help with.wiring needed. battlestar build

That's up to you. It's OK to wire LEDs of different voltages in series, as long as they all want the same current.

I would need to know more than this. Can you provide a link to a full description of this product? I've seen blinking LEDs (not random flickering) that you could put one blinking LED in series with several regular LEDs as long as you didn't exceed a certain supply voltage, and they would all blink at the same time. If your flickering LEDs are like this, it might not be good to put them in series. Also, do you want the boosters to all flicker in synch, or do you want them to be independent?

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G20185

oh damn u can make them flicker in sync??? wow. i'd like to know how if possible. but independently should be fine also.. just want them to work.

Hmm, Goldmine doesn't give the full LED specs, and Google isn't bringing me anything either. The closest thing I could find was a blinking (not flickering) blue LED which gave a maximum supply voltage of 10 volts. If you have some plain blue LEDs of about the same brightness as your flickering LEDs (perhaps about 3000 mcd?), you might try one flicker and one plain LED in series with each other and a 510 ohm resistor on your 12 volt supply. If that works and doesn't burn out, just make up 4 of those sets so you can have 4 series-pairs in parallel and each pair will flicker in sync (but the pairs will be independent of each other).

Evil Mad Scientist - flickering LEDs in series

It should be possible to make one flickering LED control 8 plain LEDs so that they all flicker in sync, but the circuit will be a bit more complicated, needing a transistor in voltage-follower configuration.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I did make a mistake, the led strips are as stated 12v resisted, but the amps are correct. So yes use a 12v supply with a least a 2 amp output and then use the simplified diagram above thank You for providing it :)

This though is what I was trying to avoid!!! rethinking and redoing from a simple set up to we can do this and that.....
Keep it simple but to the point of what you want it to look like,, which you were happy with the original design but it wouldn't work.
Simple keeps diagnosis and revision/repair much easier.
Just the way to make it easier on yourself as you yourself stated you have limited knowledge with this stuff hence your thread.
Be Well and ALOHA :cool

Last edited:
Here are a few pics of how i had it wired. IMG_9621.jpgIMG_8024.jpg

That's so confusing, I can see why you are having problems, so many wires. As I stated before try and make it simpler.

Eww, all that tape... get some heat-shrink tubing! Wait, IS that heat-shrink tubing? It looks like some of it (most of it) isn't fully shrunk, or was too big to start with. Some sections look way too long also. However, you probably don't want to rip out all the wiring and start over yet again. Heat and plastic fiber optics (and polystyrene model kit parts) don't go together very well. Electrical tape isn't really meant to be used on such small wires and in such tight spaces either. I guess as long as you're careful that the bare splices can't touch each other it should hold up OK.

You learn a lot from a project -- including how you'll do it different next time.

Stuff like these LEDs, helps to get anal about organization. Label everything (I have a roll of ribbon cable I've been stripping down to individual colored wires for years). Bundle everything --- working in a hierarchy, ladder or tree or like that; basically, physically mimicking the electrical arrangement. Make it look like the wire harness in a car or fighter plane. Inevitably, there will be a bad connection somewhere, and these methods make it slightly easier to track down where the problem is and fix it without killing everything else.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back