Half Life 2 civil protection WIP build - starting the uniform (Page 6)

You may want to check out rundown's thread. I just noticed that he began making a 3D import of the Civil Protection / Metrocop helmet. He says he's trying to get that ready for a 3D printer. So be sure to check that out!
Good man, Good man. Danke.
I tried my hand at making a vest out of some old curtains the other day. All freehand. Not only does it not fit me, but it's correct either! An attempt is all that I will call it, haha.

Hey, first off hello, this is my first time on this forum so please be gentle!

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments on my work, I really appreciate it, and yes it is all my own work, the Base was a pep I found somewhere then the rest is by me, to try and help you out a bit I used the pep first, then what I do is fiberglass resin the card, then I rondo the inside then bondo the outside, and then sand sand sand, the filters where made from a salt container and upholstery pins for the dots, around the back, for the "metal" part, I cut in a Grove with a dremel then used wire glued in for the Crown bits, anyway sorry if this makes no sense, I'm not the best at explaining myself, you can find me on instagram (matson23) and I will happily help you if I can, your metro cop is looking fantastic! Keep it up!

Hey, first off hello, this is my first time on this forum so please be gentle!

Hey Matson23! I honestly didn't know if you had a username here on these forums. Thank you so much for your pictures for your Metrocop helmet and your information. No doubt you've made great helmets before, but the Civil Protection helmet is something really difficult to find and I was really glad to see that someone else that did it.

I'm actually surprised how many people who have made a cosplay for Metrocop / Civil Protection have come out of the woodwork within the last few months of 2014 to contribute. The time couldn't be better. I know you may feel as if a few pictures may not be much, but thank you so much for doing what you did. The Metrocop helmet is just such an odd design that it's quite bizarre to see in reality. Although depicted in game and pictures taken by people that have recreated it, it's almost a mystery trying to figure out how it really 'fits' on the head because how long it is in the face.

I'm still debating on making my own helmet, but with rundown making his export to 3D Printers and possibly Pepakura I'll be sure to take plenty of suggestions between you, him, Rubber Slug and more. But if you're gonna hang around awhile on our forums, I'm sure most of us making helmets in the future would appreciate your advice. If you've made more than just the helmet, let us know what you did for the suit. And pictures would be great!

I know it may be odd to hit up this forum and get a flood of appreciation, but trust me, I'm sure that I and many others love the credit you've done to your Metrocop mask. By the way, nice to finally speak to you! Thank you again all the same!

Hey Matson23! I honestly didn't know if you had a username here on these forums. Thank you so much for your pictures for your Metrocop helmet and your information. No doubt you've made great helmets before, but the Civil Protection helmet is something really difficult to find and I was really glad to see that someone else that did it.

I'm actually surprised how many people who have made a cosplay for Metrocop / Civil Protection have come out of the woodwork within the last few months of 2014 to contribute. The time couldn't be better. I know you may feel as if a few pictures may not be much, but thank you so much for doing what you did. The Metrocop helmet is just such an odd design that it's quite bizarre to see in reality. Although depicted in game and pictures taken by people that have recreated it, it's almost a mystery trying to figure out how it really 'fits' on the head because how long it is in the face.

I'm still debating on making my own helmet, but with rundown making his export to 3D Printers and possibly Pepakura I'll be sure to take plenty of suggestions between you, him, Rubber Slug and more. But if you're gonna hang around awhile on our forums, I'm sure most of us making helmets in the future would appreciate your advice. If you've made more than just the helmet, let us know what you did for the suit. And pictures would be great!

I know it may be odd to hit up this forum and get a flood of appreciation, but trust me, I'm sure that I and many others love the credit you've done to your Metrocop mask. By the way, nice to finally speak to you! Thank you again all the same!

Hey, well, I made a user name a while ago but seeing the quality of work and people doing casting etc I was very intimidated, so thank you for the warm welcome, I work on a very tight budget so casting is out of the question for me at the moment, most of my work is pep or scratch build stuff, I mainly work on helmets but dabble in weapons and a few costumes, erm, boba fett helmets (empire and Ralph Macquarrie concepts) fallout t-45 helmet and started on armour, 3/4 sized companion cube, thors hammer, skyrim Nordic helms plus lots of other bits and bobs, here probably isn't the place to put them but I'll post a few pics just so you know I'm legit, (it's not letting me, tried png files and jpeg but no luck, is it because I'm new or something?)

