HALO 1:1 assault rifle

This topic has a size comparison for all of the Halo weapons. I'm not sure where the chart originated from, I think its from Bungie's website, but thats where I've been basing my measurements from.

http://www.therpf.com/index.php?showtopic=115408&st=40

The Assualt Rifle is listed at 87.6 cm. This would'nt necessarily dwarf the average marine, though. The FN Fal was in use by the British military from the 50's through the mid 90's and it clocked in a length of 110 cm, or just a few inches shy of 4 feet. Of course, it was chambering 7.62, not the 5.56 the Assualt Rifle is supposedly using, so the AR's length is not too unweildly. But you have to wonder what the designer was thinking, making the front end that large just to house an ammo counter and a flashlight. The foregrip is large enough for a grenade launcher, so why not just install one. Of course, repelling borders in space might be its primary mission, where you don't need a grenade launcher, but I highly doubt you would want a three foot long, fully automatic weapon throwing high velocity slugs through your hull either :p
Still kewl looking though.

Brian

Is the scope/targeting integrated through the helmet? This would explain the lack of a shoulder stock, though looking at it I think it's safe to assume provisions for an extendable stock are there they just arent used.

M

Matt, in the game, the Assault rifle has no scope or integrated zooming system.

The assault rifle was used for the same purpose as its name, Assault. In the game, it was powerful, mainly towards the Scorpion(tank) and the Warthog(hummer-esque vehicle) esueing the most damage to those vehicles.

As to the Battle rifle from 2, it had a mounted Scope, resembling the m68 CCO, and 3 round burst. Mainly for long distance accuracy.

Excellent for future reference:

UNSCWeaponChart.gif

I'm not sure how 'accurate' it is to real life but it can be found here. nikon.bungie.org

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Matsuo @ Jan 2 2007, 12:58 PM) [snapback]1388993[/snapback]</div>
Is the scope/targeting integrated through the helmet? This would explain the lack of a shoulder stock, though looking at it I think it's safe to assume provisions for an extendable stock are there they just arent used.

M
[/b]
You may have something there, Matt. There are varients of cross-hair / heads up targeting displays depending on which weapon is selected. (At least for the MC.) The one visible with this AR is unique to it. ...and yeah, I think it should have an extendable stock. The seam lines, certainly, suggest it.

Question: Does anyone have any info on the magazine release detail? ...and the shape of the magazine?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tommin @ Jan 3 2007, 10:38 AM) [snapback]1389588[/snapback]</div>
Question: Does anyone have any info on the magazine release detail? ...and the shape of the magazine?
[/b]

I think the roundish looking button at the top of the pistol grip is supposed to the mag release. There is one on either side, so I'm guessing its supposed to be ambidextrious. And no, that doesn't make much sense to me either. Then again, maybe its the safety. In fact the more I look at it and its cousin, the Battle Rifle, I'm pretty positive its the safety, so disregard the first two sentances. There are so many oddities on this thing, you cant help but go a little nuts trying to figure them out.
The magazine is supposed to be straight, thats why I originally wanted to use a FAMAS as the base for an airsoft version. I cant find any images to support this as the programmers didn't see fit to show the actual magazine in the reloading animation in the game.

Brian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LittleOleBountyHunter @ Jan 2 2007, 01:30 PM) [snapback]1389008[/snapback]</div>
The assault rifle was used for the same purpose as its name, Assault. In the game, it was powerful, mainly towards the Scorpion(tank) and the Warthog(hummer-esque vehicle) esueing the most damage to those vehicles. [/b]
I've always thought you needed the rocket launcher to neutralize these two vehicles. :unsure Sorry for missing your post earlier.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Weazel1 @ Jan 3 2007, 07:13 PM) [snapback]1389981[/snapback]</div>
I think the roundish looking button at the top of the pistol grip is supposed to the mag release. There is one on either side, so I'm guessing its supposed to be ambidextrious. And no, that doesn't make much sense to me either. Then again, maybe its the safety. In fact the more I look at it and its cousin, the Battle Rifle, I'm pretty positive its the safety, so disregard the first two sentances. There are so many oddities on this thing, you cant help but go a little nuts trying to figure them out. [/b]
That would make sense to put the magazine release there but tricky to scratch build. How would you fellas feel about some sort of button on the bottom of the grip near the absolute minimum of the arc there. The idea is such that one could grasp the magazine and press the release with the index finger.

After looking at this image again:

marines.jpg

There is no way that AR could be 87.6cm in length. Opinions on scaling this thing down a tad?

I am VERY interested in this as well. I would even like to see a LARGE magnet set inside so it can attatch to the back side of a troopers armor.

Cant wait to see if someone can make these.

