Half Life 2 civil protection WIP build - starting the uniform (Page 6)

Re: Half Life 2 civil protection WIP build - first costume, have questions

Rooting for you as well!
(Also, noticed the RoosterTeeth Podcast on in the background there. Excellent Choice.)

Yes, RT Podcast is the greatest thing.

Also, I did it...

gL4Aftl.jpg

4M1EZjL.jpg

Guess it's time to order some urethane resin :eek

EDIT: Ordered 1 gallon of Smooth-Cast 300 from Smooth-On.

Last edited:

Props to you man! cant wait to get ahold of your sold casts, thing of beauty this thing!

Re: Half Life 2 civil protection WIP build - Mask mold finished! (Page 5)

Thanks guys! Just waiting impatiently for the plastic to come now. :p

Super stoked!

unsolicited advice: when casting, do many thin layers of urethane, and work in sections. It's better to make less resin than more and end up with a glob somewhere.

Thanks Diegator, I was thinking about that. Now I know! In other news, Smooth-On shipped the plastic today, and it's supposed to arrive on Thursday! If all goes according to plan you folks will see at least one casting by the end of next weekend!

Just wanted to say that I've made an account just to mention how incredibly awesome Rubber Slug's mask is.

Most certainly going to be watching his thread like a hawk because I've been working on my own Civil Protection uniform and what he's making is the most important trademark component. Can't wait for him to start producing extra masks just like some other fellows have mentioned.

I know he's been working on this since January 30th of 2013, but one can only hope that some day in the near future that he completes his work. But with that said, keep up the amazing work. There are more people hoping to see the end result of your labor than you know.

Till then... Unit is 10-8 standing by. We are socio-stable this location, clear and code 100.

Last edited:

Hey guys, sorry for not updating you all on the progress! I still haven't gotten another cast done (I know, I'm terrible). The reasons are that the lip on my mold wasn't quite as there as it should have been, so I spilled (wasted) a lot of plastic. I should also mention that I slightly damaged the mold when I was removing it from the master, so each casting will require a little attention in the form of some bondo and sandpaper.

Since then, I started waiting for it to get warmer so that I could do the messy work of casting in my basement instead of the living room, and then life got REAL busy, and tomorrow at 3:00 am I'm going on a plane to Ecuador to visit the Galapagos. I'll be back at the end of May.

I swear I'll get back to work on this when I return. You all are an inspiration and I love you guys!

PS: if anyone has an idea for how to create a lip on the mold after it's been taken off the master, I'm all ears.

It's alright dude, I thank you for your courteous update regarding the progress. I've been trying pretty hard to get this Russian PMG Gas Mask to work. Although it's close in appearance, it's not the same as a really high quality replication that you've done. I still work on the PMG Gas Mask for hobby and fun, such as dark lenses for the eyes and even a speaker system installed for a voice encoder, so I can talk to people with a Combine Voice. Here's a clip of the fella that originally gave me the idea:

(Note: The owner of that video is referred to as "Combine Kyle" from other threads if I am correct. If you're looking for this voice encoder he's stated in his replies that it's: "VOICE CHANGER 3 DIFFERENT EERIE VOICES LICENSED 9291 FUN WORLD - Type that in ebay.". However this is available on Amazon as well, simply search for "9291 FUN WORLD". Or simply click this Amazon link: HERE. This has the following settings - On / Monster / Alien / Own. The Monster setting is what you want to use for sounding like a Combine. Also you can switch to "Own" if you need to speak to someone clearly. It's cheap and it does the job.)

But with that said, I'm still building my costume, maybe sometime I'll post a thread about what I've done. But till then, here's a tidbit:

The most interesting thing for the costume is the oldschool Radio Shack scanner that I had modified. It has the likeness of a two-way radio, which then I spliced a 3mm headphone jack into it and I can connect it to an MP3 Player.

This is so while I cosplay I can play ambient radio chatter from the game as I walk around with it attached to my police belt. Not only was the radio chatter recorded from the game, but also I exported the sound files into .wma format and I can arrange them in the Windows Media Player. After compiling the various clips, I can turn them into a 1-3 minute string of 'communication' so it sounds like there's an incident and they're relaying information back and forth. It really gives off an amazing 'aura' so to say, as it is what you had experienced in game.

My goal is to possibly hit up a convention in the fall this year so there's still plenty of time to work. However, I know it still may be hot in the fall. If not, I can ultimately do it between winter to early spring.

All the same, enjoy your time out in the tropics!

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow. I've been playing HL2RP for 5 years, waiting on something like this. Magnificent, far closer to the game than the Soviet gas masks. I signed up for this forum just for you. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope to see the finished project.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back