Godzilla (2014)

Saw the trailer properly this time, on the big screen. The whole theater literally shook when Godzilla roared... just as it should. :)

Please tell you're joking about the global warming. If not this is proof that no american should be allowed to have the rights to a japanese franchise ever again. I agree it's idiotically overly large for godzilla. This is going to end up not even being worth watching on tv, i know it. I'll stick to the guy in a rubber suit.

Nope but it's a better storyline than jumping on a popular bandwagon cause. I got a bad feeling this is going to end up a social commentary movie.

It will have some amount if it is true to the source material which did as well. Humans had a role in creation of Godzilla and we brought him upon us. Godzilla must serve as a reaction of nature to human activity to some degree but also Godzilla as savior as well from some worse creature generally.
My guess is it's more than something as unimaginative and overused to caricature as AGW though. The huge sink holes imply something more powerful than some creeping climate change that takes hundreds of years.

Whatever they do, I don't think they are going to beat us over the head with it........

Edwards interview.....
Godzilla director Gareth Edwards explains the symbolism of kaiju

You have a strong political subtext in your previous movie Monsters. Did you deal with any of the politics from the original Godzilla movie?

Godzilla is a metaphor for Hiroshima in the original movie. We tried to keep that, and there are a lot of themes from '54 movie that we've kept. To me, if all we did was just have monsters smashing things up, then the film would be pointless. The great thing about the 1954 Godzilla is that beyond the spectacle and epic enjoyment of seeing giant monsters smashing a city, there's another layer to the movie that you could take or leave.

In our film, Godzilla represents a force of nature. The theme of man vs. nature creeps up a lot visually throughout the film.

Godzilla is a metaphor for Hiroshima in the original movie. We tried to keep that, and there are a lot of themes from '54 movie that we've kept. To me, if all we did was just have monsters smashing things up, then the film would be pointless. The great thing about the 1954 Godzilla is that beyond the spectacle and epic enjoyment of seeing giant monsters smashing a city, there's another layer to the movie that you could take or leave.

In our film, Godzilla represents a force of nature. The theme of man vs. nature creeps up a lot visually throughout the film.

Please tell you're joking about the global warming.

yes wes i am joking, wouldn't be surprised if by something that dumb being the excuse for a new wave Godzilla flick how ever. right now im just glad that Godzilla looks like himself, to an extent, not some "dinosaur" that attacked New York back in the 90's...

You don't find out how Godzilla was created in this movie. You have to wait for the prequel where we see giant blue alien engineers created him with black goo.

yes wes i am joking, wouldn't be surprised if by something that dumb being the excuse for a new wave Godzilla flick how ever. right now im just glad that Godzilla looks like himself, to an extent, not some "dinosaur" that attacked New York back in the 90's...

Yeah, as long as he looks and acts like freekin Godzilla should, I suppose if he was Liberace's ghost as an origin that would be ok considering how terrible the last American effort was.

I don't know how many here watched "Monsters" by Edwards. Take the time to do so and I think you can get a feel for how he weaves things.

I thought Godzilla was a prehistoric monster and that nuclear testing just awakened him from some sort of hibernation. I didn't think nuclear testing created him.
I would prefer to not know exactly where Godzilla came from. Sometimes the mystery is fun.

I thought Godzilla was a prehistoric monster and that nuclear testing just awakened him from some sort of hibernation. I didn't think nuclear testing created him.
I would prefer to not know exactly where Godzilla came from. Sometimes the mystery is fun.

He is, in one of the later movies they even show a godzillasaurus, the (fictional) dinosaur that was supposed to have been mutated into Godzilla.

I used to live the godzilla movies as a kid, but over time the guy in the rubber suit fx wore thin and i lost interest but I've always maintained a sense of interest in the godzilla genre and especially the different designs of Godzilla.
When i heard about the Roland Emmerich gidzilla novie i was excited, but sorely let down when the film turned out to be a cheesy corn fest with a godzilla design that didnt even resemble godzilla (no offense to totopolis, his design was good as a unique creature but not godzilla)

The. I heard about the new legendary picture godzilla and figured it might be the same mess...after seeing the trailer laced with an ample amount of creepiness and the choice of using music which was also used in 2001 a Space odyssey i got excited for Godzilla again.
Even got on a small fanboy surge and picked up the new Bandai Godzilla 2000 figure (my favorite godzilla design so far).

Here's hoping for the best for the big guy.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back