Movie studios can be sued under false advertising laws if they release deceptive movie trailers

583BAC6A-3ACF-48C5-9ABF-C1B74043EE4C.jpeg

Show me a ludicrous warning label that is seemingly designed for idiots and I will show you an idiot that requires it…

Last edited:
The line: "But it's not the same as in the trailer" has spilled into the Costume section of the RPF a few times with members trying to reproduce costumes seen in the movie. Posters are showing different details that the movie one doesn't have...o_O
Are we supposed to sue on that one also?

I have a couple of examples ranging in extremes.
1. Avengers Infinity Wars shows the Hulk running at camera with ensemble of other heroes in Wakanda scene but while watching the movie, he barely made screen time.
- I think sometimes things like this make it to teaser trailers/trailers because they're put out early to build hype before a movie's release, eventually it comes down to editing and potential rewrites for various factors.

2. Downsizing (2017), holy crap this one was bad. Had to re-watch trailer just to make sure I wasn't misremembering and it was the official trailer. It comes off as a feel good fun movie, upbeat music, living like kings. When I finally watched it, absolutely different movie. Guy gets shrunk, his wife leaves him and takes all his money, he lives in squalor and develops a relationship with a gimped maid (not trying to be offensive, not sure how to phrase that properly) and ultimately gives up on the world by hiding in a bunker with a commune. Wow. Probably the most egregious false advertising ever.

I don't believe anyone should sue on these basis, its pointless and most people don't care, and what have you lost, a couple of hours and $20?

I am so glad that I’m not the only one that thinks that.
It’s good!?

I’ve had that on my plex for years… never pulled the trigger cuz people say it’s terrible

I had it downloaded after watching a Ted talk with the writer… he sold me on it at the time… but since then it’s just been an ignored thumbnail….

It’s good!?

I’ve had that on my plex for years… never pulled the trigger cuz people say it’s terrible

I had it downloaded after watching a Ted talk with the writer… he sold me on it at the time… but since then it’s just been an ignored thumbnail….

It’s not great, but it is pretty good. The problem is that there’s a lot of works that were released over the years inspired by the source material this film is based on, so there may be some things that might seem like it’s already been done before.

It’s good!?

Granted it's been a while, but I probably went in thinking it was bad and it wasn't at all. I think most people went in with the impression the horrible commercials gave and, it's nothing like that at all. I clearly recall thinking when i watched it that I hope the fired everyone involved with advertising it because they did the absolute worst job possible.

Wouldn't surprise to find people who saw it and said 'wth? this has nothing to do with the Terminator!!'

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back