Harry Potter - Golden Snitch - DH version, Opening snitch modelling

Oh! I know Solidworks :) It's really good industry modelling program! Actually Maya and 3ds Max are the best 3D animation softwares :D
Where had you print it?

I exported my model to Shapeways for test printing.

UPDATE! the order finished printing, and shipping started, I should probably have the first prototype in my hand in a week.

On a few of my models I've had resolution problems with the prints, mainly because the details were very small, but I'm hopeful for this one as all the small features are >1mm except maybe the letters, I can see that possibly not turning out as good, but I really hope it does work.

So, my print arrived today, I am quite pleased with it, the text is a bit filled in though and I'm just not sure if it's ready yet. I need to test the ring's fit as well. I will make a video shortly to show it off. In the meantime, I had some fun with shapeways renders today, and here's what the parts look like in:

Polished Gold Steel
Render%20-%20Gold%20Steel_zpshf3cqgyv.jpg

Polished Brass
Render%20-%20Brass_zpszhtgwqbz.jpg

The renders look really good! What does Shapeways price it at in its current form? I'd love to get the polished brass version.

Lookin' pretty smick in the renders.
Keen to see the printed version put together and possibly add it to my growingly ridiculous collection of Snitches!

That doesn't sound outrageous for what it is.

Good to know, thanks.

Ok, here we go, what you've been waiting for, here is a video look at my first printed snitch:

http://youtu.be/48uTOpfA2nY

And here are a few pictures I took with my camera:

20150305_203052_zpshbwjwxcp.jpg

20150305_203106_zpsuuxghcer.jpg

20150305_203122_zpscjntwtyu.jpg

20150305_203141_zpsrmaiks1a.jpg

20150305_203156_zpskyezpitm.jpg

20150305_203220_zpsrp3ykp8q.jpg

20150305_203258_zpst0sj5ijq.jpg

20150305_203313_zpstwasuqor.jpg

20150305_203324_zpsybaw89dq.jpg

20150305_203353_zpsylvlzwdn.jpg

First the Positives:
- I think as a first attempt and print it turned out great, and it's quite awesome that it was able to be produced.
- I love the fit, I love the rotation, the tolerances on that were great, and I don't have plans to change it.

Areas to consider:
- Gap through the top
- Ring doesn't fit properly
- Locking mechanism did not work (redesign)
- "I open at the close" lettering

I need as much feedback as I can, let me know please.

I realize this idea is a little late to the party, but I'm thinking that the axis of rotation shouldn't be centered on the sphere, if you move the rotation axis downward, it would allow the shell to offset itself around the other shell without them needing to have different diameters. I think that would allow you to have tighter seams and less blunt edges.

Like I said, I wish I'd thought of it sooner cuz I know it's a lot of work to change.

Don't get me wrong. It looks great! and I know how much work it has been.
I always hate when guys (like me in this case) come along after the fact and say "Hey there's a better way to do that".

I realize this idea is a little late to the party, but I'm thinking that the axis of rotation shouldn't be centered on the sphere, if you move the rotation axis downward, it would allow the shell to offset itself around the other shell without them needing to have different diameters. I think that would allow you to have tighter seams and less blunt edges.

Like I said, I wish I'd thought of it sooner cuz I know it's a lot of work to change.

I had thought of this, I actually shifted the axis of rotation back I think about 4 mm so that it was not in the center of the sphere. but even with doing this, the outer shell still needs to been 2 mm thicker than the inner to allow the piece to fit in. This is why there is only an overhang at the front of the sphere and not at the back of the sphere.

I'll take a couple profile pics to show you what I mean this evening.

Last edited:
Got it! I'm glad you already thought of it. I didn't want to be the arm-chair critic.

I lost much sleep racking my brain trying to find a solution, and in the end I had to compromise, I'm not totally satisfied with the solution but it was a big improvement from the shells I first had where there was a drastic difference in the size, like this one:

AssemblyV2_zps5c220cfa.jpg

After redesigning, it looked like this:

Assembly%20V3_zps3toyuovh.jpg

Much smoother and the back profile is curved when closed.

You're doing really great for the print being a first version. It's getting there real quick, and it seems you're on the right track. The revision is looking quite nice; the shape looks really great, and the function just makes it all the much cooler. Compromises are just a necessity sometimes!

Do people really want it to accomidate the ring? Or should I not waste my time on that? I'm thinking I'll be able to make something to hold the ring for display, but not latch it in there as I was trying to do.

I think that a dab of museum wax would hold the ring in well enough. Engineering a snap fit is a lot of work and would likely wear out over time anyway.

You are doing a bang-up job on this!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back