Help me decide on an Indy fedora!

to my noob untrained eye, I have always liked the hat at disneyland in adventure land, it's like 50 bucks - anyone know who makes it? but it seems like a pretty legit hat.

what about good links to hi res screen shots of the actual hat?

That hat at disneyland is about as WRONG as a hat can be. The bash is completely incorrect, it is made out of the wrong material, and the ribbon is incorrect, and that is just the start.

I believe the hat at Disney is made by Dorfman Pacific, who has the license for the official hat. They have since crapped all over that license by making this hat. It is flat out wrong, and laughed at by most people who have Indy gear.

That said, there is a small handful of people who have them and like them, but even those people will admit how wrong those hats are.

I keep reading how wrong some of the hats are - can some wise master jedi tell me what makes wrong - wrong and what makes right right?

I am going to be Indy one day and I am starting to gather my info now.....

and forgive again but what is bashing?

Mojo, a bash is essentially what give the fedora its shape. Originally, the crown comes open, and when you pinch the top and front, the fedora gets that pinched look.

Here is a thread that explains how a hat would be "basehd".

http://www.hatsdirect.com/hat-info/shaping.html

If you want to do an Indy correctly, I highly recommending sigingin up at www.indygear.com/cow. You can't find more accurate info. We've made all the mistakes and gone down the wrong roads and can tell you exactly what gear to avoid (the first is that Disney "Indy hat").

I'll add this to help you (believe me, you aren't the first to be confused about this).

Here is a pic of the hat they are calling the official Indy Fedora.

900024_press01-001.jpg

And here is a pic of what Indy's hat should look like at the very least:

fed-4.jpg

Notice the top (crown) of the Dorfman hat, how it has a round shape to it involving a very complicated creasing that allows it to fit right to the head. This is wrong. The had should have one fold across the top from front to back, and no other shape, like this:

DSC_0005.jpg

Second, look at the ribbon color. Doesn't it look purple on the Dorfman? Did Indy's ribbon look purple?

Finally, this hat is hard as a rock. It is made out of mostly wool, which you can't bend without damaging. It is just not the same hat. Indy's hat is all felt. Even if you think of going for the more expensive Dorfman full felt, read above because apart from the material, all other complaints still apply.

Since I first started this thread, I have pretty much got the whole set of gear - waiting on getting the whip and weapons belt now, but here is everything I have:
Hat: Adventurebilt 'Henry'
Shirt: Adventurebilt
Bag Strap: Wade Egan Deluxe Streets of Cairo
Bag: Original MKVII
Web Belt: Todd's
Pants: LL Bean
Jacket: Todd's
Boots: Todd's
DSC_0442.jpg

DSC_0444.jpg

DSC_0286.jpg

DSC_0456.jpg

Demon,

You'll probably get great answers here, but just as an alternative, for all questions about Indy gear, you will find it all and more at www.indygear.com/cow. The Club Obi Wan forum is a great place to get more information than you could ever want about all the available Indy products.

Just a tip.

However, to directly answer your question..The deluxe is made from a higher grade felt, the sweat band is made from higher quality leather that is softer than the other and hold up better. Furthermore, the deluxe felt goes through a more refined finishing processess that makes it have a much smoother finish.

yea I actually signed up over there awhile ago but can't remember my login or which email I used for the life of me, I think I had problems signing up before to :wacko. But will certainly give it another look though.

Thx for answering my question though :)

GenFrosty Looking FANTASTIC. I love the look of the AB fedora but thats WAAYYY more then I wanna spend. I can always dream though, I think I'll be happy with an Akubra though. Will be better then the disney one I got awhile ago and sold off not that long ago :angel

From what I have seen and heard, you can't go wrong with an Akubra.
There is a guy who did a video review of the Akubra hat on Youtube you should check out.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back