Damian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tommin @ Jan 4 2007, 12:37 PM) [snapback]1390405[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LittleOleBountyHunter @ Jan 2 2007, 01:30 PM) [snapback]1389008[/snapback]
The assault rifle was used for the same purpose as its name, Assault. In the game, it was powerful, mainly towards the Scorpion(tank) and the Warthog(hummer-esque vehicle) esueing the most damage to those vehicles. [/b]
I've always thought you needed the rocket launcher to neutralize these two vehicles. :unsure Sorry for missing your post earlier.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Weazel1 @ Jan 3 2007, 07:13 PM) [snapback]1389981[/snapback]</div>
I think the roundish looking button at the top of the pistol grip is supposed to the mag release. There is one on either side, so I'm guessing its supposed to be ambidextrious. And no, that doesn't make much sense to me either. Then again, maybe its the safety. In fact the more I look at it and its cousin, the Battle Rifle, I'm pretty positive its the safety, so disregard the first two sentances. There are so many oddities on this thing, you cant help but go a little nuts trying to figure them out. [/b]
That would make sense to put the magazine release there but tricky to scratch build. How would you fellas feel about some sort of button on the bottom of the grip near the absolute minimum of the arc there. The idea is such that one could grasp the magazine and press the release with the index finger.

After looking at this image again:

marines.jpg

There is no way that AR could be 87.6cm in length. Opinions on scaling this thing down a tad?
[/b][/quote]

Well, curiosity got the better of me, so I printed and mounted to foam core the scaled image of the rifle. Its surprisingly comfortable and is no where near as unweildly as I thought it would be. Heres a pic of my friend Bill holding the finished product.
[attachmentid=11877]
Bills 5'9" and the rifle, while still largish, is no more oversize than, say, an M4 or similar weapon. It just looks clunky.

So I'd say stick with the established size. Its no worse than a SST Morita :p

Brian

I still think it needs to be smaller than that.
From the pictures with those marines, it appears that it wouldnt come far past the knee when standing end to end on the floor like in the second picture you have there, where as at that size, it comes up to your friends waist.
My rough estimate would be somewhere around 26" to 28" in length.

Anyone else care to weigh in?

Edit: Forgot to mention, I quickly took a couple of screen caps of the magazine from the game when you reload the rifle. They're pretty dark though, so I'll lighten them up and post them up here later on

I've actully been wanting to build somthing like this for a while now. I don't know about how much any of you about GBB(Gas Blow Back) airsoft guns so I try my best to explain. If you used say, a Glock 18c for the base, you could connect a metal bar to the slide so that it is very realistic when fired(the firing pin would go back and forth). and when you load a new magazine in it you have to pull the firing pin back to load it. but that would mean you would have to scratch build the entire outer shell and lengthen the barrel etc. Sorry if you dont get what I mean I'll to get some sketches done so you guy can understand me better.

Here's is where I origanally got the idea.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ianandwendyco...pics/wa2000.htm

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guardian Devil @ Jan 4 2007, 10:52 PM) [snapback]1390632[/snapback]</div>
From the pictures with those marines, it appears that it wouldnt come far past the knee when standing end to end on the floor like in the second picture you have there, where as at that size, it comes up to your friends waist.

Anyone else care to weigh in?

Edit: Forgot to mention, I quickly took a couple of screen caps of the magazine from the game when you reload the rifle. They're pretty dark though, so I'll lighten them up and post them up here later on
[/b]

I say keep the larger size. It looks more impressive..

When I made my BR, it was almost that same size without even trying. Of course, I'm 6'3" already and made it to fit me...and even then it's plenty big. For an average size person wearing armor, it's almost too big. However, if you're just looking for a prop that's not for costuming, you could get away with it.

Derek
DCP_2018.jpg

DCP_2022.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cptnchaos @ Jan 4 2007, 01:40 PM) [snapback]1390509[/snapback]</div>
I am VERY interested in this as well. I would even like to see a LARGE magnet set inside so it can attatch to the back side of a troopers armor.
Cant wait to see if someone can make these.
Damian[/b]
Excellent suggestion. We'll keep that in mind, bud. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Weazel1 @ Jan 4 2007, 03:36 PM) [snapback]1390580[/snapback]</div>
Well, curiosity got the better of me, so I printed and mounted to foam core the scaled image of the rifle. Its surprisingly comfortable and is no where near as unweildly as I thought it would be. Heres a pic of my friend Bill holding the finished product.
[attachmentid=11877]
Bills 5'9" and the rifle, while still largish, is no more oversize than, say, an M4 or similar weapon. It just looks clunky.