Back to the helm in hand, yes it's a weird one, I studied the game footage for a while and figure out best I could the shape, (what's the score with posting pep on here? I could post the pep I used but I'm not sure where I got it from and who's it is, and I really don't want to offend anyone's hard work by reposting it without permission.)
Anyway after reading this thread I noticed you when discussing the back part of the lid, the almost leather looking bit, well first off, don't do it in leather Haha, I tried that and it didn't work, long story short it wouldn't confirm. With the underside of the helmet and kept distorting, maybe a seasoned sewer would have more luck, but anyway I used 2mm foam sheets, velcro'd to the under side of the lid, for the ears, I had to make a small vac-u-form and made a template from wood and plastic, then I cut up Pepsi bottles for the plastic, heated and formed them over the mold, (pictures to follow, if you can help me figure out why it won't let me post them, just keeps saying invalid file, but I'm using the correct format) paint wise I used a dark brown mixed with pva to help the first few coats stick, then put it all together, I have yet to do the greebles on the inside of the ears,

Anyway if you can somehow help me get the pictures up it'll make more sense because my writing is horrid and I apologise Haha.

Hey, well, I made a user name a while ago but seeing the quality of work and people doing casting etc I was very intimidated, so thank you for the warm welcome, I work on a very tight budget so casting is out of the question for me at the moment, most of my work is pep or scratch build stuff, I mainly work on helmets but dabble in weapons and a few costumes, erm, boba fett helmets (empire and Ralph Macquarrie concepts) fallout t-45 helmet and started on armour, 3/4 sized companion cube, thors hammer, skyrim Nordic helms plus lots of other bits and bobs, here probably isn't the place to put them but I'll post a few pics just so you know I'm legit, (it's not letting me, tried png files and jpeg but no luck, is it because I'm new or something?)

Back to the helm in hand, yes it's a weird one, I studied the game footage for a while and figure out best I could the shape, (what's the score with posting pep on here? I could post the pep I used but I'm not sure where I got it from and who's it is, and I really don't want to offend anyone's hard work by reposting it without permission.)
Anyway after reading this thread I noticed you when discussing the back part of the lid, the almost leather looking bit, well first off, don't do it in leather Haha, I tried that and it didn't work, long story short it wouldn't confirm. With the underside of the helmet and kept distorting, maybe a seasoned sewer would have more luck, but anyway I used 2mm foam sheets, velcro'd to the under side of the lid, for the ears, I had to make a small vac-u-form and made a template from wood and plastic, then I cut up Pepsi bottles for the plastic, heated and formed them over the mold, (pictures to follow, if you can help me figure out why it won't let me post them, just keeps saying invalid file, but I'm using the correct format) paint wise I used a dark brown mixed with pva to help the first few coats stick, then put it all together, I have yet to do the greebles on the inside of the ears,

Anyway if you can somehow help me get the pictures up it'll make more sense because my writing is horrid and I apologise Haha.

With the underside of the helmet and kept distorting, maybe a seasoned sewer would have more luck, but anyway I used 2mm foam sheets, velcro'd to the under side of the lid, for the ears, I had to make a small vac-u-form and made a template from wood and plastic, then I cut up Pepsi bottles for the plastic, heated and formed them over the mold, (pictures to follow, if you can help me figure out why it won't let me post them, just keeps saying invalid file, but I'm using the correct format) paint wise I used a dark brown mixed with pva to help the first few coats stick, then put it all together, I have yet to do the greebles on the inside of the ears,

I'm not sure what may be inhibiting you from uploading pictures. The policies around here regarding new users aren't particularly welcoming, even though you've been around since 2012. It may have to do with the required minimum of 50 posts. But don't quote me on that.

The easiest thing you can do is to try and insert a picture using a URL / Link / Web Address to the picture itself. You have quite a few pictures on your other websites, so you may want to use a link from there rather than upload them if you're having difficulty. If that still doesn't take, you can simply use a Hyperlink to direct them to where they can see it if it cannot be displayed in this thread.

Rubber Slug still has to finish the back of his helmet, but he's put it aside for now. So if you have any ideas or made progress in that department, by all means feel free to share. I'm sure he'd appreciate it as much as I would.

On another note...

Now to offer a suggestion in regards your inquiry about Pepakura... If you have a link or the file, I don't think there would be an issue uploading it or sharing it here. If you remember where you got it from, I'd just be sure to make it clear of it's author or originator. If you're unable to identify it's author or originator, simply make that clear, and perhaps someone here can identify it.

Regardless, the Pepakura file is not being used in a malicious manner, but rather a resource being freely shared to help the community as a whole. I see no harm in that and I doubt anyone would object anyway. So in my personal opinion, no harm done. Especially considering how hard it is to come across quality Pepakura files for the Metrocop / Civil Protection units.

Great to see you in here, Matson! I hope you stick around.

