Half Life 2 civil protection WIP build - starting the uniform (Page 6)

Re: Half Life 2 civil protection WIP build - Mask mold finished! (Page 5)

Slush casting requires lots of patience and flow control! I learned that lesson too, the hard way.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Tough one as there is not a lot to work with. At this point you might just want to expand your mother mold and use it to catch any excess resin as you slush it around. Just put a barrier on the mother mold before each cast.

I might be concerned about the thickness of your silicone, though. If it is thin enough to see light through that might cause a problem after a few casts, if not the first. When you go to remold it, somewhere down the road, build a bigger lip on the original piece, and do an extra layer or two of the silicone for added support.

Made an account just to tell you what an awesome job you're doing on this build!

I'm still in the planning process of making my own and your work is really inspiring! I'm currently trying to figure out how to do the bottom part of the mask in the back, where the ear pieces are. In the reference photo you posted here:http://i.imgur.com/oIRTkec.jpg it looks like it could even be a stiffened canvas fabric collar, with the ear discs embedded into it somehow. I'm trying to figure out how I could do this without hindering movement when turning my head. Were you planning on doing something like that, or adding on a lower piece to the actual helmet?

As do I... It seems to have kinda fallen to the wayside.
I really wanted to buy one of his casts...

I was thinking about making my own helmet, but looking back at all the work that went into this, I would definitely be on board as well.

Made an account just to tell you what an awesome job you're doing on this build!

I'm still in the planning process of making my own and your work is really inspiring! I'm currently trying to figure out how to do the bottom part of the mask in the back, where the ear pieces are. In the reference photo you posted here:http://i.imgur.com/oIRTkec.jpg it looks like it could even be a stiffened canvas fabric collar, with the ear discs embedded into it somehow. I'm trying to figure out how I could do this without hindering movement when turning my head. Were you planning on doing something like that, or adding on a lower piece to the actual helmet?

I was imagining it as maybe a stiff piece attached to the helmet, but I'm not sure how to actually go about constructing it. It's a pretty complex little piece.

I'm still intending to finish the casts, everyone. It's just been busy and difficult to work up the motivation when the casts seem like they're going to inevitably go very messily. I was thinking of trying some of the rest of the costume like the tunic/vest to get my inspiration back. But first I need to create a body form to work from. Perhaps using the duct tape method.

Very happy to see an update from you, thanks!
Can't wait to see more!

Since I'm a bit burned out on the helmet, I'm moving on to the uniform. I already have pants and boots, but the vest/tunic thing remain unmade. I created a duct tape body form and just finished tracing out preliminary patterns from the game files. Keep in mind they're a bit distorted because of the UV mapping in the game, so I'll probably end up having to eyeball a lot of it. I've never sewn before so I am not quite sure where to start. I guess I should cut out some newspaper and pin it to my mannequin and go from there?

bodyform.JPG

patterns.jpg

lettering.jpg

And if anyone has an idea for how to make this lettering, I'd like to hear it! Should it be embroidered?

EDIT:
By the way, if anyone is looking to start their own costume, I found some perfect green pants at Forever 21 (men's section). I don't know if they're still selling them everywhere but it's worth a look. They're a good price, I think I got mine for around 20 dollars.

Here they are! They look greener in real life, less blue.

Last edited:

Thread is not dead!
And maybe silk screening the lettering?
Embroidering would probably look best, though.

That's what I was thinking. Is it possible to do that myself or would I have to get it done professionally? I don't think I'd do a very good job by hand.

It might be easier to have it made into a patch, and sew the patch on. It may be slightly less authentic, but again the material is so low res in that area I think it wouldn't be too egregious.

Plus, most custom patches have to be bought in fairly large bulk, and you could recoup some of that cost by selling the patches. Maybe figure out all of the patches you have to make for the whole costume and sell them as a set.

That has me thinking, maybe try talking to a patch mater on Etsy. I've ordered custom Ghostbusters name tags from Katarra8 for $10. I bet you could explain your needs to her and work something out. Maybe send her a couple feet of the fabric to be embroidered. Just a thought.

I might have the original in game file. I made it a hobby to convert the .mds and .smd files into .skp files

I'll look around for it.

Last edited:
Well I have the original game file--the problem is that it's too low-detail to be used for much other than reference. All the detail is in the texture, and what's there is also very low-res.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back