So I'd say stick with the established size. Its no worse than a SST Morita :p

Brian
[/b]
Lookin' great, Brian. Is your drawing vector based? Tell your friend Bill thank you for being such a good sport. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guardian Devil @ Jan 4 2007, 04:52 PM) [snapback]1390632[/snapback]</div>

Anyone else care to weigh in?[/b]
I'm thinking along the same lines. 26" to 28" is a good length for an AR in my opinion. Thanks for posting up those screen caps of the magazine. Very helpful.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MaddChinaMan @ Jan 4 2007, 06:15 PM) [snapback]1390701[/snapback]</div>
I've actully been wanting to build somthing like this for a while now. I don't know about how much any of you about GBB(Gas Blow Back) airsoft guns so I try my best to explain. If you used say, a Glock 18c for the base, you could connect a metal bar to the slide so that it is very realistic when fired(the firing pin would go back and forth). and when you load a new magazine in it you have to pull the firing pin back to load it. but that would mean you would have to scratch build the entire outer shell and lengthen the barrel etc. Sorry if you dont get what I mean I'll to get some sketches done so you guy can understand me better.

Here's is where I origanally got the idea.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ianandwendyco...pics/wa2000.htm
[/b]
It would be nice to work something like that into this piece. I'll look into it. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cptnchaos @ Jan 4 2007, 06:45 PM) [snapback]1390724[/snapback]</div>
I say keep the larger size. It looks more impressive..[/b]
Can't argue with that. :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jedidentist @ Jan 4 2007, 06:57 PM) [snapback]1390731[/snapback]</div>
When I made my BR, it was almost that same size without even trying. Of course, I'm 6'3" already and made it to fit me...and even then it's plenty big. For an average size person wearing armor, it's almost too big. However, if you're just looking for a prop that's not for costuming, you could get away with it.
Derek[/b]
:eek That's some nice looking gear you have there.. Am I understanding you correctly in that you would suggest scaling the AR down from the 87.6cm?

Adjusting topic title to get some more input on length. Please remain seated until the captain gives the word to move about the cabin. Emergency exits can be located to the left at both ends of the center aisle. If you will need special assistance, an attendant will be with you shortly. Thank you. :D

Time to throw in yet another opinion ( I've thrown in so few thus far :rolleyes ) It seems to me if we scale back the size, we might end up losing "The Look" of the rifle. What I mean is we would end up rescaling only parts of it (foregrip, front shroud, and main body) while needing to keep the same size for the pistol grip, and mag housing. Right now, the opening for the hand is about right, make it any smaller and it will be uncomfortable to hold. Keep it the same size while reducing the length of the rest of the AR, and you'll end up with an "action figure" looking weapon. I don't know about the rest of you, but my kung-fu grip aint what it used to be.

So I say keep it the way it is. It really isn't any longer than some of its real-world counterparts, and as I said before, its surprisingly comfortable to hold.
No, the drawing isn't a vector, I just blew up the first image I posted to the length of the AR. I've thought of breaking down the individual sections in a vector format to help figure out a way to tool a master, but never got past the planning stages. My ambition usually outpaces my abillaties :unsure

Brian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Weazel1 @ Jan 5 2007, 11:04 AM) [snapback]1391113[/snapback]</div>
Time to throw in yet another opinion ( I've thrown in so few thus far :rolleyes ) It seems to me if we scale back the size, we might end up losing "The Look" of the rifle. What I mean is we would end up rescaling only parts of it (foregrip, front shroud, and main body) while needing to keep the same size for the pistol grip, and mag housing. Right now, the opening for the hand is about right, make it any smaller and it will be uncomfortable to hold. Keep it the same size while reducing the length of the rest of the AR, and you'll end up with an "action figure" looking weapon. I don't know about the rest of you, but my kung-fu grip aint what it used to be.[/b]
I want so see everyone's opinion on this AR and am glad you've been sticking with the flow of this thread, Brian. :) I see what you mean with the grip but think there is a wide enough latitude to scale everything down just a little. The last thing we would want would be for this weapon's features to fall out of correct proportion.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Weazel1 @ Jan 5 2007, 11:04 AM) [snapback]1391113[/snapback]</div>
So I say keep it the way it is. It really isn't any longer than some of its real-world counterparts, and as I said before, its surprisingly comfortable to hold.
No, the drawing isn't a vector, I just blew up the first image I posted to the length of the AR. I've thought of breaking down the individual sections in a vector format to help figure out a way to tool a master, but never got past the planning stages. My ambition usually outpaces my abillaties :unsure
Brian
[/b]
I, personally, don't agree with keeping it the way it is. But, hay.. ...it keeps the topic active eh? :D Although it may be comfortable to hold as a sheet of foam core, when it goes 3D and you start adding fiberglass, resin, ABS, metal, etc, you won't be able to swap magazines with one hand. Your drawing is very nice. I've printed a copy this afternoon and plan to study it over the next few days. You've done an excellent job with this. :)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back