Gravity (Post-release)

Finally saw this. Outstanding movie. Not only was it the first time I believe 3D actually adds something emotionally and isn't just a hokey gimmick, it was genuinely terrifying. I think my sphincter is now clenched at a molecular level. It was like the crash scene in Flight for 90 minutes.

LOVE that Ed Harris was mission control. Great Easter Egg.

Saw this yesterday on 3D bluray.... wow, the visuals. If they had removed all the stars whenever you see Earth then I would have thought they had actually shot it in space :p 2nd best 3D picture I have ever seen :thumbsup

The plot wasn't all that great. Still... the visuals and Sandra Bullock/George Clooney made up for it. For me it is definitely Sandra's best film to date. When the credits started rolling the first thought in my mind was: "that's it? I thought it was longer than this", which I guess is a compliment.

Gotta mention the trailer... it didn't spoil the movie! Very unusual ;)

Watched it last night. Wow, what an intense movie!! And so beautiful, I really wish I had went to the theater for this one. But even through the intensity I couldn't help but chuckle and think "Shouldn't they have named her Murphy? Because everything that can possibly go wrong does indeed go wrong for this poor girl!" Really enjoyed the extras, it is just incredible what they can do these days. Even the makers were saying, that in all fairness, this should be called an animated film. Wow is it amazing to watch!!

I am glad to see that more members are discovering this movie on Blu-ray now. Right from page 1 of this thread I have been hammering the point of seeing it on the big screen. And I still get a chuckle while reading some of the early skepticism for this move.

Thankfully many other moviegoers did turn out in huge numbers for Gravity during its theatrical release and besides attaining critical success, it was a commercial success even beating Man of Steel in box office numbers worldwide. The fact that the movie is centered around a leading lady is more encouraging news for studios to make big budget spectacles while still having female centric roles.

Sandra Bullock not only gave a dramatic heartfelt performance in 2013, but was also part of one of the best comedies of last year while starring in The Heat.

I could probably not care less if the leading person is female or male, but that's me.

Right from page 1 of this thread I have been hammering the point of seeing it on the big screen.

That's okay. I have paid the people next door to come in sit next to me and be distracting with their cell phones..... :rolleyes

Just say NO to going to the theater :lol

Watched it with my 12yo as part of his space unit in home school science. we'd read a lot about gravity and watched real footage of space so it was neat to watch the way they portrayed it in the movies. Tears and hair were not realistic, and we had the same thought about her taking off her helmet in the smoke. I was a bit confused as to why she didn't shoot out into space until I realized it was her mind playing games that opened the door. The fire was pretty cool. The dead people were freaky, though I can't imagine that the hole through the head was right either.

Nitpicking only because it was a learning experience as well as fun.

I read through this entire thread and I wondered at how many discussed Sandra's butt, but nobody mentioned the philosophical theme of how precious and 'safe' our earth is to our fragile life. We keep reading about how cold and stark space is and how dangerous every mission is - how crucial it is that every one of a thousand things goes right - we spent a long time learning about Apollo 13 and watched a video on the shuttles that explained the shuttle disasters and the part that human error and politics of pressure played in it...

This movie captured the isolation of space from the rest of the human race so vividly that when she got onto land and grasped that sand, I felt a love for this world like never before.

There is so much war and so much corruption and pollution and destruction and I've always hated it all, but this movie drove home the point that we don't fully realize just how special this planet and our species and the other animals on it are. Scientists keep searching and people keep hoping for life elsewhere, but it is so distant a dream.

The other thing that has gotten to me while studying the Space Program and the politics in it (and Jules Verne's From the Earth to the Moon/Around the Moon) is how focusing on space exploration and traveling gave the best minds and powers an opportunity to put their work to something besides weapons. A space race is so much better than an arms race. Billions of dollars 'wasted' to send people into outer space is worth more than billions of dollars on weapons.

Anyway - GREAT movie. Sorry we didn't see it in the theater, but when you have kids sometimes you have to put off seeing things when they first come out.

Or how precious air is, yet we destroy the rainforrest... pollute the oceans: killing plankton, both of which create a lot of the oxygen we breathe.
Movies with a message are better than mindless explosion-montages.

Yeah!

I think they brought that out really effectively rwhen she was running out of air. When she gets into the airlock, pressurizes it and then climbs out of her suit... they then show her floating in a fetal position with the hose in a place that looks like an umbilical cord... the filmography was spectacular! It was so moving how precious her life was, how vulnerable she was...

I finally got my parents to watch this. I had lent it to them a couple of weeks ago but they kept putting off watching it, thinking it was just a space movie. No matter how many times I told them that just because it takes place in space doesn't mean it is a "space" movie. It was only after some old ladies at their church gushed about it that they finally sat down and watched it....and they LOVED it!!!

Not going to listen to their son the "space geek" but let some old religious battle axe tell them it was good and they were all over it. LOL!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back