I made a lot of progress on the vest, although it still has some issues I'm scratching my head over.

vest2.jpg

Here's the whole ensemble minus the mask again. Sorry for the terrible quality, but I didn't want to bother with setting up my camera and tripod, so I just used my laptop's webcam.

Still have to figure out what to do about the jacket.

I made a lot of progress on the vest, although it still has some issues I'm scratching my head over.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3911100/vest2.jpg

Here's the whole ensemble minus the mask again. Sorry for the terrible quality, but I didn't want to bother with setting up my camera and tripod, so I just used my laptop's webcam.

wow this is nice, looks spot on!

im not very tech savvy but i was trying to post from my phone plugged into my computer to here, i guess thats a no no, anyways

IMG_1153 - Copy.JPGthats the starting pep
IMG_1175.JPGafter sanding
IMG_1210.JPGdetailing to the back
IMG_1251.JPGthats a failed leather attempt
IMG_1243.JPGfront first primer
IMG_1240.JPGthe filter made from plastic found parts
IMG_1333.JPGthe back foam insert piece,velcro'd in place
IMG_1351-1841629045.JPGear piece vac-u-formed from a bottle
IMG_1356.JPGstill need to do the greebles inside the ears

there more pics if anyone requires them,i havent done any of the unform to be honest just yet, but its something i want to get round too,

Hey dude, I see you've touched up the vest, progress looks great. Also I wanted to shoot some information your way for the belt as I've already incorporated them to my suit. If you look at the belt, you can see there's actually a couple chrome items. These items will allow you to accent the belt and get closer to an authentic look without breaking the bank.

1. Side Chrome Belt Keepers (Spraypaint Chrome/Metallic) = Plastic Triglide Slides 2"
(Note: It actually took me abit of time to actually find the proper terminology of the 'Triglide Slides' as they are often incorrectly referred to as 'Belt Keepers' or 'Belt Retainers'. So if you do a search, make sure you search for 'Triglide Slide'. Also, they come in different sizes from 1" to 2", so find one that fits in plastic, rough up the surface, then spraypaint with a chrome/metallic spray and they'll look great.)

2. Front Chrome Circular Grommets = Dritz Large Eyelet Kit
(Note: If you look at the front of the belt, beside the buckles, you'll notice there's a pair of chrome circular grommets. If you're going for a spot-on look, make sure you pickup that cheap kit. Cut a small hole, then seat the grommets in there. It'll get you closer to the look you're going for.)

As you can see, these are pretty cheap in cost to keep you within a reasonable budget. Hopefully this will help you get closer to that accuracy that you're going for, or at least in the right direction. As always, food for thought. Enjoy!

Excellent! making some good progress I see.

I'm looking forward to the final piece, get working! :p

I need people in London who do more stuff like this, I don't really notice many computer games characters this end, we get Ironmen, Thors, lots of other Marvel stuff, portal stuff, but not much half life! I've just started on part 2 of my ensemble, the Headcrab Zombie, going to try and do a short film but hey need to finish the suits before I can even think of the other stuff.

haha well if I had the money I'd definitely go to London with this costume. But I live in California so that's a little expensive :p

Edit: And Metrocop, I don't think those keepers will fit my belts. They're larger than the typical webbing. Not sure if that was a good decision, but I've got them now. I was definitely gonna add some kind of chrome grommets and hopefully get chrome plates on the buckles somehow.

Last edited:

That's fantastic! The vest, gloves, pants, all work together just as they should. I'm still unsure of the jacket myself, but that is VERY nice.

Edit: And Metrocop, I don't think those keepers will fit my belts. They're larger than the typical webbing. Not sure if that was a good decision, but I've got them now. I was definitely gonna add some kind of chrome grommets and hopefully get chrome plates on the buckles somehow.

It's no problem. I'm usually familiar with military gear and I know those are by far one of the widest web belts you can get as they're probably about 2-1/4" wide. The Triglides only go up to 2", so it's only about 1/4" over but it's not a major issue.

Figured I'd also give this information as an FYI for anyone whom is looking for belts. So if you're wondering, a standard 2" duty belt would do just fine and these triglides would fit just dandy if you wanted to use them.

Food for thought!

Hello guys!

I was looking into starting an Overwatch Soldier cosplay of my own and just made an account to post here after finding/reading this thread.

I just wanted to say that everything you guys have posted so far looks FANTASTIC! Keep up the good work! It's also very intimidating for someone who doesn't really have any cosplay experience, heh :/

Lookin' good, though!!

Don't be intimidated! This is my first ever project, too.

Also I know I've been inactive here for a while. I've just been very busy and it's taken a back seat to real life for a while.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back