Half Life 2 civil protection WIP build - starting the uniform (Page 6)

Toiling about the internet again and came across yet another honorable mention as Civil Protection. The guy is KKovacin, or Kyle Kovacin. He's been making the helmet and the ballistic vest. Here's his website:

KKovacin Blogspot: Civil Protection

WP_20130822_004B.jpg

The fella actually opted to use EVA foam for the vest if you go to the website and see for yourself. Perhaps another approach would be to use EVA Foam as the skeleton underneath then cut and drape the fabric over it accordingly? Yet again, some food for thought as well. Enjoy.

You've found so many good projects in your digging! That guy really nailed the helmet. He's got the shape of the vest right too, but I don't know about using EVA foam for a soft part.

Hey! I was wondering if anyone had some tips or links to places to buy the coat for cheap. When I say cheap, I mean like really cheap! I've been struggling to find one that I like and would appreciate any help! ^^

I don't think you'll be able to find any item for the costume and just be able to use it completely unmodified, save for maybe the pants. I'm currently modifying a jacket I found in a thrift store for around $8. Just look around for the closest thing you can get. Remember how far down it hangs (upper mid-thigh) and what material and color you should be looking for. I've been trying to use synthetic materials only, as it seems more "combine."

Hey! I was wondering if anyone had some tips or links to places to buy the coat for cheap. When I say cheap, I mean like really cheap! I've been struggling to find one that I like and would appreciate any help! ^^

Hey music, I have an idea for you. Although I'm not sure if you're referring to the vest or the undercoat. However I have a suggestion for both if you're trying to go low budget:

Budget Vest - LE3NO Men's Down Active Puffer Vest Jacket
(Charcoal Grey)
Budget Vest Reflector - Reflective Tape 3M Scotchlite and Ultimate Survival
Budget Undercoat - Military Black BDU 4 Pocket Coat

Budget Vest - I'm not much for sewing, so my original 'Vest' that I got was this. The vest is simply a grey puffy vest from Amazon. I have tried mine on and it really does a fairly good job. The reason why I picked that one in particular was because of how the seam buttons over, and also how high the neck collar is that you can get red lettering on the back for the C17 mark. Remember to get it in Charcoal Grey, but if you want you can do Black if in doubt.

(Note: Also if you really prefer not to damage the vest, you can easily roll up or tuck the bottom underneath the top and secure it with safety pins. However if you want to tailor it, remember to simply trim off the bottom just a hair above the top of the pocket zippers and close off what's left. Food for thought.)

Budget Vest Reflector - Rubber Slug may be interested in this tidbit of information. You're gonna need a square patch for the chest which replicates the reflector. You may find it difficult to find a 4"x4" square reflector patch. However if you want simple, get the 3M Scotchlite Roll. I personally bought the Ultimate Survival version which comes in pre-cut sizes, the reason I like it is because it has this hexagonal detailing on the reflector itself, giving that kind of 'cybernetic' look you'd expect from the Combine.

(Note: Obviously I'm taking abit of an 'artistic flare' contrary to in-game appearance where normal plain reflector tape would be 100% fine for Cosplay accuracy.)

Budget Undercoat - Simply something you can pick up from a local Army-Navy store. Ask them for a BDU shirt in black, with 4 pockets and properly sized for you. If you can get it in 'tall/long' that may be best as we're trying to simulate a larger and long undercoat. However if you can only get it in regular, don't sweat it.

(Note: If you get a BDU, you may want to look for 'Twill' as a material. If you get what's known as 'Ripstop' it has square patches in the texture. This is done for soldiers so if they actually rip the uniform, it's not going to fray and come apart completely with ease. It's not a major detail, but if you want a normal clean looking BDU then 'Twill' is the way to go.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there a few motorcycle jackets that have the same look as the undercoat. I would link but I'm on mobile.

A free years ago I went on a research binge for this outfit but I lost all my sources. There are jackets that match nearly perfectly.

I think there a few motorcycle jackets that have the same look as the undercoat. I would link but I'm on mobile.

