Harry Potter Quidditch Broom (Hardware Build)

How did you get the gold Nimbus 2001 lettering on there? It looks great.

Just finished mine up, the DIY made it extremely easy to build. All I have left is to hang it!

IMAG0233.jpg

wow, i am definately inspired to try this build.

It really is not that hard to do, probably the worst part was waiting for the stain to dry. Took about 3 days here in Florida with our horrible humidity. Once that was done assembly only took about 30 mins. I ended up not using JB weld for the foot rests since it will only be hung from the ceiling. Everyone who has seen it absolutely loves it.

Major :thumbsup to the OP.

you have inspired me to try to build an acurite replica of the nimbus 2000. and i thank you for it. so far it is just a wooden handle but i hope to have it completed soon

Here's some pics and step by step.
PhotoGrid_1379796100197.jpg
1. supplies
2. couldn't find bear grass from HL. This was most expensive part! Ended up using 3 of the grass packets for ~$8 each :(
"Floral - dried Mix brown", $8.99 - throw out the "mix" part, "Floral-maton grass brown", $5.99 - this was cheaper and just grass so this was a better buy, but they only had one at the store.
Grass had wheat seeds on it - so snipped off those parts.
3. metallic gold and antique brass metallic spray paint from HD.
4. & 5. 5" ball and 3" cone from HL. Hollowed out cone a bit.
6. Spray painted foam in case it shows through grass (it did).
7. Spray painted pipe hardware gold.
8. Spray painted bailing wire gold. (Originally had some copper wire in 1.supplies picture, but used bailing wire instead)
9. Sand axe handle.

Last edited:
PhotoGrid_1379796690366.jpg
1. (I should have stained at this point, but didn't have any and was too eager to start). Insert rod into axe handle.
2. Insert grass.
3. clamp down. (2 clamps were used as the original idea was to base on a firebolt which has 2. http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090503214658/harrypotter/images/7/74/Firebolt.jpg)
4. Insert ball and cone. Didn't end up exactly centered, but that adds some character to the final aerodynamic shape ;)
Sniped off end of 2' rod with a dremmel.
5. Used twine to tie of grass ends. Chopped off grass tops with kitchen knife. Rubbed in red mahogany stain. Used spray glue and flattened down with can (great tip from trooper).
The grass was fairly light colored so I sprayed it lightly with the antique brass metallic to darken it up a bit.

Last edited:
PhotoGrid_1379796767228.jpgView attachment 234630
1. Replaced twine with gold bailing wire. (Not the prettiest wrap job).
2. Previous side, grass was ok - but this side, the foam showed through. I'm glad I painted it. Be sure to try to get enough grass on the narrow top/bottom parts of axe handle. I think I had a lot of short stalks too. Investigate better grass source.
3. Tried various printing out and gluing on of logos - but none worked well. Gold print out did not show up on dark handle. Ended up drawing freehand with a gold sharpie. Broom request started out for a firebolt, but since it didn't really look like a firebolt, I talked the boy into making and naming his own. He chose the Phoenix 4000. (Bonus points to the first to identify where the logo was stolen from).
4. Final product (well mostly. just need to add polyurethane on the handle)

We chose not to put the foot rests on as he will be using this for halloween and I was afraid they would just get in the way.

I didn't do anything original here - I stood on the shoulders of giants. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread!

Last edited:
This is probably bumping the thread a bit, sorry if so just found it. These are all amazing! My husband and I are currently trying to get pregnant; he and I both love the Harry Potter books as well as the movies. I'm hoping to do a Harry Potter themed nursery, I have lots of ideas that I hope to do (and make majority of it!). One of which includes a broom but I want to do the curtain rods as brooms. Thinking maybe I'll just add the foam cones and balls to the ends of each of the curtain rods then doing the bristles over that. What do you guys think? I also have some other idea's for the room but didn't know where to post those haha.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back