Han Solo in Carbonite: A novice build

I am so unbelievably glad to hear you say this. I have been deliberating for weeks of "customizing" my panels with a little personal touch. The idea of not going screen accurate is not for everyone, but I truly love the creative process of adding/changing/etc. Love that there are more out there doing it.

Your build is coming along amazingly. Just LOVE IT!!!!!

Thank you so much! I added a few more small knobs to 2 of the other panels. As I mentioned before, I had a few old WWII radio parts from another project and there are some very cool knurled battery terminal posts that I love. I haven't made huge changes or additions, but just a couple of minor things that I feel adds to the overall look.

OOHHH! Pretty! Well done. Your build has moved past mine now...I still need to install panels..

I also love how everyones back of their HIC looks like crap...just like mine. LOL!

OOHHH! Pretty! Well done. Your build has moved past mine now...I still need to install panels..

I also love how everyones back of their HIC looks like crap...just like mine. LOL!

I've been looking at the front of my HIC for so long now, I completely forgot what the back looked when I flipped it. Yeesh! I thought about adding a solid backing to it but I don't see the point. No one will ever see it.

Absolutely fabulous ... well done ... I'll take of my grand-father's vintage fedora :)

Chaim

Thank you! I've had so much fun building this thing that I don't know what I'll do with myself when it's complete. It's basically done, I just have to hang it. I'm in negotiations with my wife now about where it will go on the wall.

Me either but we don't have bugs in our house and the dust...well, that's a given.

I live in Arizona so we have an exterminator on standby because of scorpions and black widows. We haven't had a bug in years.

(Mainly because the scorpions and black widows eat all the others)

Mainly spiders here including black widows.
Last few months thanks to the house behind me being infested I've been getting an assortment of cockroaches so I have the house sprayed every other month.
Still find them in the sticky traps.

You could go with thin plastic for the back.
Some places sell 4'x8' sheets pretty cheap or you could just tack on some heavy grade plastic drop cloth stapled around the edges.

Mainly spiders here including black widows.
Last few months thanks to the house behind me being infested I've been getting an assortment of cockroaches so I have the house sprayed every other month.
Still find them in the sticky traps.

I hate anything with more legs than me and can run faster than I can. And can kill me. That too.

Bondo is super easy to work with. It is a trial and error type of product. The more hardener you mix in, the quicker it sets. If you want a longer work time, just put a small amount of hardener in. Also, I was turned on to a better product called Evercoat. It's a superior type of product than bondo.
Hey, just a Bondo note-on your mixing surface(I have a sheet of plywood with a few coats of latex based paint, you can clean the surface by peeling the paint off!), draw two lines, side by side, one and a quarter inch apart. That will be a marker for your hardener. Then, just add a golf ball sized blob of Bondo and mix.

Hey, just a Bondo note-on your mixing surface(I have a sheet of plywood with a few coats of latex based paint, you can clean the surface by peeling the paint off!), draw two lines, side by side, one and a quarter inch apart. That will be a marker for your hardener. Then, just add a golf ball sized blob of Bondo and mix.

That's a good idea. I actually stuck packing tape to a small piece of wood and mixed the Bondo on top of that. When I was done, I peeled the packing tape off and it was ready for another round.

That's a good idea. I actually stuck packing tape to a small piece of wood and mixed the Bondo on top of that. When I was done, I peeled the packing tape off and it was ready for another round.

I just use scraps of cardboard and wood laying around. When I am done, I throw it away or burn it!

Here are a couple of photos of the non-canon additions I made to my panels. I had a few spare parts from a WWII EE-8 field radio that I used for my Sidkit Blade Runner Blaster. I needed a battery terminal for use on that gun and I had several left over. They have a neat knurled texture and I thought they'd look interesting here.

20150421_022958000_iOS.jpg

Here's one with an extra knurled screw that I liked:

20150421_022900000_iOS.jpg

Finally, here is the hero panel with one knob from the Zenix kit and the other is a chrome Fender guitar knob. The Fender knob is larger than it should be but I like the heft it provides. Also, it's very shiny. I may add a bit of weathering to it to knock it down a notch. It's the one that operates the electronics for the panel.

20150421_023034000_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back