A free years ago I went on a research binge for this outfit but I lost all my sources. There are jackets that match nearly perfectly.

I saw your comment and I wondered if there are any alternative jackets that would do. So I spent the last 1-2 hours scouring the internet from trench coats, overcoats, parkas, patrol coats, rain coats, motorcycle coats, etc. I found very few coats that looked close to the Civil Protection undercoats. But regardless, I have found a few suitable candidates, however I think both jackets are virtually the same as far as I can tell.

(Note: I had found a few others that barely look as close as these, but they are designer jackets and are like $500-$1500 coats so I threw those out the window.)

U.S. Army Trench Coat - $31.98 | U.S. Army Rain Coat - $47.99
#1 0021.jpg #2 us-genuine-issue-trench-coat-rain-coat-black-mcguire-army-navy-military-surplus.jpg

With that said, I am certainly interested to see what kind of Motorcycle jackets you found. However I am fairly happy with my findings and I think these would be most certainly suitable. But remember... if you're cosplaying a Civil Protection cop, you might want to opt for a BDU over these jackets with weather in mind. If you're hitting up a convention in the cooler fall, winter or cooler spring times, these might be up your alley. Just keep that in mind because you might be burning up with all this AND a vest on the top of it.

I may get one of these if I change my mind. The prices are pretty reasonable, can't go wrong with Military Surplus for the cost. Thanks for the ideas all the same!

Too long. They're actually like a 3/4 length trench coat. Not bad, but it wouldn't exactly be canon.
(I actually have one of those. They're nice.)

If you go to #1 website U.S. Army Trench Coat - $31.98 they sell them extra short too. But I don't know if that would be any closer to being thigh length which is appropriate for Civil Protection. It's certainly difficult to find one that has a silver zipper with split tails on either sides. I'm practically convinced this is something that has to be tailored.

If you go to #1 website U.S. Army Trench Coat - $31.98 they sell them extra short too. But I don't know if that would be any closer to being thigh length which is appropriate for Civil Protection. It's certainly difficult to find one that has a silver zipper with split tails on either sides. I'm practically convinced this is something that has to be tailored.
Well it might, but you'll shrink the arms too. That's really a fitment thing. I mean hey, it might work, who knows. I gotta go pick up dogtag silencers, I'll see if they have any. Mine is a 42L, I'll try the shortest 42 they have.

For the pants, I've found my solution.
Phased out Army Service Dress uniforms. Come in odd sizes too, since it was formal dress. Picked a pair of pants up from Goodwill for like 6 dollars.
EDIT: Ah, jacket as well perhaps. US Army ASU Jacket, I believe the same as the US Navy NSU jacket.
EDIT2: Yeah, no. I didn't quite think the jacket was so long. Either way, this jacket I bought is pretty sweet.
cvN8CXK.jpgMetrocop_blue_eyes.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is exactly what I've been looking for to gain some motivation in starting up my own project, except I'll be doing a slightly less canon trenchcoat cop, which ironically Metrocop mentions a few of the items I've already got my hands on.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/spore/images/d/d4/TrenchcoatCop.png

I'm in between jobs atm so all I'm waiting on is the time to actually start. Otherwise, fantastic job Rubber Slug. Massive kudos for your progress, and to everyone else whose helped him along the way. I'm way new to costuming, but I'm really pumped to give this a shot myself.

Hello all.

Did a Combine Civil Protection costume a few years ago.

I went with one of the actual Soviet gasmasks and just modified it. It's far from perfect, but the final product looks decent, I think.

I cut away the back of the mask and used a cheap plastic German helmet replica for the back of the metal "skull cap" portion (I melted the lines and details into it, then painted multiple coats of grey and silver and watered down black to fill in the details). I replaced the clear lenses with oval shaped cutouts from a pair of mirrored sunglasses. I used plastic clasps that I glued and sewed to both the rubber mask and the plastic skull cap sections to hold it all together. In retrospect it was unnecessary to have them so they could be undone; since it's rubber you can still fit your head into the mask without taking it apart.

