Guardians of the Galaxy Movie Props

My base is completely done, I will have Bondo on it in the morning and hopefully done by dinner time if all goes well. I just realized looking at the last picture posted that the guns are different, being that one has the main barrel slightly extended as if it is cooling off as well as having a longer stem on the bottom. I'm not sure if thwt's what you meant but it's a pain. I won't tell if you don't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah, that's basically what I mean. The one on the left shows the gun open/extended/unloaded. While the gun on the right is closed/retracted/loaded. Therefore, both guns do both things, because they have the same moving parts. Theoretically.

What would you suggest for people making this? I'm about halfway done and I think making it in the extended or left position would be better. I doubt any of us would be able to pull off those moving parts because they are so very subtle.

image_2.jpeg

I've got a rough outline cut out! It might not make much sense since it doesn't match the profile of the gun, but I think I've got a plan.
Also, if anyone is interested, I'm doing my first attempt at blogging my progress on this build over at my website. Its a portfolio site for my graphic design work, but I'm slowing trying to build up a prop-making presence on the site was well.

My gun is very close, had to finish some orders for our Loki Helmet first which threw it off, I'll have the finished product on here soon. And my base for the helmet is almost ready for Bondo and if you like the pics I'll definitely be selling both the guns and the helmet as either finished or raw casts.

e6y4ehy5.jpg

Last edited:
This is the only picture that will load for whatever reason, when the app stops fighting me I will post the more recent progress pics as well as me holding it. The gun is 13 inches long which I extrapolated by comparing the handle to that of my 1911 extended barrel and basing it on that. I also used a straight on shot to make a grid and get an exact proportion sketched out. Once again, all these photos will be up once I can upload any more.

Screen Shot 2013-08-02 at 8.46.00 PM.png

I've been pretty busy with my real job, and with freelancing a website, so this is all I've been able to do so far. I'm pretty much finished with the inner parts of the barrels, and maybe I'll get to the outer shell later this weekend. I'm trading a friend of mine some time with my band saw for some time with his lathe, so I'm pretty excited about that. I haven't done that since my first year of college.

image.jpeg

Pretty premature since I'm not done shaping the upper casing, and haven't even finished gluing the lower body casing together, but I got over excited and primed what I had. It really changes the look of everything when its all one color instead of being able to tell that parts of it are wood and parts of it are pvc pipe.

Anyone have any thoughts, comments, or suggestions so far? I'll take any advice since this is the furthest I've ever made it with a prop and I'm about to get into territory I have no experience with.

I wasn't really sure what I was going to do for the handle. I was thinking about trying to get some laser cut stencils, but with the curvature that feels like its going be a train wreck. Can you tell me more about hydrodipping? I haven't heard of it before.

To me those blasters look like they are left and right handed, the small section at the bottom of the grip for each looks like it would sit against the holders wrist

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back