Hellboy Prop: Broom's Box. Need info.

i found these pics online i dont know if they are of a movie used box or a fan made replica.

Hellboy2-1.jpgHellboy3-1.jpgHellboy4-1.jpgHellboy5-1.jpgHellboy6-1.jpgHellboy7-1.jpgHellboy8.jpg

I am now remaking the lid, It was the first part of the box that i made and i feel that the box joints don't fit together as good as the later ones that i made.

I just want to thank everyone who contributed to the thread. I'm getting ready to start making my own box and the information has been invaluable. Especially Contec's flat plans and the hand drawn plans earlier in the thread with measurements.

My only question is what type of wood to make it from. I read Adam Savage's post about using oak but that may be out of my price range however I have a surplus of both pine and ash from previous projects, the only issue is I don't know anything about staining or distressing wood. Does anyone know a good resources for staining, distressing or antiquing? I really appreciate it.

I just want to thank everyone who contributed to the thread. I'm getting ready to start making my own box and the information has been invaluable. Especially Contec's flat plans and the hand drawn plans earlier in the thread with measurements.

My only question is what type of wood to make it from. I read Adam Savage's post about using oak but that may be out of my price range however I have a surplus of both pine and ash from previous projects, the only issue is I don't know anything about staining or distressing wood. Does anyone know a good resources for staining, distressing or antiquing? I really appreciate it.

I'm going to age mine with vinegar and steel wool,and tea.
Craftaholics Anonymous® | How to Age Wood Tutorial
Been using it before and it works great.
It does not matter what wood you use because all the aging will make it look good. Before aging mine with tea, i am going to make all the damage like scratches, wormholes and such. It will make the plywood less visible.

I mentioned this an another thread

In several crafting communities that use exotic wood it's the dirty little secret that pallets are made from local wood. So large items from places like Malaysia, Thailand or China can arrive on pallets made of materials common over there but rare here. Pallets also make use of sizable unbroken pieces of scrap wood so finding pieces of furniture grade quarter sawn oak or cherry aren't uncommon.

I would check behind furniture stores and especially places that sell Amish made furniture for a chance at finding some nice smaller pieces of oak that were used in the construction of pallets. Here is also some great cheap/free sources of wood you could try to get some nice oak from.

It looks like Old English Text MT in italics, I blew it up my computer and compared it with the box earlier that was the original and it looks pretty close just a little more weathered. Not sure if that helps much.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back