The brown neck/collar part was sewn using real leather, and brass grommets. The grommets were nice because they actually allow you to hear while wearing the mask and line up almost perfectly with your ears. There was a fabric collar beneath that with a single fasten, which helped hide the seams and wires.

Used a small cat food tin to make the lower gas mask filter larger, with large industrial bolts and rubber "feet" glued on top for both.

The "headphones" I made by cutting the intricate pieces out of aluminum pop cans and half of a glow in the dark rubber ball (I never got the antenna parts done, so those are missing).

I bought an Optimus Prime voice changer helmet and stripped out the electronics for the Combine voice, and I wired the speaker from the Optimus Prime helmet into the front "snout" using a small grill to space it out so that it wasn't muffled by the industrial bolt on the front. Distorted feedback was a major problem, because the mic was only a few inches away from the speaker, I tried to fix that by putting a bunch of foam between the two to isolate things, but if I were to wear the costume again I'd probably try replacing the mic with a military throat mic or something, or figure out a better way to isolate the them.

The vest was custom made, sewn from rubberized black fabric material and the individual sections padded with foam, and coat hanger to give shape the "bomb disposal" neck part.

The under jacket was an army surplus mandarin collar coat (chosen for its length below the vest and lack of lower pockets, with the upper ones concealed by the vest), the white shoulder pads were vinyl.

Belts were made using regular webbing belt material with custom metal non-functional buckles over top of functional plastic clips.

Walkie talkie was the shell of an off the shelf walkie talkie with an iPod inside plugged into the speaker playing Combine radio dispatch chatter (too quietly to be heard at the noisy con). The smaller walkie talkie/locator thing on the opposite side of the belt was missing from my costume).

Pants were black army, with cargo pockets removed and light reflective strips sewn on (matching light reflective strips on the upper arms and for the square in the center of the vest).

Boots were off the shelf Soviet military surplus (which seem like a fair guess at what inspired Valve, given the Eastern European setting of the game and the Soviet gas mask source).

It was a very uncomfortable costume and I could only wear the mask for 5 minutes at a time, largely because of the added foam I used to try to isolate the voice changer. If I were to wear it again I'd try to add some fans/ice packs. At least there's plenty of spare pockets for ice packs..

Sorry, not the best photo of the full costume; some parts of the mask weren't adjusted properly:

combine.jpg
combine1.jpgcombine2.jpgcombine3.jpg

Loving all the contributions from you guys!

I attempted to use the unwoven polypropylene for the vest, but it didn't work out. The fabric I had harvested from reusable bags was blue, and the Rit Dye I tried didn't take at all. So I just bought some black cotton duck. That's close enough I think. The arms are a very different fabric though, and I'm wondering what to use for that. And if I should even try to sew my own arms, or if I should just try to buy something similar. Anyway, work continues!

Happy (almost) Halloween!

Hello all.

Did a Combine Civil Protection costume a few years ago...

That looks fantastic dude. I understand how one may scrutinize themselves when they're making their costume, but truly, you did a great job.

I'm personally going to take some of your own suggestions and apply it to my own costume. I really like what you did with the jacket, armband and made detailing to the helmet. Most particularly in terms of the front of the mask where you actually detailed the breathing apparatus to an existing Russian Gas Mask.

Thank you so much for sharing all the same! Now it's time to keep chipping away at my own...

I attempted to use the unwoven polypropylene for the vest, but it didn't work out. The fabric I had harvested from reusable bags was blue, and the Rit Dye I tried didn't take at all. So I just bought some black cotton duck. That's close enough I think. The arms are a very different fabric though, and I'm wondering what to use for that. And if I should even try to sew my own arms, or if I should just try to buy something similar. Anyway, work continues!

When you applied the Rit Dye, did you bleach the fabric first? Also I think reusable shopping bags are not entirely made of natural fabric, sometimes they have a percentage of being polyester or some sort of non-porous plastic to increase strength. If it is polyester or polypropylene, I'm sure that trying to dye it would be difficult as those fabrics are water repellant as far as I know.

