Imagined violence?! Forget it ...

All I can think about is the Wild Gunman scene from BTTF2.

"You mean you have to use your hands? That's like a baby's toy!"

Exactly. I have a great imagination, but I prefer to see everything going on.
HeroQuest is a blast! :D My older brothers intoduced me to RPGs with it when I was about 10, within a year I had moved to AD&D with the "Big Kids". ;):lol

FYI: D&D can be played with a "board", a roll-up "battle-mat" with a grid printed at the same scale as the 1" figures serves as a battle ground, water based markers can be used to create the enviroment of the moment. My gaming group started playing that way in the late 80's, cutomizing figures to represent specific characters. After 2000 we moved on to Dungeon tiles on a 4x8 sheet of plywood, with an auxilary scene on a 4x4 sheet next to it. The GM would cover the entire play area with pieces of cardboard and uncover each section as it was explored.

I like how some people have made 'modular' maps so the rooms can be changed up every session, but I think I need to play it first before I start planning anything like that.

Don't suppose anyone in the UK has a copy of Heroquest or Space Crusade they'd part with?

I used to have both, but they vanished over the years - I still have a couple of miniatures, with awful paintjobs that I loved at the time!

The nearest groups to play RPGs around here are 80 miles away. Most of the college groups aren't taking any and a lot of groups have broke up sadly. I tried to get a shadowrun group going before. I remember Heroquest hit then they had that warhammer set out didn't they?

My buddy bought this game when it came out. We're both huge D&D fans so we tried this out. It's fun, not as involved as D&D but you do "level up" your characters. If you're looking for a D&D style game with out a huge commitment then you're in luck. I know it came with some pre made scenarios and if you do some google searching you may find more...

Sent from somewhere in time & space...

As far as I know, Warhammer came out after the company split. I have no idea what Warhammer is other than a spacey type RPG? Idk.

I just remember the old premade warhammer set before it suddenly became huge and what it is now. It had little plastic marines lol

Yeah the little figures with the bases that turned? I found some at school once (someone must have left them) and kept them for years. I had no idea what they were until my buddy saw them in my room. I ended up giving them to him.

I cannot wait to play this. I downloaded the game 'Mighty Dungeons' for android. The maker based it on HeroQuest and it's been fun so far.

you'll be fine, you only have to set up the first room with the stair case. Everything else becomes visible as they move or enter other rooms.

you'll be fine, you only have to set up the first room with the stair case. Everything else becomes visible as they move or enter other rooms.

Which I think is an awesome way to play it. Next best thing I suppose. If I like it that much I may do a 3d version. I've seem some that look awesome, but are made of foam and I don't think they will last through the ages as much as resin will. Also storage may be a problem lol.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back