Now that you're speaking about the arms, I'm sure you've looked at the Civil Protection model just as much or more than I have. When looking closely, you'll get the hint that not only does the CP unit have a longer black undercoat and ballistic vest, you'll also notice that he has these 'ballistic shoulder-guards'. Essentially from the shoulder down to the elbow, it's only about halfway covering the outer circumference of his biceps/triceps area.

In my personal opinion, although it's hard to tell because of the low resolution model CP model with the shoulder-guards then when comparing it to rebels with the ballistic vest without the 'shoulder-guards' on the rebels, but it seems that there may be at least two different layers.

Here, let me just use one of your older screenshots and outline it in MS Paint to explain...

gm_construct.jpg gm_construct_shoulderguards.png

So as you can see, if you look closely, you'll notice that the whole arm sleeve isn't one piece. It's actually atleast two pieces or layers. One inner sleeve which is typical to any coat/shirt for example. However from the white shoulder, down the outer bicep/tricep area and to the elbow is a ballistic 'shoulder-guard' or 'arm-guard' so to say.

I wanted to bring this to your attention before you go any further, so you had some additional ideas. Actually now that you made me think of it... I might be going about my own costume abit differently now. I feel it would be easier for you to simply purchase a jacket or coat for example, and then cut/paint/craft the shoulder-guard/arm-guard into place ontop of it to keep your budget low and minimize having to fabricate more than necessary from scratch.

So it's up to you. Just saying that it would be easier to get a simple black BDU jacket, and then stitching on some kind of canvas arm-guards over the shoulders where it is necessary.

Also, I wouldn't beat yourself up too much in regards to the undercoat. Because there seems to be some odd inconsistencies when you look at how it's actually on the model. In some areas it looks like it's by itself. Others it looks like the undercoat AND vest are one piece. But as we all know, the rebels from Half Life salvaged the vest portion, leaving the undercoat behind in their attire.

As always, food for thought...

Yep, the arms definitely have a padded area from around the elbow up. I was thinking I'd cut out a piece of fabric and sew it onto the arms there with some batting in between the two layers to give it that look. I was also going to use reflective piping for those white stripes. Haven't found a good reflective fabric for the shoulders though. For the chest reflector, I'm gonna be using one of those tapes mentioned earlier (I bought the exact same two by coincidence :p).

Edit: about the rit dye, yeah the fabric was 100% plastic I'm pretty sure now. There's not really any info on the actual bags of course, but it was basically completely water repellant.

Last edited:
I made this:

vest.jpg

It's not perfect or finished, but if I can get the back looking good it'll serve as a decent placeholder until I learn how to actually sew.

It's not perfect or finished, but if I can get the back looking good it'll serve as a decent placeholder until I learn how to actually sew.

Just threw this together quick to help clean up the outside edges. Overall, everything else looks great so far.

vest2.jpg

I'm no tailor, but I know at least this one important step. Make sure you initially lay the vest flat, with all surfaces outside-in first. The point of this is that after you sew the outside edges together, you pull the vest inside out.

What does this do? This takes all the extra material and frayed edges and pulls them inside of the vest. This leaves a clean finished appearance,. because all the unsightly frayed edges go inside the vest and out of view. Trust me, when you do it, you'll feel 100 times better that you did. This is the same technique that's used to sew pillows shut.

Don't believe me? Go look at a throw pillow if you have one on your couch. You'll see that about 90% of the pillow has clean uniform edges, however there must always be that small 10% spot which is used to pull the pillow inside out and stuffed. This small 10% spot is unavoidable, but if you're clean with your work, it'll be barely noticeable.

I have suggested that you leave that small 10% spot open by the neck. Why? Because you'll be sewing your neck collar there anyways and it'll be mostly used to meet those two edges together and will be out of sight.

Food for thought as always. All the same, great work! You got the idea.

You may want to check out rundown's thread. I just noticed that he began making a 3D import of the Civil Protection / Metrocop helmet. He says he's trying to get that ready for a 3D printer. So be sure to check that out!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back